Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
To keep me sane (somewhat..) I sometimes try to do other stuff that feel more productive and instant. With thr help of a friend we sanitised the mingy old centre console and got rid of 13yrs of dirt from the outside and the treated it to some leather balm and chrome polish.

The interior will get a 60's/70's club sport feel mixed with thoughtful details. The centre console wooden veneer and tray will be clad in perforated brown vinyl/suede look. And so will the veneer on the dashboard. the veneer isn't in grwat shape anyway so purists look away and appreciate the saving of a too far gone berlina instead. The chrome trim on both the dashboard and centre console will remain and hopefully accentuate the perforated vinyl nicely.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The door cards are somewhat saveable... they are generally in ok condition but there are a few damages to the vinyl.

This is fine by me because they will get a slight customised treatment and some well earned chrome trim finishing.
As you can see the brown vinyl matches the door cards adequately. The door s will however retain the original brown vinyl because I like an original touch to my car but the top 5-6cm will get black vinyl and the bottom 10-12cm will also get black vinyl to make the door cards seem slimmer to the eye. The edge of the black vinyl will get a chrome strip where it meets the brown original vinyl.
And to top it off I finally found correct seats for my build!

This will be made to look like an imaginary "Lusso" spec factory interior but done on a budget. Total cost for all of this will be around £200 including the seats! Love me a good bargain! :D

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Haha thank you.

Here is some added epicness for you then.

Sitting at home with a cold I couldn’t just do nothing at all so I dug out the old sewing machine and promptly began to shout at it and have a very serious argument with the routing of the bleeding thread! Not my cup of tea, much easier to get a welding machine started BUT!

Fever ranting or not I managed to actually sew a new gaiter for the shifter and added the old original rubber on top by hand sewing it in place and with that done I ignored my girls strong advice to stay at home and rest and snuck away to the garage to just see if it fit nicely.
Then I just had to see if the rest would look good and then I just had to finish it all off! :rofl:

I mean just look at this pretty little thing aye?!
The goal is to create a Singerlike interior with the smallest means ever ;)

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Just found this thread hidden away in the depths of AO. Epic work and will be following closely. Love your skills and dedication!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I love the creativity you employ to make the chassis leg. as you say, means must where the costs are concerned.

What does the Burman do?
Thank you :beer:
”Built not bought” ;)

The Burman Box is what this particular type of steering box is called. Alfa also used one from ZF which is even more expensive to replace so I’m glad mine only needed service and a new seal.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Just found this thread hidden away in the depths of AO. Epic work and will be following closely. Love your skills and dedication!

Thanks man!

Yeah it’s hard to say where this type of thread should be because it gets lost in the dark depths of alfaowner. :D

Right now I’m working away at repairing a Land Rover and fixing a 916 Spider to get some funds for the Berlina build.
I’m really excited over those bucket seats so I want to make sure I’ve got those on order. :beer:

I’m also impatiently waiting for my GTAm arches from Pesch.cz that just never ever seem to show up and their customer service is utmost appalling! Ordered in June and still arguing....

Should’ve been temporarily fitted to my car already and given a sneak peak as to what the brutal berlina will look like but noool, nada!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The fender flares finally arrived after the second shipping atempt!
I quickly finished my work day, jumped into the 166 and got to DHL 15min before closing time and then rushed to the garage to tape the flares up with a bit of masking tape.
And behold:

Will you just look at that violent Berlina!?!?! :smokin:

Brutus might just have to change name to Lemmy because this thing is absolutely filthy rockin’!
It instantly got a sort of bmw 2002ti-race look combined with the sedate family saloon feel of the Berlina.
The GTAm flares fit far closer than I thought they would so they probably wont need quite as much cutting and sectioning as I envisioned.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Blimey it seems I’m not the only one mad enough to put a whole new cross member into a 105 shell!. It’s a hell of a task isn’t it!.

Aye! A fun job, not at all daunting! :D I took my time so that I wouldn’t rush it and forget any measurements.
We’ll see if my car moves like a snake down the road afterwards or if it works as intended

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Nice, it already gives an old car (from looking at that chrome detail) a much more muscular look.
Yeah it definately got a bit more attitude with the fender flares!

On another note: yesterday I picked up what will become the back seat. Got a 916 rear seat for dirt cheap and will cut the middle part, widen it and recover in vinyl or leather. The beige leather will be recoloured brown to match door cards and upcoming front seats

The cushions and seat back actually fit way better than expected which was nice and on the plus side is weight!!!! This rear seat must way 20% of the original seat which is heavy as led.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yeah the 916 seats sure look good don’t they? Also they look pretty period correct to the untrained eye.

Need to dye them brown and modify to fit a bit better but that will come.
Next phase is welding the structural parts and floor so that the front can find its way back home again. It’s all a bit jello right now!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Rushing slowly with baby steps over here. I’ve been fixing other’s project cars for a while and hardly touched my own cars for too long but there has been some progress on the matter of the floor.

The frame has begun to take shape:

Test fitting shows it’s correct and more than good enough for a car that’s this ”too far gone”.

Both inner and outer structure are completed. Next up: Welds will meet the grinder and then the inner and outer parts will be welded together. I’m going to almost seam weld the whole thing so it’ll be up for the task of handling the future V6 mod!

Some critical welds get a dual pass.

Next up will be the floor pan that will most likely be made up of a discarded old Spider seriesII/III floor pan and modified to suit.
(This is supposed to be a low budget build after all..) :D

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Slow but steady.
It has now been straightened, grinded smooth and ehat will be the inside has now been painted with epoxy primer. The parts that will be welded are sprayer with weld primer.

Now comes the task of cutting and fitting a Spider floor to the berlina. They are quite different so lots of modifying required. The first hurdle will be what i started today: cutting the floor pan in to 4 slightly smaller pieces and welding them back together again.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I tried to fit the floor pan tvis weekend but ran out of time. Needed around 2hrs more to finish it enough to tack it into place. Well, close enough.

The original was as you can see well worn and since it was slightly used I opted for the spider floor pan instead but it’s wider, slightly different shape and also had some rust.

It was free though. So the two halves were joined and then the rust was replaced with some home grown panels.

We’re almost there but need a bit more time. (Will try to sneak away when the missus is preoccupied) :judge:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Nothing sexy to report but the anticipated 2hrs before fitting floor turned put to be 3hrs of work.

But now it’s there! I’ve only tacked it in place at the rear half so far but it’s finally there. Oh yeah!

Hope to be tinkering with more fun things soon.

41 - 60 of 188 Posts