Alfa Romeo Forum banner
161 - 180 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Since my rear axle is in a horrible rusty state I decided to find a temporary replacement until I can restore my two rear axles (better ratio on the 1750 than my replacement 1600 axle) however the new one is complete with brakes and is fully functional.

the new axle got some new bushings and a T-bar installed, some rusty bits go back on just for now so that the rear axle can be installed for me to check the ride height and the clearance for the tires! And as you can se I’ll cut a few bits out before recreating the wheel well.
I also got the floor epoxied which felt good!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Thank you! ?
Soon time to put a few good friends to use as well and really grt crackin’ when it comes to putting parts back on. Usually the really fun bit but by now I just want to get it back together again! It’s been off the road for nearly 15 years now

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Then folded a new battery tray which was a b..ch because I don’t have a machine for. Everything is done by hand. Made some scaffolding for floor frames and then made two floor pans and welded.
The mats were well worn and faded so I will sew some black vinyl were there’s a whole and threw the mats into a kiddy pool with four packs of black dye. :D cheap skate way of making them dark grey instead of horribly faded light grey.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
cut out the door opening in the fibreglass and with the door wide open gave myself some room to play with the gtv916 rear seat. Took off the middle panel and cut the steel rods which I bent for better fitment.
made a few brackets to screw the seat base to and some brackets to hang the seat back from. Seat back is screwed at the bottom.
threw in some fine sound deadening material as well!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
built the rear floor pan. Hammered it out by hand, got the reinforcement for the seat belt done, primered the whole thing and sound proofed it.

started to build the rear valance and trying out a few shapes but something like this will probably be what it ends up looking like :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
then pulled the fan which only worked on one setting, fixed the broken springs by replacing with a cut spring from a pen ;)
Cleaned it all up and lubed it and rebuilt. Works great now on both speeds so really pleased with having repaired that!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
rebuilt the rear of the right sill. New jack point, new inner sill, new middle sill and soon the outer as well. Reinforced with a bar during cutting and welding.

it’s been repaired badly before and both sides will need complete replacement later on but not now.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Finished the bottom if the rhs b-pillar. It wasn’t as bad as it looked but it looked horrible so it needed some help.
Also the last panels at the left rear wheel well are finished.

the speedo and tacho were so filled with grime after 15yrs in a barn that I had to disasemble them to clean the insides and then put then back together again.
All the bulbs were swapped for led lights of slightly yellowish colour. Hopefully I’ll be able to see the gauges during night time :D

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
welded in the seat belt bracket. (Finally a thick bit of metal to crank up the Amps and just give’er with the welder) then tacked in the support for the seat base. And welded in a small screw to attach the rear seat back rest to.

then there was the matter of the hose for draining the area under the scuttle panel. I’d already made a connector for the hose but since the original had rusted away completely my version proved to foul just about every single effin hose and bracket and heater and the neighbours cat and just about anything nearby!!!! So I solved the problem by ignoring it for a week until I realized that I could take it from the donor spider front I have and sure enough! Cut the old one out, matched the donor part to shape, welded and sealed. Epic!

and with that I could sit back and just breathe for a while. Felt good to just savour the fact that the welding finally was done in the interior!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
So with those bits done I could finally fit the heater and hoses! Lovely!

then the dash almost popped into place by itself. Home sick!
with a little help from my phone pictures and the wire scheme I could refit the gauges and wiring.

And with the heater and dash in place I just had to fit the two hundred rubber gaiters the 105alfas have. And with that done I just had to try the centre console as well. Man this is gonna look good!

and look at that rear leg room!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
It’s not quite as enormous as she says.. 😂
The area is quite cramped with hoses, drain, ventilation pipea and heater valve etc so it had to be original size. Good thing I had that butchered Spider to use for parts.

good thing with all of this is that this evening I could vacuum the whole interior, use sealant on a few last places and tomorrow when it’s dry I can actually start to fit the sound deadening material and lay the carpets down! 🕺🏽

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Update!

resprayed the rear view mirror while it was out.
also got the insulation and noise cancelling material fitted all throughout the interior. From bulkhead to rear seat. Fantastic improvement.
The rear half of the sill got repaired toegether with the bottom of the b-pillar same side.
I also made new panels to go all round the fuel tank hole and fitted the fuel tank.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
The right rear door had a huge chunk of rust which was cut out. Since the fender flares go over this part of the door, a quicker repair was done.

a missing seat mount (someone threw it away when cleaning up..... :p ) was created and welded back. The door is almost finished.
But on to more exciting stuff!!! I’ve managed to do a little three-way-switcharoo and gotten hold of a complete set of Alfa Sei Heads incl. the six standing dellorto carbs and the elusive alfa Sei oil pan that fits a 105 and an adapter to fit the 105series gearbox to the busso.
this car will in other words have a 3.0 12v built with QV cams and standing carbs close to the South African GTV6 3.0 specs of the 80’s touring car era! Wth around 200hp and maybe 270Nm it will be ome fun ride for sure!

161 - 180 of 212 Posts