Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking more and more into addons for my Giulia, 2 things I'd like is the ACC (which seems simple enough, it's just removing the steering wheel which scares the cr*p out of me ) and the reversing camera.

I know I can add a camera if I used the Eng Custom box, however that would mean adding an aftermarket camera, which I'm not too keen on.
Looking at MultiEcuScan I see that within the Body ECU there is a rear camera option, which currently is set to Not Present. Am I wrong in thinking that I could just buy the OEM reversing camera and cabling, plug it in, update Not Present to Present and do a Proxi Alignment and it would work? Or is the car computer locked down that it would need to be coded to the car using Witech?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
For camera you likely need to add looms from boot to passenger foot area (at least LHD versions) there is junction point marked D020C if I remember correclty. at least my friends 2016 Giulia had loom from radio and BCM to D020C but no the other.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For camera you likely need to add looms from boot to passenger foot area (at least LHD versions) there is junction point marked D020C if I remember correclty. at least my friends 2016 Giulia had loom from radio and BCM to D020C but no the other.
So there will be a few connections to run through to the front of the car?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
possibly, at least it was case with my friends car. this may be helpful P020 is radio, the M001 is BCM, P020 radio, K151 camera:

and this may help to locate (but it is from LHD car - I do not have one for RHD):

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
nothing difficult to do bit of soldering, lead wire through car, install camera and do proxi. probably first time will take 2-3h to somebody who undestands schematics and can find cables. maybe soon I will be installing such camera to one guy, so will make a few photos so can share.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nothing difficult to do bit of soldering, lead wire through car, install camera and do proxi. probably first time will take 2-3h to somebody who undestands schematics and can find cables. maybe soon I will be installing such camera to one guy, so will make a few photos so can share.
That'd be great if you do and could share photos

·
Registered
371 Posts
Would an aftermarket system that uses the rear view mirror as a screen be an option?

Are they any good?

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally, I want to keep it as original as possible

Reactions: cloverleaf535

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring is all ready there, for ease of production to just have one version of the wiring loom, they did on the Brera and 159.
Would be worth removing the boot lid trim and seeing if there are any spare connectors behind where the camera would sit.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring is all ready there, for ease of production to just have one version of the wiring loom, they did on the Brera and 159.
Would be worth removing the boot lid trim and seeing if there are any spare connectors behind where the camera would sit.
That's a good idea! Car is due a clean tomorrow, so I'll have a look. Would be great if if was!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
worth to check but case of my friends 2016 super shown that it is probably unlikely- he didnt have loom from D020C connector to K151 camera (refer to schematics i pasted earlier). but he had all on other side of d020c (to radio and to bcm)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
worth to check but case of my friends 2016 super shown that it is probably unlikely- he didnt have loom from D020C connector to K151 camera (refer to schematics i pasted earlier). but he had all on other side of d020c (to radio and to bcm)
Yeah, no cabling on mine in the boot. Just had it all a part

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have successfully managed to install the original camera in my Giulia, which didn't have it from the factory.

The internet community have always helped me with all my cars (Stilo, 159, Brera) and retrofit projects.
Thanks to the Giulia community, I have successfully retrofitted the shift paddles, adaptive cruise control and Auto High Beam.
This camera project is not a big deal, but I hope, I can give back some to the community.

I have started to look for any kind of cables in my car and found that the instrument panel wiring contains the camera cables, but these end in a connector (D020c) just under the A pillar on the right hand side of the vehicle. No other camera wiring is present in the boot lid or anywhere else.
This might be different for your car.
My car is built on 31.08.2017 Super Lusso 2.2 JTDm Middle Europe / Italy market. It is close to full spec, so this can also have an effect on the available wiring.

I would suggest to find the connector first and only continue if you have the D020c connector.

D020c connector (vehicle side under A pillar on the right side):

Parts needed:
  • camera (50538365, lot cheaper from Ebay or breakers)
  • housing (rectangular black plastic with the boot opening buttons) (50562758 (two button) or 50562757 (one button), this part number contains the camera too, Info from @epsonix )
  • White, round 6 pin connector for the camera with at least 5cms cable (can be bought from breakers or order Stelvio boot lid loom from dealer and cut the connector (50551823 or 50558658) Info from @epsonix )
  • Molex connector, counterpart of the D020c connector in the vehicle (988251061)
  • Pins into the connector (211CL3S1160 2pcs and 211CL2S1160 or 211CL2S2160 4pcs)
  • AV cable, 5 leads, shielded, 5meters (I have used Tasker TSK1073)
  • Fabric tape (TESA-51608-19)

I was able to buy the whole assembly (camera with connector and housing) for roughly 200 EUR on Ebay. Including shipping and tax from the US.
Roughly same price from dealer.

The boot opening buttons are possible to be removed, so if you cannot get the proper one (1 or 2 buttons for keyless entry), don't worry, you can use your original one.
The Molex connector and pins are available at Farnell. Less than 15 EUR with shipping
The Tasker cable and fabric tape should be available at your local stores or webshops. Roughly 25 EUR

You can use the schematics that @epsonix posted earlier (Cheers for that).
You need to create the loom between D020c (molex connector) and K151 (camera with the white, round connector)
The Tasker cable has 3 shielded leads, I have used these for the L, B and V wires from the diagram.
SCH will be shield from the Tasker cable.
R and N can be left unshielded.
The whole loom will need to be roughly 4.5 meters.
For extra shielding, I went with the paranoid way and covered the whole loom with tin foil, than covered it with the fabric tape for extra protection.
This way, it is just the right thickness to still fit in the boot lid hinge.

Once the loom is ready, you will need to remove some parts from the interior.

Beware, at the boot lid handles, the clips are different.
Be careful when removing the lock protection plastic part.

If you broke it, like I did, here is the part number: 53318298 (8 EUR)
Plastic clips tend to not come out undamaged (Christmas tree style): 670070985

Run the loom along the vehicle.
There is an opening at the battery area behind the rear seat, but you should just follow the other looms running from the boot lid to the front of the vehicle.
You don't need to remove the B pillar lower trim, you can just pull the mat from under it, run the loom along the main loom and tuck the mat back under the trim.
The other sections are straightforward.

Be very very careful with screws holding the camera + boot opening buttons assembly, as it is a weak hex screw, very easy to damage the head.
If you damage it, you will have to drill it out, like I had to :) Part number: 50548136

Put everything back together.

Turn the function on with MES and do proxy.
I suggest using a full battery or a battery charger while doing proxy, modules tend to fail proxy at lower voltages.

You can adjust brightness with MES connecting to AlfaConnect.
Default value is 50%, I found that 60% is better for my black car.

It is definitely not one of the best cameras on the market, resolution is pretty poor and it gets dirty very easily.
Unfortunately, I am a stickler for original solutions, that's why I decided to go with this.

I hope I could help.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Great post, a few comments from me:

housing (rectangular black plastic surrounding the boot opening buttons) (50554696, I am not sure, maybe this part number contains the camera too)
Yes, it contains camera too

I was able to buy the whole assembly (camera with connector and housing) for roughly 200 EUR on Ebay. Including shipping and tax from the US
You might be able to find it cheaper, if you are lucky.
In Poland, from dealer I paid EUR150 for camera with button/housing with some discount. I haven't been able to find compatible connector, nor was able to find even the same pitch raw header (idea of sealing with things like neutral silicone), but instead I went for buying boot lid loom from Stelvio: part numbers
price around EUR60, you cut out only connector - yes expensive, but done correctly with such.

• Molex connector, counterpart of the connector in the vehicle (988251061)
  • Pins into the connector (211CL3S1160 2pcs and 211CL2S1160 4pcs)
great info, as far way was soldering into loom. BTW, Farnell does not stocks currently thinner connector, but RS-ONLINE has all parts

If you broke it, like I did, here is the part number: 53318298 (8 EUR)
Yes, first time I did job I broke it, had to swap with my own for customer buy already have new one fitted in my Giulia.

You can adjust brightness with MES connecting to AlfaConnect.
Default value is 50%, I found that 60% is better for my black car.
As far as I tried with some old MES (4.3 probably) it was volatile - defaulted after full power down (radio restart - you know when you see logo and traffic rules obbey hints)

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is way cheaper from dealer, at least in Poland
Is it? In Hungary, just the camera (50538365) without the housing is like 200 EUR.
Maybe my sources are not the best :D

Yes, first time I did job I broke it, had to swap with my own for customer buy already have new one fitted in my Giulia.
So it's not just me, that's a relief.

As far as I tried with some old MES (4.3 probably) it was volatile - defaulted after full power down (radio restart - you know when you see logo and traffic rules obbey hints)
I did it with 4.6 and seem to have worked fine. I feel that with this setting it is more crisp at daylight. In poor light conditions it is bad either way :D

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I edited my post a bit, read again please - there is loom from stelvio to get connector from if you want new. FCA does not sell such as spare connectors with pins (anyway usually single connectors from FCA are like 80EUR so not worth)

Maybe camera on its own is not much cheaper than whole set?

Need to try brightness in 4.7R1 I have currently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
great info, as far way was soldering into loom. BTW, Farnell does not stocks currently thinner connector, but RS-ONLINE has all parts
That is correct, I also had to use 211CL2S2160, which is a bit thicker, but still fits in the connector. RS will only sell you at least 100 pcs, that's why I went with Farnell and the thicker pins.

I went for buying boot lid loom from Stelvio: part numbers
5055182350558658 price around EUR60, you cut out only connector - yes expensive, but done correctly with such.
This is a really great info for anyone who wants to do it.
I found that finding this bloody connector was the hard part. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts