Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Skills come with patience.
However most would say I’m a very impatient man :biglaugh:

But really my last project, the 166, saw me using a mig/mag welder for the first time. 6months after that project was finished I’m tearing down a whole car so it is more doable than what it first may seem.
But of course, you got to move slowly. The panel beating takes hours and hours.

For example that lower front clip.. the removal of some filler and reshaping of that crease along the top edge took around 4 hours. The shaping of the more intricate panels have taken around 5-6hrs each when they bend in two directions in the same place.
And not to mention the time it takes to actually cut a rotten part out.

My most hated pastime must be drilling of spot welds. God I absolutely loath that tedious work!

Welding and grinding is pretty fun though. :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Some chatting about with the dutchies led me on to Arese trading for springs instead of the harvey bailey kit or alfaholics. When a new years special offer came up I new I had to give myself a treat.
Areses stage two springs, apparently similar to alfaholics B, but more resilient to nose dives after speed bumps. Got them for a great deal.

Then on to the business end: the 1750 will be getting some budget work done because this engine is only going to be temporary.

It wasn't too pretty when pulled out of the car.

Emptied the head and proceeded to do some work myself to keep costs down.

Lapping the valve seats is always amusing.......

And to add some character and a few horses a friend was pestered to give up an Alquati A32 cam 10.6 lift for me to use as an intake cam. Got it for a very friendly price.. ;)
BUT then another friend who turned hus 2.0 Alfetta into a Busso beast sold me another Alquati cam for next to nithing so pictured here is the new intake cam: now an Alquati A34 10.8 with monster duration :D
(The other alquati, not pictured, will become my exhaust cam.)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A 10.8 lift cam usually doesn't require grinding of the cam follower bores but hey, these alquatis have very wide cam lobes so some modification was necessary. After grinding the area was cleaned up from grinding burrs by chasing em down with grades of sanding paper up to 1200. Smooth as butter afterwards.

The head had gotten some work prior to my purchase it seemed. I tidied all of that up because someone had "ported" craters and ditches between the valve seat and the valve guide.
All ports were smoothened out a lot

Then my attention was turned to the other side of the ports where all casting residue was smoothened out, then the gaskets temporarily fitted and the ports opened up about 1mm as well as being smoothened out all around.

I'm just doing some mild porting because I can't help myself when an engine is opened up like this. However I don't over-do the porting. If more material would be removed a pro would have to do it, I just make better of what's already there.
After all this is all free horsepower albeit very few ;)

With the parts of the ports closest to the pistons tidied up and the other side of the ports closest to the intake opened up and smoothened out the intake manifold received its modifications. Only matchporting but that's welcomed to get rid of some rough casting and craters.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
As a thank you for helping out another 166owner I received an old lightened 1750 flywheel - well thank you!

So that didn't hurt much ;)

My exhaust cam was delivered to make my setup complete. So from just swapping the head gasket and skimming the head we now had a rally/race intake cam and a fast road exhaust cam, lightened flywheel and porting done. Oops ;)

My gaskets from highwoodalfa.com recently arrived and as always with Chris at Highwood the service and speedy delivery is impeccable.

The head back from the engine shop. Some valve guides replaced and a whole lot of skimming done to have 10.0 compr.ratio. up a tad from the 9.5 std compr. After all this is supposed to be a budget build so there's no money for high-compr. pistons etc.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The sorry state of the old engine had certainly made it resemble an old anchor more than a fine tuned italian twin cam classic!
Filthy!

Some tedious cleaning later

The fan blade was broken but thankfully in the 15 or so boxes of bits' n'pieces I got with the car a good used fan blade could be found and cleaned up.

Looks a lot better now.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Next the carburetors needed some sweet ole looovin'.
A friend had bought a machine to wash parts. How convenient ;)

The carbs where opened up and out came a stench of cadaver. Yummy, not serviced since forever maybe?
But then, oh yes, signs of somebody else having "repaired" things! If you ever think about carburetor renovation don't do this......

The poor old choke jet spring for one of the ports had been crammed into place and with it sitting there all crooked our orangutan mechanic proceded to tighten the lid........... poor thing. The choke parts that is, not the "mechanic"!

The rest of the carbs didn't look too bad actually but I could tell some serious cleaning would be necessary, nice crud at the bottom of the acc. Pump jets:

Now this all came as no real surprise because the outside of the carbs looked like this:

Crud brushed off, everything dismantled and then the carb body was chucked into the ultrasonic cleaner and cleaned twice.
Then back with all hand cleaned jets and pieces and cleaned once again with everything loosely in place.

Now to buy some new jets and gaskets. However it appears my wallet sometimes need to have the funds to buy food as well so we'll have to wait a bit. :ermm:

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Great work, and you say this is your first real project, can I come to stockholm for a drive when you're finished, I love those wheels too, is the GTV your's too

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Great work, and you say this is your first real project, can I come to stockholm for a drive when you're finished, I love those wheels too, is the GTV your's too
Thank you. You could say the project started around those wheels, I got hung up on them and found pictures of the SA race Berlina and new that right there was a 105series Alfa that I could afford!
Those wheels just make the whole car in my eyes. Much like the Zender Sienas on my 166 the build kind of centers around the wheels. :D

It is my first major build, yes. Previously I've fixed a whole lot of mechanicals and paint when it comes to my Alfas but no body work worth mentioning. Except for my recent 166 which I learned to weld on.
Who know when I'll be finished but I usually work pretty fast. What you see here is 6months worth of garage time.

The silver GTV6 belongs to a friend whom I'm using my bad influense on to repaint the whole engine bay, repaint the valve covers wrinkle finish red, add C&B camshafts to and fit extractors. :D
I did have a close to immaculate GTV from '77 though which I sold last year. That car had a lot of work done with its 160hp 2.0, home made door cards, repaint and lots of subtle improvements like chrome vent knobs from early alfetta instead of dull plastic. That list could go on and on!

That car is sorely missed I tell you but I can't keep them all.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Seems to be time to pop one open then! :biglaugh:
A lot less work than a 24v Busso ;)

So what’s happened here since last?
The flu. Not just any flu. A five week flu that saw me delirious in high fever and then to top it off when I’ve started to get better the cough got worse and now I’ve got torn muscles in my ribs on both sides. I’m walking like a zombie and not making much use of my time in the garage.

So a few things have been welded and a couple of bits and bobs have been painted but I’ll get back with pictures of the progress when it actually starts looking like progress! :)

Oh and the 166 is calling out for attention since something has started knocking at the rear axle and needs some of my own wizardry to make the wizard exhaust sound like it should again after I foolishly installed a mid silencer which took all the fun away.
I’ve gotten some guidelines from the wizard crew though so it should be up and screaming soon again. ��

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Skills come with patience.
However most would say I’m a very impatient man :biglaugh:

For example that lower front clip.. the removal of some filler and reshaping of that crease along the top edge took around 4 hours.
I would not say that you are that impatient!!

I am following your 166 thread too now :thumbs:

I love the CAD cardboard!

Looking forward to the progression of this masterpiece.

I also love the Cardboard aided design idea. I am also impressed that your tolerances are all within 1mm - good work.

Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks!
The 166 is my pride and joy but it sure knows how to scream for attention when left alone!

Well the two month flu is over but that had meant catching up with.. life! I suppose.

One car needs work to sell
The VW camper needed/needs quite some maintenance
The everyday-Alfa (166) has demanded attention.

Pretty soon focus will begin shifting over to the Berlina again though.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Some small work has been done every now and then.

The engine bay is just about complete. The battery tray is thrown in the bin and new sheet metal is in place.
Chaulking or whatever one might call it in english is covering all joints and possible rust places.

The inside of the front has been painted matte black. I will be keeping it black so that no colour shines through the grille opening. I’m a bit allergic to that.

The front light assembly was in terrible shape and I spent close to two hours taking them back to metal before prime and paint.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Feels good to see the front end in one colour now.

I then replaced the seals in the clutch master cylinder and adressed some ”repairs” by someone else. The master cyl was a hassle to remove since it wasn’t held in place by the original fixings so some spot welds later it was a breeze to refit. I spladhed some new Verde Muschio paint on there as well. Seems as though Mr. Wonder had some part in it though since there’s now also some paint on the cable next to it...

I swapped some parts and got a hold of Carellos in fair nick that’ll pass inspection. Then I absolutely had to get some period correct old-scool yellow bulbs for them. The visibility will most likely be atrocious but it will look good! :D

The upper front facia has gotten the ends replaced and then primed

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The head is more or less ready to go back onto the engine. Needs torquing of the camshafts but that’s it.
I dug out a new cam cover from the shelves. This one needed far less work to look fairly decent compared to the old original one next to it!
All seals etc have been replaced on the head and new gaskets all around of course.

The tired old grille parts got a spa treatment at home when I had the fever. Had to wait until my girl was out.

Since then I’ve been wrestling with (and cursing at) the burman box. The steering arm avsolutely refuses to let go and I’m growing ever closer to throwing it in the nearest lake.

So instead I’ve shifted focus to the lower front fascia which is in tatters still.
I haven’t felt the energy needed to tackle this part because the only things remaining of the original sheet metal will in essence be the blinkers surroundings and the bumper mounts. The rest will be new, piece by piece.
The part at the bottom is being replaced one half at the time.

It may not look like much but I’m fairly chuffed about the outcome. The small crease lines up beautifully with the original and will hardly need any filler.

And here I was thinking ”no need to update, I’ve hardly done anything to the car!”

Well this prt of the front is almost done.

Sneak peak of what the head lights will look like with yellow bulb vs. standard.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Long time no sea as the captain said..

Time for a long overdue update,
The engine is all in one piece now. Cams, timing, distributor aligned. I also happened to look t the 116 2.0 flywheel bolts tightening specs and absolutely murdered the threads for the flywheel bolts so that was fun.
No biggie though, have new parts for replacement and the 105series workshop handbook arrived with the post one day after I destroyed my threads haha! Irony - it really knows how to hit you in the face!

I've continued working on the front fascia and the left hand side is almost finished

Quick mockup to find inspiration.

The engine and gearbox are now waiting for me to replace the broken parts and then mount the lightened 1750 flywheel.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
In order for the engine to find its way back home the burman box has to be fitted but the bodywork needed rust fixing and strengthening, and in order for that to happen the rotten "supporting" chassis leg had to be replaced and in order for that to happen the floor had to come out.

And because the floor was in horrific state new floor panels have to be made.

And since no adventure is a straight line we have to backtrack to the chassis leg before creating the floor.....

Cardboard template made!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Not there yet but slowly getting there..

It'd be nice to have the cash to just buy the whole part but I find it way too expensive to pay £90+£70+VAT+shipping for two u-shaped pieces with one bend in the middle...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Meanwhile I've restored the Burman! I had a spare but sold it to fund other parts so luckily the innards of my original Burman box were in great shape. Swapped the o-ring at the bottom for a new one, cleaned the whole thing up and painted the lud. Then new grease for the bearings and this baby is ready for fitting and some oil!

This was completely covered in 1cm thick dirt/grease and was completely black. It took two days of washing and scraping to get it to look nice.

The left hand side front suspension is getting the same treatment. Looks godawful but mechanically it seems quite alright. The bearing for example is in unashamedly excellent order.
I've started grinding everything and painting it so that it at least looks good for MOT

The only thing I need for the suspension is the lower joint which was in an absolutely appalling state where the ball joint was actually almost coming loose from its socket! :cheeky:

21 - 40 of 188 Posts