Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a loevly day with masongta and after our discusions on all things life and love I would just like to share some in sights into the Retro revival which has not hit our country yet, but thats comming sooner and harder than most realise, in this crazy i-pod , bbm, facebook , interactive etc. etc. lifestyle we are in I truely believe that retro cars and culture(more the culture than the cars I believe) are what we all inherantly cry out for, something tangible, real, uncomplicated and of a better forgotten era, wheather u have a 10 year old 916(YES BELIEVE IT OR NOT THEY COSIDERED OLD NOW) to a 1965 GTstepnose they remind us of a time of tapedecks, mullets, fewer cops on the road , easy living and a generally more peaceful and more relaxed time, so I want to put something out there , if it never takes off so be it.
I believe that a massive retro car revival is on its way, so buy your OLD cars now they gonna be the new flavour in a couple of years from now, check the club scene, its not the new Mito, giulieta etc cars ariving witha woosh of turbo power but the old, smelling of webber carb and cheap vinyl giulias and berlinas, gt juniors etc that are getting the attention.

VIVA LA RETRO REVIVAL, we gonna rule the world!!!!!!!:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Hi frost. If I decide to keep the Junior which way do you think I must go. Paddleshift,Aircon and Powersteering. They did a vintage jaguar E-type with all the modern bells an whistles with uprated engine.
Any ideas.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Love what yu say, because I had a feeling that this will happen since a long time. People can't continue to drive the tasteless & complicated current cars for long. They have to wake-up at some stage.

Keeping my old ones NOT to sell them, but to show to other people how cars yu enjoy driving are..;)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There where berlinas with autoboxes, so an auto is very do-able , as is aircon, very easy mod(little bit expensive but do-able) the power steering could prove dificult, but if u dont go crazy on tyre size on a junior its not necessary, the key to retro is OEM+ looks , little bit dropped, cool period wheels(and dont judge it Ive seen crazy cool cars with stealy wheels) and a factor of usability, or just plain arogancy to its shear usability that makes it work!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pavlos I absolutely agree, the dedication these cars and the lifestyle demand does not land in ones lap , its a different type of dedication, much like guys with full body tatoes talk of their life long dedication to their art, I truely believe we are in a crossover point where these retro rides are more like a lifestyle choice, with dedicated hardcore followers who create a type of hype not easily repricated and only followed by a cult classic gang!!!

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Next in the Alfa Romeo lineup for classic retro will be 116 series Alfas (GT's, GTV's and Alfetta Sedans), and the Suds and Sprints. So I'll hang onto my 159i for a bit! Oh and I also have an "old" 916 :D

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Well we had this discussion a few times you and i, on the VW breakfast run one could see that the retro styled Euro look is in full swing i that club.

My thinking and issue is that retro sometimes is not executed properly and to do so youll need money. Another issue is that retro and Alfa can rarely be oulled off nicely as everyone rather restores an old Alfa then go full retro on small wide wheels for a 70's or 80's race look

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have had a loevly day with masongta and after our discusions on all things life and love I would just like to share some in sights into the Retro revival which has not hit our country yet, but thats comming sooner and harder than most realise, in this crazy i-pod , bbm, facebook , interactive etc. etc. lifestyle we are in I truely believe that retro cars and culture(more the culture than the cars I believe) are what we all inherantly cry out for, something tangible, real, uncomplicated and of a better forgotten era, wheather u have a 10 year old 916(YES BELIEVE IT OR NOT THEY COSIDERED OLD NOW) to a 1965 GTstepnose they remind us of a time of tapedecks, mullets, fewer cops on the road , easy living and a generally more peaceful and more relaxed time, so I want to put something out there , if it never takes off so be it.
I believe that a massive retro car revival is on its way, so buy your OLD cars now they gonna be the new flavour in a couple of years from now, check the club scene, its not the new Mito, giulieta etc cars ariving witha woosh of turbo power but the old, smelling of webber carb and cheap vinyl giulias and berlinas, gt juniors etc that are getting the attention.

VIVA LA RETRO REVIVAL, we gonna rule the world!!!!!!!:cool::cool::cool:
:thumbs:

·
Registered
878 Posts
I suggest getting them while you can, StepNose Alfas are selling for 10x the money they sell for in South Africa. By the time people here realize it, a good majority of your cars will be in other countries. Don't believe, look at the Peranas and Holden SS's... can you say EFI and turbo on a GTA tribute Stepnose???

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
Cat, dpf, egr, ecu, sensors, b&m, delete-removal anyone :). It's all about a reality-check. On a higher level, have you heard EUSSR is dissolving, perhaps?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Couldn't agree more:thumbs:

Can you believe it, having seen that 33 this morning and then seeing your cars this afternoon, my wife and I could chat the whole way back to PMB about cars. And take one guess what it was all about? Retro rides:thumbs:

Basically a modern take on a classic, my wife thinks the 2600 is such a cool car. It definately has her sold on the idea of the older cars. I think thats the beauty, its like a time machine.

I envy you chaps with the older models:thumbs:

I can't wait to get one:D

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Even though I'm a big fan of concourse and original cars, the idea of a mofernised classic sounds very apealing.
Think of a GT Junior with modern T.Spark engine, all the luxuries like power steering, aircon etc alng with slightly more modern looks.
For that matter even a GTV6.
Just have a look at what the guys do with Mustangs, Corvettes etc.

J

·
0 Posts
Frost, I also think Retro Cars are cool. But not overdone, OEM+ as you say, keeping it tasteful. Although I can't afford a proper new car at this stage in my life, I don't think I really want one anyway. For a start most moderns are fugly, they depreciate like crazy, are extremely costly to maintain once out of service plan and just too complicated for a hobby mechanic to work on.
I do not think the cars of today will become (popular) classics in 30 years time. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
196 Posts
We might be wrong, but I agree with you Jacgues L. My everyday ride is a Navara and good as it is I cannot see my sons restoring something so boring in 40 years. The new cars are really all so similar. In the case of the Navara I could quite easily have just as well have bought a Toyota, Amarok, Ford, Mazda etc.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Oh man cant wait to get started on my retro ride..... just need to find a junior :rant:
1750 Turbo, its going to be sweeett :thumbs: anywho, love the post frosts, retro will return!!

Well we had this discussion a few times you and i, on the VW breakfast run one could see that the retro styled Euro look is in full swing i that club.

My thinking and issue is that retro sometimes is not executed properly and to do so youll need money. Another issue is that retro and Alfa can rarely be oulled off nicely as everyone rather restores an old Alfa then go full retro on small wide wheels for a 70's or 80's race look
VW is the king of retro! they even brought out retro rides themselves just look at the good 'ol citi golf since 1976 they be changing the flavour :cheese:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts