Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I’ve just re-registered on the forum as I can’t unlock my old username as the emails go to an old job account.

Looking to sell my current Audi S1 Sportback and get either a 156 GTA or GT 3.2 V6 (I had a GT 3.2 around 12 years ago and a 159 Ti a few years later).

I’m leaning towards the 156 GTA due to the interior- I love it so much I have a 3 piece suite of GTA seats in the front room!

Question is which one - what do you think and why? Just looking for inspiration from owners.

·
Registered
758 Posts
In purely practical terms, the GT. They are cheaper. Body parts are common across all the GT models, whereas many parts are no longer available for the GTAs. Engine and gearbox are the same as the GTAs. I’ve had the 3.2 GT and a 156 GTA and my heart would rule my head and I would go for the 156 GTA if I had to choose between the two now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In purely practical terms, the GT. They are cheaper. Body parts are common across all the GT models, whereas many parts are no longer available for the GTAs. Engine and gearbox are the same as the GTAs. I’ve had the 3.2 GT and a 156 GTA and my heart would rule my head and I would go for the 156 GTA if I had to choose between the two now.
Fair point about GT parts. Was there much difference in the way they drove? I quite like sunroofs, so like you if the right GTA came along and it had a sunroof, I’d be swayed. Although I’m in no rush to buy.

One potential downer on the GTA is rust hidden under the skirts - not sure how easy it’d be to check?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Fair point about GT parts. Was there much difference in the way they drove? I quite like sunroofs, so like you if the right GTA came along and it had a sunroof, I’d be swayed. Although I’m in no rush to buy.

One potential downer on the GTA is rust hidden under the skirts - not sure how easy it’d be to check?
Couldn’t compare the drive directly as the 156 has some mods but the GT was stock. Both put a smile on my face though. Rust can be just as deadly under the GT box sills if some numpty has crushed them.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Not sure if this is still for sale in the classifieds and it is a bit marmite, but I remember the work getting done on this particular GT. Seems a good price for something a bit different?

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
Choices... Choices... :D

As above, the GTs have fewer issues with parts and they're often less expensive to purchase. The 156 and GT share common suspension components bar a couple and the vast majority of mods are interchangeable. I like the GT and 156, the 156 arguably has the nicer interior but the GT is a coupe and a bit more practical with that big rear boot. You would be best off having a quick read of Chris155s buyer's guide about the potential pit-falls, nowadays it's all about condition.

As for which one to pick..? The engines are fantastic whichever car they're in, so if you wanted to 'just' experience the engine then a GT could the be the easier one to manage, but I do prefer the shape of the 156 so I bought one of those (y).

·
Registered
915 Posts
Depends what you want. Do you need 4 doors? Is a large boot handy? GT's are more common so you may use it more, while having a GTA with it's rarity and higher cost may end up in the garage staying safe and sound for much of the time. Which is fine of course. GTA is more 'sporty' while the GT I feel is more of, well a GT car for pleasurable drives.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
i just had a full respray on mine when sisdeskirts removed zero nasties on the sills.. can get a cheap camera now which plugs into a laptop and makes looking under the sills possible but rear floorpans are common so wouldnt buy unless i could get it on a ramp... unless its very cheap .. 156 GTA will hold its value and prices where on the rise

·
Registered
565 Posts
I like the GT 3.2 ... but a 156 GTA Sportwagon is somewhat more attractive to me. Or a 147 GTA. Yes, both are more money but I'd wager (as others have also said) that the GTAs will appreciate more over time. That said, anything Busso is likely to retain/improve value-wise. The myth and magic do follow.

·
Registered
373 Posts
its already been said, but the GT and GTA are very similar under the bodywork.

The upside of the GT is that most of the parts are easy and cheap to get, as its broadly the same as the thousands of other variants they made. But thats also the downside, you have something that looks the same as all the others.

So the GTA variants are always going to look more special and i suspect the badging and unique bodywork will keep them priced above the GTs indefinitely.

I think you could summaries it to…

Does your budget include a sorted GTA?
Are you worried about parts and future values?
Do you prefer Coupe or Saloon body styles?

If you are on a budget, you'd be better off looking at the GT, cheaper to buy, which will give you some change for the inevitable age related problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts