Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have done a few searches on this forum but drawn a bit of a blank.

Has anyone retrofitted the bose speakers into their 147. I am considering fitting the x4 speakers, x2 tweeters and subwoofer assy. Just wondered if it was worth the money and effort.
I currently have the stock head unit that came with my car. Did the Bose factory equipped models have a different headunit?

Kind Regard

Dom

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Common discussion. :p

It's worth it if you have the full setup including the BOSE wiring loom and of course the BOSE amp, and if you will be happy with BOSE quality. It's definitely a step up from the standard system, and looks 'factory' (well integrated).

Not worth it if you don't have the full lot, or if you're wanting higher quality.

Same headunit, which is triggered into 'BOSE mode' via a trigger wire that you can hook up. Note, you can't properly run the BOSE speakers (let alone sub) directly off the headunit, and only via the amp.

This thread may be helpful: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-and-blue-and-me/216291-full-bose-retro-fit-guide.html

:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
I have seen a full system for sale all speakers, sub amps and wiring loom etc. I am not after audiophile quality but I think the standard system can be improved a fair bit, hoping BOSE will provide turn out a decent improvement,

Thanks for the reply and the link.

Cheers

Dom

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
the Alfa head unit and Bose set up is one of the worst I have had the misfortune to come across, shrill, boomy, lacking in midrange weight, stereo imagry and just about everything else. Ok if all you want to listen to is techno, but anything else forget it.

I would like a diesel GT at some point, but the radio is so bad, I find myself still holding on to my 166, which is superb. It is that mush of a deal breaker.

Spend you pennies elsewhere IMO.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Well I have the Bose system in my 147 and think it's quality :thumbs:

I've never been one to fit loads of aftermarket audio gear into a car so it works well for me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have to have a look for the required connector located in the boot, hoping my car has it I would imagine all the main looms were generic to save time and money during production.

Cheers

Dom

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have 2 GTs. One with BOSE, one without. I'm keeping the one WITHOUT bose. Is there any point me going nuts to remove the bose from the outgoing car and putting it the one I'm keeping, or not?
Is it a case of plug and play, after removing all speakers and amp? It doesn't look like it to me...
I have no difficulty upgrading the head unit and speakers in the car I'm keeping.

So, in summary, sell the car with bose in it as it is, and upgrade the HU and speakers in the car I'm keeping. Let the bose stuff go?

Yes?

·
7,713 Posts
It's a big job, but will only cost you time: door trims, rear seat to remove rear side trims, left door sill and the BOSE wiring loom. And of course the speakers, amp, sub. You'll probably want to also change the inside door handle trims so that the BOSE emblem over the dummy tweeter grills is in the car with BOSE.

I wouldn't bother and prefer to achieve better results with aftermarket gear. But that will cost you money.

Perhaps read the guide for retrofitting BOSE into a 147. It should be much the same with the GT.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-and-blue-and-me/216291-full-bose-retro-fit-guide.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
As a recent 147 purchaser I am (once I've fixed a suspected broken turbo) looking at this whole BOSE factory fit upgrade option. I missed the whole lot (speakers, sub, amp AND wiring) for £85 on eBay the other day but hesitated when I read threads like this which call into question the quality of the BOSE setup. Not being an expert myself, I would assume the BOSE stuff to be pretty good but is there any online comparison of upgrade speakers which will do a better job than the BOSE ones?

·
7,713 Posts
For GBP$85 you wouldn't get a better setup, so it depends how much you're prepared to pay.

The beauty of the BOSE system is that it is fully integrated into the car, so provides a factory fit and finish. Whilst this can be achieved with aftermarket gear, you'll pay a lot to have it fully integrated (eg: custom part-fibreglass subwoofer box built 'into' the side of the boot...might cost GBP$300 just for the sub box construction). But if you're happy with a 'box' sitting in the middle of the boot for an aftermarket sub, then it's a moot point; an aftermarket 10" sub (with suitable amplifier) will easily outperform the BOSE sub, for example.

The disadvantage is that the BOSE system is modest gear at best, compared with aftermarket stuff.

For 95% of people, BOSE is very good. This is the typical owner who would never contemplate upgrading to aftermarket products in the first place. For the other 5%, aftermarket gear is the 'only' way to go.

If you're a 'normal' person (ie: in the 95% group), BOSE will be fine.

Regarding speakers, a set of Hertz DSK165 entry level models should sound better than BOSE.

It's a complex topic to answer for the individual. GBP$85 plus your own time to fit is a no-brainer. But, if you were buying a brand new car and had the BOSE option on offer for GBP$600 (or whatever it might cost), you might think twice.

A basic aftermarket system for GBP$600 would outperform the BOSE setup, but just not be neatly integrated.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The BOSE setup isn't that bad. For its age and its day it is decent kit - sure you can spend more and get better it depends what you want to achieve from the setup really.

If you want your car to remain factory you've got the basic factory unit or BOSE - BOSE is without question the better of the two options.

Certainly if you increased your budget a little you'd get plenty of good aftermarket kit that will blow BOSE away but that's technology that's nearly 15 years newer and won't have the factory feel, although you can get facia plates and steering wheel adapters etc etc.

I've had BOSE twice now, once in my 156 GTA and I fitted it to my 156 Sport - which is a lot more of a job than a 147, but it worked nicely, improved the sound over the factory setup and looked like it hadn't been messed with. That was what I wanted and was happy with.

Horses for courses.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I think shiny-car hits the nail on the head with his extremely fair, unbiased analysis :thumbs:

Today I took all the Bose bits out of a wrecked 147 3dr, including the wiring loom, the sub and amp, speakers, front door handle surrounds, and even the extra pin required for one of my car's plugs, plus the yellow mini-ISO section with its extra wire.

I scored all these parts for free and I'll be fitting them into my car as an improvement over the standard speakers. I'll never quite understand the 'downgrade' from separate component speakers to coaxial speakers, but suspect it may have something to do with standing waves/loud and quiet nodes formed by tweeters operating in the upper part of the doors. Certainly the tweeter wiring and clips etc. are all still there on Bose-equipped cars, so it doesn't seem like a decision made to cut costs.

My last car (Grande Punto) I set up with amplified front component speakers crossing over to an active under seat sub. The real result came when I used a real time analyser and sound level meter to set the Kenwood head unit's 11 band equaliser - such a well-rounded response was a fantastic experience that made it worth the hassle of solving amplifier noise problems and custom-fitting of speakers/sound deadening to get the best out of cheap components. The total cost was modest (about £300) considering the sound quality result - but there was a lot of time involved. Also, every medium-priced head unit has its flaws, which turned out to be a nuisance.

Can I be bothered to do it all again? Sometimes it is better to stick with the devil you know...

-Alex

1 - 12 of 12 Posts