Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My Beloved 156 Selespeed T-Spark's engine blew for the final time a few months back, I had spent lots of time and money on it over the years and I think I'm the only one in the world who fitted the whole Brera front end on, see avatar. It was my first car and have spent a fair few years with it. Not bearing to part with it, I have kept it untill it can have a new engine fitted probably next year.
In the mean time it was a perfect chance to buy my dream car. 159 3.2 Q4 saloon. In case anyone wants to know what they are really like or is considering buying but not sure, here's my take on it 3 months in.

So, firstly I have actually had it five months, the first two didn't count as I was learning how to drive it, having spent a lot of time in my automatic Selespeed, I found the clutch almost impossible for the first week, and frustrating for the next few. Then once i got the hang of things it got a lot lot better.

It was the only decent one for sale in the country and when I got in it for the first time it felt different but at the same time very much the same as my 156.
It didn't seem as fast at first, my 156 Sele was a 2.0ltr T-Spark, and felt rapid around town and out on the roads, it picked up very quickly at low speeds and in low gears, it was a whole third lighter as well than the 3.2, it reacted very quickly and seemed to know what I was thinking, gear change was rapid and so was the steering rack.
So the third heavier 3.2 Q4 at first felt like driving the car from Batman Begins powerful but heavy and cumbersome, in my 156 if I began to even think about, even thinking about turning the wheel whilst at speed the car would almost 180 degree turn, but the 3.2 was slower and felt cushioned, almost too safe.
Until I learned that I wasn't even putting my foot down, The 3.2 V6 is a rapid car, you just need to get out of town and let it know by thinking big thoughts about going going fast and it will listen, then you realise that the more consistent and cushioned steering is the only way it could be or you would die. It has a low growl and higher growls depending on how much your demanding in terms of revs, Its over-taking power is immense its like there is no floor to begin with, it just doesn't like slow, around town and junctions stuff, once you get out it will make you drive like a hooligan if you let it, I have caught myself running red lights and even chasing James Bond across a quarry in Italy in his crappy aston martin.
It is about £500ish to tax for a year and whenever i have looked at the MPG on screen (which is not very often) it says between 14 and 19, so it is not a car that I would recommend for long commutes to work, It is my only car (apart from the 156 in the Garage) and I get to work on the train so I use it mostly in the evenings or days off. It seems to use double fuel to my 156 2.0
I use Shell V-Power Petrol, It tells you all the time how much oil is in it, and you can get Selenia or Equally good Castrol Edge from Halfords or Big Tescos.
I have heard it described as the best alfa sedan ever built and I would have to agree so far.
I is a completely different world of build compared to the 156, the chassis feels sturdy and springy possibly down to the four wheel drive system, it seems to almost stretch out as it runs across the world. It's insulated from the outside noise and vibrations inside are minimal to non existent, although mine came with a couple of those annoying rattles, one I have fixed the other squeak seems like its coming from the rear suspension. I have so far Put the Brera /Spider front bumper and grills on, with the Brera/Spider wheels, I have added the sports oil/fuel/clocks and sports speedos and put in a new dark grey brushed aluminium dash, Next I will get the Ti skirts, Blackened roof lining and then think long and hard about either 19" or 20" wheels as thats the expensive part, as well as the fuel. The only bad part so far is that the blind spot in your front pillar can make you have to bob and weave to see around it when your coming up to a roundabout at speed.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,533 Posts
very sharp looking car! happy to hear you're enjoying it. 159s still look so cool. Nice :)

Reactions: MalcQV

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, it's taken me the last week of evenings to haul, unclip, unscrew, unbolt, heave (lots of scraped fingers) and yank the whole interior trim out to fit the black Ti, roof lining and rear shelf, still haven't finished yet but it looks amazing so far with just the roof and pillars, re-fitted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts