Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone heard of these wallets you can buy that block RFID scanners from stealing the info on your credit card ? I was looking at them on Amazon and was wondering if they actually work. I have cards with this technology on them and after reading how they can be scanned and your information stolen I was thinking of investing in one of these RFID blocking wallets.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I wondered if it would be possible to pay for someone else's shopping, by passing the till at the 'wrong' time...
Didn't consider scanners :eek:

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On a crowded train or other crowded place its easy for them to get near enough to read the chip ! Why isn't it encrypted :confused:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
You could be on to something :)

In the meamtime, I'll add foil lined wallets to my foil hat stall :lol:

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Yes, I've heard of these and after having both my credit card and debit card scammed recently (they got nothing, my bank is brilliant at spotting scammers) I was wondering where to get one.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wallet is 12 years old :eek: I think I shall treat myself :D Oh did you know if you have one of these new passports with the chip in, biometric I think its called they are also at risk :eek: Some scumbag could come along and nick your identity !

·
Registered
674 Posts
My brother noticed some strange deductions from his account. He promptly got onto his bank and they quickly refunded him.

As he works all the hours God sends and never goes near any shops he knows the only place his card could have been skimmed was one night he was forced to use his card in a petrol station because he didn't have cash. He says he knew something was dodgy about it because of the way they had constructed a perspex box around the card machine which made it impossible to cover your typing hand with your other hand.

When he reported it to the cops they said that garage was well known to them.

So both the cops and his bank obviously know what's going on but are happy to turn a blind eye. This, with the new supposedly impossible to forge chip and pin technology.

Yes, be careful out there.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
If you put another RFID type of card/tag in your wallet it'll confuse whatever is scanning it as they will scramble each other.

Another thing to know, if it's using the same tech in your passport, that naturally scrambles it's code, so without the unlock code it cannot break into the memory in the RFID chip.

Even non scrambling types of RFID is near impossible to break into.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
If you put another RFID type of card/tag in your wallet it'll confuse whatever is scanning it as they will scramble each other.
No they won't anti collision tech is built into the readers, just means it'll take longer to read, you can happily hand a stack of tags to a reader and it should sort it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts