Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

absoluting loving my 166 having had it for a month now, a few little bits i need to sort but by far the best car i have driven - one thing though

when i select reverse it beeps incesantly for about 10 seconds to tell me i'm in reverse, (this is the same sound that is heard if you try to open the door with it in D or R) does anyone know how to turn this sound off or at least down?

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
PF
I found it very annoying at first...Just like the indicators not cancancelling you just get used to it....If mine stopped working now I for 1 would miss it.
Perhaps if you persevere like me you'll grow to like it.
Sorry do not know where it is
Pomeo

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Hi

absoluting loving my 166 having had it for a month now, a few little bits i need to sort but by far the best car i have driven - one thing though

when i select reverse it beeps incesantly for about 10 seconds to tell me i'm in reverse, (this is the same sound that is heard if you try to open the door with it in D or R) does anyone know how to turn this sound off or at least down?

Silly me PF you are not supposed to get out the car with it in D or R (hence warning)or when you turn around your car has gone.(Computer reckons if you are openning the door you are getting out.)

Puzzled me years ago in America with the signs in the car park "It is illegal to reverse into this space".(I always reverse in drive out ...Force of habit)..Then sussed the reason "Friendly fire" The first thing you get when you move the lever is reverse and those drivers who do it and crash the car parked behing them. Always a reason may not be obvious though.

Yesterday i got out my sons corsa...A beeping noise...not automatic,engine off lights off everything off...Led me a merry dance then sussed what it was...the indicator stalk was not in the off position....Big Brother's coming if not already arrived (Tracking by sat nav) .AAARGH!!!!

Pomeo.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Haven't got a 166( lovely cars) is the beeper volume not adjustable on the menu? presumably not, which must be annoying for you guys.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Haven't got a 166( lovely cars) is the beeper volume not adjustable on the menu? presumably not, which must be annoying for you guys.
No Zulu...I just take my hearing aids out...It has the same effect,

Pomeo

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Pomeo, driving such a superb machine, my hearing is so poor I probably wouldn't notice, as I would be taken up with distraction's in its posh interior! Is the 166 still in production?

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Pomeo, driving such a superb machine, my hearing is so poor I probably wouldn't notice, as I would be taken up with distraction's in its posh interior! Is the 166 still in production?
How true zulu

Its braw inside.

Its still in production LHD.there is info on another post about it.

Its RHD in the UK. sold from 1999 to 2003 then 2004-2005 in the facelift version with the big V.

Because it never sold well,god knows why,only about 3,000 in UK.It never came in the diesel form.|:cry:
Apperently it would cost to much to convert to RHD so they never did it.

I would love to try a diesel one but they are LHD.I think the aussies are RHD too.

Pomeo.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
What I was considering you see, as the wife and I hope to move house in the not too distant future, a bit of luxury would go down well. Parking area at the moment, wouldn't accomodate anything quite as big, well not comfortably anyway. The Diesel option woud also appeal to me, for obvious reasons of economy.Have to wait and see what appears when they re-introduce. No rush, take my time nowadays in all matters.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
A wise decision Zulu.

My 2.5 alfa was bought by the previous keeper for £5,600 the year before I bought it £2,500.

Now that's depreciation you can wait for as long as you are NOT the owner.

I guess following that rule its worth £500. A new air meter is £150.

But to me its not worth the £30,000 it was new ...It's priceless and they are not as good as Dougie166's.(That's a really braw car)

REMEMBER..If it's worth having it's worth waiting for.
Pomeo

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
the beeping doesnt really bother me anymore,my indicators cancel by themselves ok, are they not supposed to?
How true about the beeping.

Most seem not to cancel..You must have got the assembler who knew what he was doing...Or its been fixed since.

Pomeo

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Puzzled me years ago in America with the signs in the car park "It is illegal to reverse into this space

I believe the reason is due to front numberplate regs, so car parked in backwards would not be as easily checked by police.

I prefer your idea tho'

I was watching an old duffer parking his auto the other day. He had a blue disabled badge in the window, was parking in the parent & child zone (6-foot signs, not easy to mistake), and was having to look down to change gear. The biggest problem in addition to his obvious eyesight problem was that he was then applying accelerator without looking back up :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
I hated the beeping on reverse for months but it did actually save me one day when I was in a bit of a dream and was preparing to drive away when the sound finally pierced my thick skull and made me realise I was in reverse by mistake just a second before I put my foot down.

I wouldn't be without it now!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
howarda dont get me started on mother and baby parking spaces:rant: :rant: my local tescos put them closer to the store than the disabled spaces WTF!! you now have to wade through hundreds of trolleys that the ignorant T055ers cant be bothered to put back where they should be:rant: :rant: did have a good chuckle as one trolley rolled into the side of some womans car:lol: i can see the need for the spaces to be wider than normal but why do they need to be any closer to the store than other parking spaces. i dont park in disabled spaces but i quite happily park in mother and baby spaces, the only way of not having some ignorant ****** opening their door onto your car.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I was watching an old duffer parking his auto the other day...biggest problem in addition to his obvious eyesight problem was that he was then applying accelerator without looking back up :(
He's just an accident waiting to happen, isn't he? :rolleyes: I wonder how many drivers haven't had their eyes checked in 20 years. What with that and the people shaving, reading newspapers and doing their makeup whilst on the move, it's a nightmare. I'm sure some of these people have slower reaction times than those in the mortuary ;).

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
howarda dont get me started on mother and baby parking spaces:rant: :rant: my local tescos put them closer to the store than the disabled spaces WTF!! you now have to wade through hundreds of trolleys that the ignorant T055ers cant be bothered to put back where they should be:rant: :rant: did have a good chuckle as one trolley rolled into the side of some womans car:lol: i can see the need for the spaces to be wider than normal but why do they need to be any closer to the store than other parking spaces. i dont park in disabled spaces but i quite happily park in mother and baby spaces, the only way of not having some ignorant ****** opening their door onto your car.

I agree about the positioning - crip's need to be closer, but as a parent of an 11 month old, appreciate it whilst I can justify using the spaces - it is impossible to take a baby out of a car seat if you can't get the door open fully.

Of course, the spaces should all be wide enough to avoid door dents :rolleyes:

My biggest gripe is that 99% of crip's have mile-wide/long/high cars (LS400, jag XJs, Merc S, X5 etc). They can't be that disabled if they can climb into/out of an X5, so why do they get a space next to the shop

:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts