Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Review of smart repairs - a cautionary tale

I had a very large stone chip on the top area of the front bumper of my car recently. I foolishly attempted to sort it myself, and when wet and dry sanding, I put a slight indent into the paint work. Not wishing to do further damage I decided to get an Ipswich smart repair company to sort out my botch job.

They have very good reviews and at the time I was sure that they would do a good job. The repair was terrible. It had a white speck in the red paint, where a piece of dust or grit had been sprayed over. But worse, the colour match was awful and made the whole area ten times worse. I can post photos soon if any one is interested to see.

They wanted to charge me £120 but knocked off £50 because of the white speck problem. Having inspected it in broad daylight (I picked the car up after work in the dark) I now realise that I am going to have to a pay a proper body shop repair place, at a cost of a couple of hundred pounds, to sort out their shoddy, amateurish work.

The moral of the story is, you get what you pay for. Do not bother with a smart repair (Chips Away etc). The only smart thing to do is go to a professional body shop and pay the extra.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Why did you pay them anything if they did such a poor job? If you ask them to do something and they try but fail, you shouldn't feel obliged to pay for their effort.
:eek:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You are right, however, I paid them a reduced amount because at the time i thought it was just the small speck of white that was a problem.

They did offer to respray, but by that time I had lost faith in them, and did not want them any where near my car, and just wanted to get out of there.

It was only the next day, when i could look at the repair closely in daylight, that i noticed the very poor colour match. So now I am in the position of trying to force them to refund me £70, which I think is a waste of time, and can do without he stress of it at the moment.

To be honest I think I should write off the £70 as a lesson learned.

·
Administrator
45,776 Posts
I think you're wrong to discount all smart repairers because you found a duff one.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think you're wrong to discount all smart repairers because you found a duff one.
Yes, you are correct, my personal experience is not enough evidence to prove all smart repairs are rubbish. But I have researched this problem, and many people argue that the only way to get a quality repair is to pay the experts. My experience backs this up.

I had some respray work done by MSO Body Repair Shop of Ipswich, and while quite expensive compared to smart repairs, it was a pretty much perfect colour match.

So, now I feel pretty foolish for trying to save money, I should have just gone to MSO in the first place.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have never used a smart repairer but I have heard some of the experienced ones are very good indeed?

I used a approved body shop when I had my Brera rear bumper resprayed a few years back and I wasn't overly impressed with their quality.

I suppose it is all down to how good the person ho is doing the job is?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
in he spirit of fairness to this company, next weekend I will post some photos of their work, so that you can make up your own mind as to the quality of repair/ colour match.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In defence of Chips Away, I have used them for a front bumper scrape on an Audi A4 and also for alloy wheel refurbs. Excellent workmanship. Without issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts