Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My sister's giulietta has turned up on my drive with a few issues.

Issue 1, engine management light on, stop start and DNA inactive. Found a broken wire on the gear position sensor, repaired that which has solved those problems. (I'll refer back to this shortly.)

Issue 2, as soon as you turn the ignition on both reverse lights come on. At the moment I'm thinking the issue is one of the following,

1, an issue with the reverse switch, only thing I've against this is on most other cars a failed switch lead to the lights not working, not being permenantly on.

2, the gear position sensor is in the wrong position and the car isn't realising it's not in reverse, reasons against this are the problem was there before I touched the gear position sensor (heat shield had original rivets still so no one else has been in there either), and secondly I don't think the position sensor affects the reverse lights otherwise there wouldn't be an extra reverse sensor.

3, the boot hinge wiring has been repaired on both sides badly whoever did it could of wired the reverse lights to an ignition live, this will be difficult to fix and I think even the worst garage would have checked the lights seemed to work properly.

Can anyone think of anything I may have missed or have some Alfa specific knowledge that may narrow it down?

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can now confirm it's not the reverse switch and with the connector to it unplugged and bridged the issue is still the same

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I will put money on hatch wiring being the cause,if I remember correctly from when I did mine all the black wires have numbers on so you can reference that car side to where hatch side wiring goes.
Have a search armoore has said previously what wire numbers do what

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found it that's great, it's in a sticky at the top of the giulietta section if anyone else needs to find it

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
I will put money on hatch wiring being the cause,if I remember correctly from when I did mine all the black wires have numbers on so you can reference that car side to where hatch side wiring goes.
Have a search armoore has said previously what wire numbers do what
Cabling is made by a company called Cabel Auto (not a spelling mistake) and the wires do have very small numbers on them but they're the same numbers for different wires! I have a few that I have kept to show people just how inflexible they are. On our Monsun aircraft nearly every wire is white, however clearly shown is a code comprised of letter(s) and numbers which correspond to just one wire, others have their own dedicated letter and number. It is really easy to trace through the loom.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Not very clear but these are the specs for the cables and the number needed. SenCom kit didn't come with an antenna cable and it isn't required for some cars.

All wires were 40 cm. long and I did start to record the colours and then thought that it really didn't matter as long as the cross-sectional area was correct and any colours would do. Corrugated tubing for the washer fluid from eBay should do it with aquarium connectors, in fact being careful with the original tubing would also do it.

C/s areas are mm squared. First is LHS and second RHS.

It was very easy to download these images with the new set up.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tackled this job today and this is what I found when stripping back the o/s boot hinge wiring,

my sister had paid to have the wiring fixed professionally when she had the car and this seems to have amounted to one wire barely soldered together and 2 twisted together and taped over and several others that are near breaking.

I ordered 10m of 20a rated silicone coated wire for the job due to it being designed to flex alot, I'd forgotten the heated rear window wiring was 30a so had to replace that bit with normal wire if I repeated the job I'd order a few metres of silicone coated 30a wire too.

I cut out and replaced all the wires one by one on both sides, if you disconnect all the plugs in the boot lid you can pull the wiring back through into the boot area giving plenty of access to work on it. As you disconnect them it's fairly easy to identify what is what even though there all black and the few i couldn't recognise straight away I tested with a power probe.

I used heat shrinked soldered joints and ended up with all the joints in the c pillar at one end and at the side of the boot where the heated screen connects inside the lid so nothing will be stressed by the opening and closing action.

and the good news is the reverse lights now work correctly so one less job to worry about.

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts