Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove an '05 147 JTDm today. Needs a lot of TLC (service,wishbones, alloys kerbed, new tyres,flaking paint). Basically not been cared for but I can sort the faults if the price is right.

What has got me wondering was the test drive. Strong pull to the left had me wondering whether the 147's are prone to following the road camber or if the tyres/wishbones could be causing it??

More importantly - 3rd gear, 4000rpm - car just stopped pulling like I'd hit a rev limiter - symptoms were exactly the same as when I hit the limiter on my Ducati, power cutting on and off very quickly.

Is there a limiter on the 147? Didn't do it again but I didn't push it - not my car! Owner had no idea what it was.
It was very wet and lots of leaves so could it have been the traction control?

The car has just come out of Alfa Workshop having snaped the timing belt so must be in fine fettle??

I know I shold walk away but I'm quite taken with it, warts and all :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
They should rev a fair bit higher. About 5K from memory. Try the car in neutral, warm engine, and give it the beans. If it is still 4K, there is a problem. It could be management, incorrect timing or inaccurate rev counter.

They should not pull left. It could be suspension wear (lower wishbone buses or balljoint- uppers don't make a difference, they only know and squeak), or if the front tyres are worn unevenly, this will then influence the castering action. It could simply be the tracking is out and this has caused tyre wear- assuming the kerbing was not heavy enough to have bent something. Tracking does not cause the steering to pull. Only camber, caster or tyre wear will do that. With the 1.9 JTDm, I'd set it 2mm toe-in. This goes against most people's opinion on here, but I've done this for years, and it always worked a treat.

If the front tyres are not directional, you could swap them side to side, and this shuld help stop the steering pulling.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

Thinking about it, when the car shuddered and lost power a flashing yellow warning lamp came up on the dash to the right side of the binnacle. It was gone before I could see what the symbol was. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The engine management system malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) probably. That would explain things.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
I think you have a possibilty of 2 things for that light with the symptoms you described.... 1: EGR stuck open, 2: Faulty MAF. Both will do exactly what you descibe and to see which you'll need to hook it up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks for the reply

Thinking about it, when the car shuddered and lost power a flashing yellow warning lamp came up on the dash to the right side of the binnacle. It was gone before I could see what the symbol was. Any ideas?

Was it not just the ASR (Anti Slip Regulation) comming on - yellow symbol to the right of the dash??? Always happens on mine when you hit puddles or slippery surfaces, while your accelerating.

I only say this as you said earlier when drove it "It was very wet and lots of leaves "

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, always difficult to identify faults when they're described rather than experienced

I'll be making an offer taking account of the potential issues and known faults. It can only be refused :)

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts