Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all hi all :D

and now to my prob i have just got myself a 1997 155 2.0 16v and the rev counter has stopped working then it periodicly jumps back to life then it dies again just as quick anyone got any ideas what the prob could be
other than that the car is fantastic :cool:

many thanks

Brian

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi Broken brain, :) Welcome to the forum......... Unfortunatly i can't help you with the rev counter Sounds like an electrical breakup some where but i'm guessing???? Just wanted to welcome you (sad isn't it) :rolleyes:

btw. Tell us about you new ownership with you 155.. where... when.. how much!!! :) :) Cause i'm a nosey barstuard!!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
564 Posts
broken_brian, try removing the clocks by undoing the 2 allen bolts at the bottom and pulling towards you and nipping up the brass nuts on the PCB by about a 1/4 of a turn. :D :D
Oh and welcome to the forum :D :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hiya!

same problem as I had! let me guess! rev counter dies, give the binnacle a good tap and it comes back to life, mine was worse, fuel gage and temp gage was all over the place ! just sorted it the other day, what I did was replace the whole binnacle, cause I wanted to keep the true mileage what I did was undid the old one and swapped the mileage unit! fairly strait forward just unscrew all the nuts and bolts behind the binnacle but just make sure u remember were everything went!

all you need is a binnacle! does anyone have a spear binnacle for this gentleman?

btw its commen on the late widebodys

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Andy155 said:
btw its commen on the late widebodys
not just the widebodys

my 33 used to do the same :)
quite often found myself traveling somewhere between 20 and 60 mph :D

san

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Andy155 said:
that fault is found more on pugeouts
Isn't that "used to be found" then caught fire :D :D

san

BTW have you got your car back yet?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no its just abit of garden funiture at the mo!
she now has her own bit of italian motering! :D
and its not the 155 ;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mxer125 said:
Hi Broken brain, :) Welcome to the forum......... Unfortunatly i can't help you with the rev counter Sounds like an electrical breakup some where but i'm guessing???? Just wanted to welcome you (sad isn't it) :rolleyes:

btw. Tell us about you new ownership with you 155.. where... when.. how much!!! :) :) Cause i'm a nosey barstuard!!!! :rolleyes:

i have had it since monday afternoon got it in a garage near knockhill and it was just under a grand and a half :cool:

and i am well impressed with it it goes a wee bit faster than my last car ;)

will try some of the fixes when i get a day off again

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the same problem on mine.

As Daiblack says, try tightening the nuts on the back of the gauge first.

Remove the two cap head screws you can see and pull the clocks toward you (to the rear of the car) about an inch then lift. They locate on the two screws at the front, and two pins at the rear.

I don't remember the size (5.5 or 7mm), but just tighten the nuts slightly and you should have fixed the problem.

A temporary fix for me was to hit the shroud near the oil pressure gauge. Used to work for about 20 miles.

Rob.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thing you can do if the above doesn't work is to just make sure the wire sockets are tight. I had the problem on mine last week, just removed the socket for the rpm meter and fitted it back on, making sure it was tight. Put everything back and it worked fine till today.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
took the binnacle off the car tightened up the bolts and the rev counter is now back to working all the time woo hoo
:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts