Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the absence of later version of brake compensators, I'm considering retro fitting an early spring load brake compensator. I need information with regards to the spring and where it attaches to. I've looked at the GTV manual and the diagram shows the spring going straight into the subframe, is this right? The only springs available that I've found are those for the Fiat coupe, are these any good?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if a brake refurbishment company could refurbish them maybe the springs in the mechanism are weak or the seals need replacing. I have these photos from another post.
I took the one above off around three years ago, and threw it away! Got the car through two MOTs without it, but last week it failed on missing brake load sensing valve, hence need to find a replacement. Given that they are so hard to find even a bad used one, the easier option would be to retro fit the earlier type with the spring.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first version of the brake corrector. This hole was not later.
Thanks for uploading these photos. I can see the hole where the spring passes through the subframe - just my luck that hole is missing on my subframe. I wonder if it can pass underneath that subframe section and attached to a shorter modified arm on the ARB? Obviously I realize that a shorter arm on the ARB will pull the arm on the compensator less and maybe not cut off much flow through the compensator, making it almost ineffective. I don't have a problem with this because I been running without a compensator for over two years without any issues, the ABS does the work. It's just to get it through the MOT.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
We had a later subframe fitted to my Son’s early P1 Spider, my local Indi simply drilled a hole to fit the original load balancer 😉

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Given that an MoT tester can’t start taking things apart to investigate it, could you put some sort of undertray or guard over where it should be and leave it as it is?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Given that an MoT tester can’t start taking things apart to investigate it, could you put some sort of undertray or guard over where it should be and leave it as it is?
Good idea, but it might be difficult because the exhaust back box hanger is right next to it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You could try telling them that you removed the compensator valve 'cause you swapped the ABS unit to the later type that handles the brake force distribution internally. :angel:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You could try telling them that you removed the compensator valve 'cause you swapped the ABS unit to the later type that handles the brake force distribution internally. :angel:
I'm seriously considering doing that, got a few other jobs to do for the MOT, once those are done, I'll take it to a different garage, explain that it has an upgraded ABS unit and try getting it through without the compensator.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've managed to source a second hand ph2 compensator, problem solved. Before fitting it, I gave it a good flush through with fluid using male unions, a short flared brake line, silicone tube and a 60ml siringe. Can't believe the fine black gritty stuff that came out of the one channel, no wonder they blocked up!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussed this very subject with a pal who is an MOT inspector, he suggested just take the gubbins out of it (is that possible?) then let ABS deal with any issues though from what I've read rear brakes are so poor it's unlikely to kick in anyway.

Another MOT brake test tip is drop front pressures to say 20psi inflate rears to 50psi the submit for testing, has the effect of encouraging lock up at front and discouraging same at rear giving a better f-r balance it seems, don't understand that fully myself tbh

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Discussed this very subject with a pal who is an MOT inspector, he suggested just take the gubbins out of it (is that possible?) then let ABS deal with any issues though from what I've read rear brakes are so poor it's unlikely to kick in anyway.
If it were possible to remove the internal valves and seal it up so that it would not leak, I would definitely do it.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I've taken one apart it was tricky to get the circlips out though. You could weld up the holes or tap them and put bolts and brass washers in. Easier just to make new brake lines and do away with it altogether. Never had a problem at the mot.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Easier just to make new brake lines and do away with it altogether. Never had a problem at the mot.
Unfortunately, I now have a missing compensator on the car's MOT history, so it needs to be in place. I've just managed to get it through the MOT, so I'm OK for a bit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts