Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help please?

I've had my 159 2.4 ti for just over 1 year now. Shortly after buying it I had the EGR and DPF removed and took it in for a Re-map. Also changed the inlet manifold and fitted a catch tank. I've probably covered close to 20K miles since. Recently, the car has developed a minor problem.

When I give it full throttle in 2nd 3rd or 4th gear, the revs rise really quickly (between 2500 and 4000 rpm) then settle but without the surge in power. It's almost like the clutch is slipping (it's not - I've tested for that).

Don't want to blame the Re-map without knowing so I haven't spoken to the people who did it. I wanted to check with you guys first. Any idea's?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4000 rpm is pretty near engine Max before the limiter should cut in, not sure what your asking
When at full throttle, accelerating through the gears, everything is normal up until the car reaches about 2500 rpm and suddenly there is an instant surge of revs up to about 4000 rpm but no significant acceleration.

It feels like it's just revving. Much like the feeling you would get if your clutch was slipping (my clutch is fine).

·
Registered
395 Posts
Your clutch is definitely slipping - that is the ONLY reason why RPM would not match wheel speed and 2500RPM is around where peak torque happens during acceleration.
Worn clutch (depending on how it was driven, it can start slipping at 30k with a maximum being around 100k) together with extra torque from remap will do it for you.
If you do something about it quickly flywheel might be still ok and you can get it done for less than £600, flywheel is extra £500 (if it has done more than 50k miles change both).
What sort of mileage has it done?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone :thumbs:

The car has done 58K, about 20K of which I've done in my ownership in the last 12 months. No doubting that it could be the clutch but I've never had to replace a clutch yet with any car I've owned and I've covered 100K with more than one of my cars (including a few that have been 'modified').

If it is the clutch slipping, wouldn't that be noticeable from low revs? It pulls away fine. I've also done a few tests for clutch slip; handbrake on, fourth gear, gentle revs, release the clutch and it stalls plus 3rd or 4th gear, constant revs, dip the clutch, revs rise immediately, off the clutch and revs drop immediately both of which would indicate the clutch is fine (I think).

The fact that it's intermittent also confuses me :confused:

Is there a dead cert, surefire way of checking the clutch before shelling out the £££'s?

·
Registered
395 Posts
58k miles for a clutch on a diesel is a decent mileage (and depending on who the previous driver was it might be a great mileage).
It would be noticeable from around where the peak torque happens - which under acceleration is happening later than the manual says.
It's definitely, clutch related, it could be binding on the input shaft (i've had it happen to me and it was also intermittent - luckily it was on 1.9 so i've managed to get that changed for just over £500 for parts + labor using a local guy in colchester) - but fixing it means taking the gearbox out anyways and if the clutch is slipping for whatever reason it will wear very quickly (and overheat the flywheel).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts