Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is running rich, especially at idle.

I have just replaced with new: Lambda (I actually have 3 now) and temp sensor (3 also). The filter is clean and the car actually drives very well. Problem is at idle, the stench from the zorst is terrible and the idle problem I have reminds me of rich running carb problems.

What can I check ?????

I've heard of a fuse or fuses relating to the lambaada jobby, where are these ???

I took out my plugs to find them black and sooty. These plugs (Golden Lodge) have about 20000 miles on them, how long should they last roughly. The leads are nearly new and are still in great nick.

Lots of questions, sorry.
I'm getting about 20mpg just now :eek: :( , please help !!!!

My car is a 1.8 litre 8v

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
You dont think it has anything to do with that new chip you got fitted ......................just you had it set up on the rollers with the old Idle valve fitted and now you changed it for a new one

You might need another trip on the rollers................just a thought

Btw you said in the other thread you had adjusted your idle could be its sumat to do with that..................only other thing i can think of is the temp sensor for the ecu :confused:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yeh, check the temp sensor. Just did one on a Cavalier last week. It had busted inside and only gave intermittent readings.

Failing that, check the wiring at the lambda sensor multi plug to the ECU. 155s do have a tendancy to melt/chaffe wires together- just ask Jason77. :cheese:

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Your plugs and leads don't sound like the problem. Whatever's controlling the mixture does.

Mate of mine had worn injectors that gave the same results but that would gradually creep up on you over time. Sounds like yours has just started doing it.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
marlon said:
I've heard of a fuse or fuses relating to the lambaada jobby, where are these ???
Usually to be found on the bulkhead under the bonnet. Near the middle, group of 3 relays & fuses, should be underneath a lift-off plastic cover.

Lambda heater is a 7.5A chap. Check the relay as well.

Engine temp sender is a good call as well - had one go intermittant on a Rover engine. Measured OK on the bench up to about 70 degrees, then went OC when fully hot.

Idle speed actuator change won't need another trip to the rollers - it either works or it doesn't.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys.
I found the fuses last night and gave them a clean. They weren't blown though. I also changed the plugs for good measure.
This morning the car was idling at about 650rpm until I got to work, then sat at a steady(ish) 850rpm. Maybe it was a bad connection to the fuse and the ECU has been relearning the values. The next few days will tell........I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
marlon said:
Cheers guys.
I found the fuses last night and gave them a clean. They weren't blown though. I also changed the plugs for good measure.
This morning the car was idling at about 650rpm until I got to work, then sat at a steady(ish) 850rpm. Maybe it was a bad connection to the fuse and the ECU has been relearning the values. The next few days will tell........I'll keep you posted
...also had a corroded lambda heater fuse that gave a 1-2-2-4 error code...

...so you may well have found it.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, thanks for the info Chris. The car is better now. Had a couple of flutters when sitting in traffic as the temp got to 90ish, but I'm assuming that the car still had to learn the values for that temp. It sorted itself after a few seconds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts