Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you read the review in the Business Report?

They not to fond of the OPC..

Issues:
Claimed 6.0s flat.. They only got 6.8s
Gear Synchro's: Said 2nd gear grinds 8/10 times if you try to into it when driving it in anger.. It gets worse the closer you get to the red line.
Mapping: Says that as you change gears power stops for like a 10th of second and only then the taps starting opening again
Price: Said pay R30K more and buy a much faster beamer

Said it corners great and nice ride etc but not worth the price tag.. And the issues mentioned put them off to much

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Maybe they had a duff example. I drove one and it was kind of nice. Very quick, enough to be a real blast and faster than the GTI brigade. Handling was really good, especially the way it seems to control it's power delivery. That was the most impressive. No bogging down, no wheel spin, no over steer. The engine response during gear change is mapped with the suspension settings. Try to drive it hard with the softest setting and it just won't react as it should. Drive it fast in the hardest setting and it becomes blistering. But what do you expect a journalist to know. :rolleyes:

PS: I would NEVER change my 159 for one. It's cheaper inside.

And if you're wondering about my GTV, you don't know me very well, now do you...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
This report seems to echo my sentiments:

Opel Astra OPC Review | 2013 Astra OPC Hot Hatch | Reviews | Prices | Australian specifications

Check how they describe the front suspension, what Alfa engineers have fitted in the 156/147/GT and 159: "The HiPerStrut front suspension of the Astra OPC resembles the ******* lovechild of a double-wishbone setup and a conventional MacPherson Strut. But it works." It's also copied by Ford with their ST "revoknuckle" suspension. And all this was done 16 years ago...

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
most newer performance cars have this thing at the clutch that keeps power momentarily to protect the clutch.

It can however be removed by some software trickery.

I'm not too concerned about 0-100 times as it doesn't really matter. That gear synchro's are a concern for me...a newish car doing that? GQV's gear issues only arose after a while.

Also, that OPC is probably at its last performance wise, just like the previous OPC, no tunability at all as its already cranked HIGH up.

Opel is in crap and this does not help.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Any of you read the review in the Business Report?

They not to fond of the OPC..

Issues:
Claimed 6.0s flat.. They only got 6.8s
Gear Synchro's: Said 2nd gear grinds 8/10 times if you try to into it when driving it in anger.. It gets worse the closer you get to the red line.
Mapping: Says that as you change gears power stops for like a 10th of second and only then the taps starting opening again
Price: Said pay R30K more and buy a much faster beamer

Said it corners great and nice ride etc but not worth the price tag.. And the issues mentioned put them off to much[/QUOTe

Opc test featured in tonight motoring section of the Daily News.
They had the same gripes: problematic second gear, mapping issues and way too expensive.
Journo did say though, its a petrolheads motoring wet dream!

GQv is still a better car!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Most importantly for the journalist , it is not a Beemer for him....so no good

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Also, that OPC is probably at its last performance wise, just like the previous OPC, no tunability at all as its already cranked HIGH up.
Lance check youtube. The "normal" ones are getting 300bhp and more highly tuned ones are getting 350bhp. "more highly tuned" means stage 2 software, induction, downpipe and decat. So no, it can give plenty more if you know where to look.

PS: That engine is not cranked any higher than a QV engine anyway. QV engine makes 99kW/L and the OPC makes 103kW/L...

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
On what do you base this statement???
I can gladly tell you that ct OPC's are very fast, in fact they are more than willing to rove to you, when your here again, how fast they are. That's the OPC G and H.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Ag nee...you sound like a boy racer now who's been called out lol.

From speaking to various tuning companies ask them...OPC and MPS turbo's are at their last..yes you can get 400bhp if you want, for how long?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

From speaking to various tuning companies ask them...OPC and MPS turbo's are at their last..yes you can get 400bhp if you want, for how long?
yea I have heard this about the MPS'.

Although when they were first launched 191kw from a 2.3l out the factory was huge.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

Sorry, I have a low tolerance for BS....
You can't say that, cause then you might as well say that GQV's are sitting even lower. I'm sorry Lance, but did you speak to any OPEL tuners???
Go mail Amien at STO and ask him what he says about them. He is a VERY big in their tuning. Since you want a "professional's" opinion, go for it....
Afterwards please post the email conversation.....

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
ouch ok slow down kids

the mps downfall is not the turbo but the con rods.. they love to snap when you tune a little more and aslo the valves on the exhaust side are prone to burning when doing pipes. they are tunable if done right.

the OPC is another kettle of fish. for those who remember Diablo-WP who belonged to Paul Pease. 375KW on the wheels.. that was a astra G.. the H of Dannie and Daniel for those in the know will scare the pants off you wth 300 and 320 on the wheels respectively. whilst yes the tuning is harder and harder think of it this way, a stock opc has more power than a modded G on the dyno. the only think i dislike is the tuppaware interior but by no means is it a car to underestimate.. is it worth its money.. hmmmm would rather have a volvo R type but if you gave me one i would be happy

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Having been in these discussions before this will be my reply as you guys are reading incorrectly.

I said it won't be tunable as its probably at its limits, software tuning, in my previous reply I even made mention to not referring to big turbos lol.

Amiens is an Opel guy I know, the Corsa OPC that ran 12's has a big turbo...

Opposed to popular belief, I don't talk through my ass, I actually know people with OPC and MPS...I was a boy racer once remember? They would have to do double work to get the times GTi would get.
Ma ja, this is an Alfa forum and I back out of this discussion as you can clearly see tension levels are rising, it's just something about what I say on forums??? I wonder what it can be...lol

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
You won't, leave it be...explaining things on a forum has never ever worked and it won't now...my opinion is its at its peak so to speak, whether or not you guys agree does not tickle my cares, those days are done!

Sssssooo...Merc A250 anyone? Lol.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
You won't, leave it be...explaining things on a forum has never ever worked and it won't now...my opinion is its at its peak so to speak, whether or not you guys agree does not tickle my cares, those days are done!

Sssssooo...Merc A250 anyone? Lol.
I think its the keyboard ninja in you, stating things and backing it up weirdly, but then again I think thats how you earned the name Guilias, no?:cheese:

As for the MErc...
YES PLEASE!!! :D

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Lol, no...stating things and then you guys interpret it wrong...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts