Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Right now and in between Ao'ing I'm for a bit of cable pulling on the old 2000 bodygym. Tomorrow back over to the local hostelry for a couple of pints. Life get's tedious don't it?? :lol:

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Holy resurrection! A post from nearly 9 years ago. It would be interesting to see what did happen when some of the original posters did retire. I actually did in July of 2011, after three years of part-time - just to ease out and see if I could survive on the income. As many said, not enough time in the day usually. One advantage is of being able to do things when you feel like it instead of cramming them into spare moments.

steveisfrowning, from your statement are you going 'on the game' and how much do you think your body will fetch?

·
Super Moderator
44,892 Posts
I can't wait for retirement, which is haphazardly scheduled for February 2022.

I intend to sell my body.
Make sure you at least keep your hand. Otherwise you won't be able to do the writing you indicated earlier in the thread.

·
Super Moderator
44,892 Posts
As for myself, being a king sized nerd I could happily retire and fill my time messing about on computer games when there wasn't anything to actively do, if I could afford it.

We're not exactly planning for retirement. But we're already in our 'forever house', and working hard to pay off the mortgage as early as we possibly can. I'll be disappointed if we don't have it done by the time we're 50 I reckon*. (Wifey turned 42 today - don't panic!)

Once we have achieved that, we can think harder about what options we have.

*My daughter, currently 9, might have other plans for the money at around that time I suppose. Cars, University, that kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
77,034 Posts
Holy resurrection! A post from nearly 9 years ago. It would be interesting to see what did happen when some of the original posters did retire. I actually did in July of 2011, after three years of part-time - just to ease out and see if I could survive on the income. As many said, not enough time in the day usually. One advantage is of being able to do things when you feel like it instead of cramming them into spare moments.

steveisfrowning, from your statement are you going 'on the game' and how much do you think your body will fetch?
I would be disappointed if I couldn't swing a tenner a night.

·
Super Moderator
44,892 Posts
I would be disappointed if I couldn't swing a tenner a night.
Is that one of those special tricks to keep the punters entertained? Like the thing with the ping pong balls?

·
Registered
17,012 Posts
Recently, I actually had to ask someone to explain what the ping pong ball thing was. Jesus. Just when you think you’ve heard it all... :eek:

“Really? From there?”

·
Registered
17,012 Posts
How curious. I read this thread and now adverts for Invesco pop up. (But not for Neil Woodford...)

·
Super Moderator
44,892 Posts
Recently, I actually had to ask someone to explain what the ping pong ball thing was. Jesus. Just when you think you’ve heard it all... :eek:

“Really? From there?”
Crikey. That brings back a terrible memory of being a 20-something year old, and having to explain the term 'pearl necklace' to my 50 year old female colleague.

·
Registered
17,012 Posts
Sometimes life is just sooooo wrong, lol! :D:D:D

But funny!!! :D

·
Super Moderator
23,001 Posts
Hmm - I didn't reply to the original when I was a year away in 2011.

Went part time in 2012 when I was 60 - took my full pension but worked half the hours thereafter and took home more money (no NIC).

I intended to retire at 65 when the state pension kicked in but was made redundant after three years. My pay off was the amount I would have earned in the last last two years - result!

I LOVE retirement. I made no plans whatsoever (against all advice) as I just assumed it would be like being 16 years old on a permanent Sumer holiday but with more toys and money . IT IS. - I've said this more than once I know!

For sure I do some voluntary work for a few hours each week but I have no feelings of loss - my job, which I enjoyed was never my life or who I was.

My wife and I do heaps of stuff together - did all off the Thames crossings which we walked - bridges, tunnels, trains, ferries from Dartford to the source. Took us three years. we are currently going to see every Shakespeare play - we go to the Wannamaker , Globe and Barbican in London and have just got back from Stratford on Avon today after seeing King John.

We (wife and I ) do our own stuff too - it's great to have separate interests.

·
Registered
32,197 Posts
It’s almost a year now since I retired and it’s flown by. I still have things I mean to get to such as volunteering in addition to the cycling club coaching etc.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts