Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted in the tuning lounge to absolutely disinterest, hopefully will get a bit more here.

:)

As others have said (on another thread) the Weichers brace may have been affected by ill fitting in the past however my brace was a slotted fitting on the drivers side mount allowing for slight variations in distance between turrets.

It was simplicity itself to fit, as KGB said (on another thread) I had to relocate the nearside ABS sensor which is clipped into a small black plastic housing which is held in place by a nut. Easy enough to just undo the nut and turn the mount 180 degrees around the wiring loom to ensure it's all out of the way.

As soon as I took the car out with the brace fitted I perceived a marked difference in rigidity, as a comparison I think the difference is similar to when I changed the standard ARBs on my 1.6 twinny for 147 GTA ARBs.

The bar has made the car feel a lot taughter, testament to this was I booted it foot to the floor in second around a roundabout and managed to get some nice controllable 4 wheel slip. Before the brace I could not imagine doing this at all, the car felt like it was switching balance front to rear and felt very twitchy in fast corners, this was one of the reasons I felt that over some roads I was faster in the twinny than I would be in the GTA.

Bang for buck? Well I got the brace for £118 delivered from Alfisti.net, once order was placed with Alfisti they sent it the next day and it arrived 2 days later via DPD.

Excellent Service and Excellent communication from Alfisti, I'll probably be using them again.

All in I'm very happy, it weighs next to nothing, it looks great and it made the car a lot more drivable/chuckable.

Quality mod :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Just ordered one of these from Alfisti, along with the OMP Lower brace and an Aluminium engine tray.

I hope i get the same results, nice post GhostyDog

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice one ghosty. u got any pics? Glad youre happy with it cos I ordered one last week. I still need to pop in the bank to pay for mine though cos ive only got a god damn 'solo' card and i cant fathom paypal out.
Bank wanted to charge me £25 quid for a international money transfer (IBAN) so I changed to Paypal, far easier. Sickener about the solo card, they truy are the spawn of the devil, accepted nowhere :(

There's a pic of one on a black gta on the strut brace thread YOU started mate ;)

Just ordered one of these from Alfisti, along with the OMP Lower brace and an Aluminium engine tray.

I hope i get the same results, nice post GhostyDog
Cheers, I hope you do too, bear in mind mines a 147 with a great lump in between the turrets that really makes itself known and my car is completely standard other than the 19" lightweight wheels.

Tonight on a roundabout that has a lovely sweeping left hander coming off it that I normally have to feather the throttle on as ASR blinks like a demon I just booted it in 2nd gear and had traction all the way off the roundabout, round the corner which is quite tight and up the hill. Chuffing awesome it was, why the cars left the factory without a brace I do not know...

Lots of these :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
oops just spent £948.85 on Alfisi.net :cool:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I got the Wiechers Aluminium Strut Bar, OMP Lower Wishbone Bar, one of them Aluminum Engine Guard (as my plastic one was blown in half when my old engine gave out).

I gave in and bought a Cadamuro Rear Bumper Spoiler (With the carbon fibre Diffusor) + the Cadamuro side skirts. Should go well with my Grill. Should look good on a sportwagon.

I dont like the Cadamuro front bumper, it looks a bit OTT. Plus i love the look of the front of the 156 as it is.

Going to have to find a duplex exhaust now that wont sound loud & chavvy.

Ive driven the car over 500 miles this week and i love it so much!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oi get your own thread :p

Bloody hijackers :rant:

:lol:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I got round to fitting mine earlier this week. Alfisti delivered it very quicky as usual (faster than most places could do in the UK!)

First impressions it looks very well made and i cant believe how light it is. It now seems that me justifying the extra cash for the Aluminium version was well worth it.

The brace was very easy to fit which was a worry i had as have heard many stories of the bonnet not closing afterwards. At first i thought it would foul the brake fluid reservoir, no problem with this as it fitted in nicely, very well designed indeed. As you said GhostlyDog, the right abs sensor had to be moved slightly but that was easy.

Taking the car out for a drive i noticed the front of the car feeling more rigid. The car seems to get over bumps in the road with alot more control and sturdyness. Yes the brace has made the ride slightly more hard, i imagine the FSD's are having to work more but its still not an uncomfortable ride as some of you may imagine. FSD's only seem to work to there full effect over 35 mph when the ride gets alot smoother.

I only managed to take it for a 'spirited' drive yesterday, going round corners before i fitted the brace was still very good and i could take small roundabouts at speed easily, with little body roll. After the brace the car seems slightly more controllable round corners and the limit has been raised before the car starts to slide. Im sure there is alot more grip on both front wheels when cornering as the back starts to step out slightly at high speed.

It seems body flex is now transferred up the pillars and the dashboard creeks a bit more than before. More Flex is now more evident from the rear of the car (mind you this isnt little car there is no denying that).

Changing lanes quickly at high speed on the motorway is awesome, no body roll is present at all. Its like driving a Porsche compared with any other estate!

All in all a good product and worth having to get that little bit extra out of your car. I also have an OMP Wishbone Bar but this hasn't been fitted yet, ive been told that this will make even more difference.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Went and got me one of these, could be the placebo talking but I'm sure the front end feels flatter in a way and more rigid, either way it does look good :)

Can't say I'm happy about the €6 premium on the 147 for the same brace as the 156/GT though :tut:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Woah, just had the OMP lower brace put on. The car now feels unbelievably well put together, It has just emphasised what the Weichers brace has done but with even more stability over bumps and round corners.

A bad thing I've noticed is that i can feel the engine vibrating the whole car when idling. This must be because the engine uses the flex between the wishbones to remove vibration.

Hopefully ill get used to it as its alot more fun now.

Oh yeah and sportwagon users that regularly load up there car, a Weichers is an absolute must! it makes the car handle about 5 times better when loaded up. Had 2 Merc estates trying to stay on my tail last week, they were shamed! (And that was with a full car with the wheels pretty much in the wheel arches)

I regularly load my SW up with crate box's (full of laptops :) ) so ill have fun finding out what the OMP bar has done this weekend.

·
Registered
478 Posts
You'll be wanting a rear strut brace next :)

Orque have just brought out a new one, it's looks good in that unlike the others available it attaches to the seat hooks on the sides of the strut towers so no need to drill any holes, takes up less space and from the translation easy to unmount, from the hinges I'd imagine. Says for the 147 & GT, I'm sure it would fit the 156 SW also just not the saloon, bit steep though at ~ £225 before shipping.

Tune Up Parts - Reinforce

·
Registered
214 Posts
You'll be wanting a rear strut brace next :)

Orque have just brought out a new one, it's looks good in that unlike the others available it attaches to the seat hooks on the sides of the strut towers so no need to drill any holes, takes up less space and from the translation easy to unmount, from the hinges I'd imagine. Says for the 147 & GT, I'm sure it would fit the 156 SW also just not the saloon, bit steep though at ~ £225 before shipping.

Tune Up Parts - Reinforce
I had the other one from Orque (a bit down the page) installed and welded on the rear top mounts. I don't track the car, so can't tell you what it does to the handling, but the rear no longer makes a creaking sound (presumably from the chassis twisting) when reversing over an uneven incline into my parking space. The rear feels more planted but that is purely subjective.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts