Alfa Romeo Forum banner

What to do?

• Send it back, wait, phone, wait, phone, wait, phone...

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Fix it and then fit it.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Send it to Marlon to be "fixed".

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flog it on Ebay as it is!

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought something for my motor, a little treat rather than something necessary. Sadly part of it doesn't work, but is easily fixable, so I rang the supplier who said he would send a new part upon return of the broken one. I was going to do this until I discovered it would cost £4 to send and then I'd have to wait for the replacement and doubtless have to make several phone calls to expedite its return this side of Christmas!

What should I do?

(Please note the two deliberate tongue in cheek options)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You are covered under, I believe, the Sale of Goods Act. This states that goods supplied should be of merchantable quality and fit for the purpose for which they were intended. Clearly that is not the case in your example therefore, you have the right to demand and receive a full refund under the terms of the act. You should return the goods (postage to be paid by recipient) with a letter requesting reimbursement. You should state that you require payment within (say) fourteen days and that will be an end to the matter. If there is any argument then again write repeating your request stating that if the refund is not forthcoming you will report the vendor to the local Trading Standards Officer and also The Office of Fair Trading. If you paid by credit card in the first place then you should contact your card issuer requesting a chargeback. In no circumstances discuss the matter by telephone with letters/e mails there is always an auditable point of reference for reporting purposes. Good luck.

Phil

·
Registered
734 Posts
Whilst everything Phil says it correct...

in the first instance I would probably try and be a little less heavy handed. If the guy has already said he'll replace it then send the other back, enclose a letter asking for a refund of postage. Make a note of dates/time etc and then if you have to make more than 2 'phone calls ( thats my personal tolerance level, yours may differ) Then write stroppy letters.

JaB

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
You'll get double it's value from E-Bay :D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Depends what it is - if it's a gear knob with LED's in - the gear knob works but the LED's don't - then you deserve to be ridiculed and laughed into hell.

I can't think of any other car accessories that have 2 functions...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to set the record straight, I am not in disagreement with the vendor and am happy to send it back but just feel that given the ease of fixing it it doesn't seem worth the hassle and expense. If it doesn't work after "fixing" it then I can send it back and play innocent...

BTW It's not a flashing knob of any description.

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
Nigel S said:
I recently bought something for my motor, a little treat rather than something necessary.What should I do?
What is this 'something'... you have me curious if no one else. It may have an influence on any advice given here. ie if its a loose wire on the faulty part of the some of parts then yeah fix it yourself and enjoy... get what I mean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts