Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just noticed during these dark nights, that my reverse light is not working.
done the usual, changed bulb, still didnt work,
checked fuse that appears to be o.k.
it is a 55 plate GT JTD & wondered if any one else has had a similar problem.
searched the forum & came up with nothing.
any help & advice much appreciated:confused:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Probably the switch on the the gearbox (on the front in TS boxes, not sure about the JTD's) - either the wire has come off/is drity, or the switch is faulty...

Looking at ePer, it seems to go in the top of the casing somewhere. Part number is 46434553, I think.

·
Registered
735 Posts
switch most likely...

just a thought... maybe some loose connection in the wires leading to the bulb... may save you the trouble, perhaps...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help, wondered where the switch was, i assumed it would be on the gear stick.
at least now i know where to look now, that will be my next step once were rid of this horrid weather.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, it was definatly the switch, it was only a 1 hour job once i knew where to look, old one worked once cleaned but fitted a new one anyway as had it there ready to go. thank you all for the help:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
When the reverse light switch failed did the bulb light up on the dash board? I have both lights out on my 156 and the indicator on the dash comes on to say there's a bulb out. Just wanted to check this is expected if its the switch.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry for starting this up again, but did any other electrical circuits on the car fail when the reversing lights did?

·
Registered
135 Posts
When the reverse light switch failed did the bulb light up on the dash board? I have both lights out on my 156 and the indicator on the dash comes on to say there's a bulb out. Just wanted to check this is expected if its the switch.
No. Mine don't work on the 156 and my bulb failure light doesn't light up.

Is it a license plate rear bulb causing the warning light to come on?

·
Registered
52 Posts
My reversing lights failure was caused by the wires breaking and causing shorts with the fog lights. Previous owner had removed ns fog light bulb as the short caused the ns reversing light to come on with the fogs, even though the fuse for the reversing lights had blown.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No, the only sign was that the light on the ASR Off button didn't illuminate when you pressed the switch. Warning lights came up on dash and went out at ignition.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Solution----in my case---The reversing light on my '09 159 auto TI sedan failed.

There were no volts at the connector to the light cluster.
I guessed that the switch was ok, because when the car was in reverse, the mirrors still dipped and the reversing sensors still came on. So, I checked the boot connector (D040) for voltage.

This is located inside the LHS of the boot under the LHS of the parcel shelf. I only needed to unclip a small portion of the lining under the LHS of the shelf.
The ~10 connection connector is clipped Horizontally. There were volts on the grey/red light duty cable, which supplys the reversing cluster.
Upon checking continuity of the grey/red light duty cable through to the cluster, it was open circuit.

So , I pulled on the grey/red cable and it came out of the loom...it had completely snapped. I used the length of the cable to measure back up the loom to the car side of the flexible/waterproof coupling. Open the loom---horrible sticky felt -- to discover 6 cables with bear wire!.
The insulation had gone hard and the cable was now the flex point! fatiguing with each boot opening....

When I lined up the reversing wire it was about 15 mm too sort.. therefore it was taking the loom strain and was the first to go..

ok, now the best repair is to replace the hardened wires,,, or replace the loom, or....... as I did.... insert 50mm or wire into the reversing wire break. tape up all of the bear wires.
Which holds them straight.
Check out the actual lie of the loom and heavily tape it all so there was no longer a kink. It'll break again--- but its going to be a fair while.
:party:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all

I had similar problems with reverse lights on my 156 2.0 JTS 2005.
When fiddling with it - I suddenly had failing fog light and lock-solenoid (='boot open' warning) :-/

I pulled out the whole harness - wasnt too hard (but had to cut wirestraps).

It turned out that several wires was broken due to fatigue (at the 90deg bend inside rubber-hose):

So, I decide to create a whole new boot lid harness.
First I created a view of connections and translation to my wires (I used std soft 220VAC-wiring - only 5 colours):

Note that JTS seems to have slightly different wiring (colours) than I can see in (french) 156 wiring diagram for TS.

Then cut old wires 5-10cm from connectors to have good space for soldering.
I made new wires a bit longer, marked them and pulled them through rubber-hose - use the old wiring to pull the new ones through !
I placed heat shrink isolation and then soldered my own wires to the connectors acc to diagram:

Now everything works as it should - strong lights - and no 'boot open' warning - ahhh :)

Cheers

(edit: sorry pics didnt load at first...)
(edit 2: arggh - I realised the diagram was drawn wrong re rear fog light right side - corrected this in v2 !)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts