Alfa Romeo Forum banner
201 - 212 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m really pleased to see this isn’t another over ambitious project that died. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all your posts. Good luck for the rest of the build. I’m from South Africa. There was a 2000 berlina that raced in our local series. It also had widened fenders. I’ll share a photo shortly

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
I’m really pleased to see this isn’t another over ambitious project that died. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all your posts. Good luck for the rest of the build. I’m from South Africa. There was a 2000 berlina that raced in our local series. It also had widened fenders. I’ll share a photo shortly
Thanks! Well there were times when I thought about dragging this old pile of.. to the back of the workshop and setting it ablaze. 😬
But now I’m a lot closer to being able to primer the whole thing and that will be the big step forward. I’ve also made a good aquaintance who is a painter (I’m pretty alright at it but it just takes too much time) so I can probably have it painted for a steal!

the whole start of this project was actually the 1970-1972 class winner touring car berlina ”GTAm” that Chatz from south africa drove to victory!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Sorry if its been mentioned where did those wheels come from what size j are they so jealous
the wheels were the most important thing of the build ;) the car is built around the fitment of the wheels hehe. They’re Alfaholics 8x15” with ET at something extreme like 0 or so. They widen A LOT!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
With the left wide arch ready for final shaping I turned attention to the right rear door, finished off the new little panel that sets the width of the arch that is going to be riveted to the door.
The rear arch was eyeballed using masking tape ti see where the line is going to be for the berlina style wheel arch.

the left side arch was then removed and screwed onto the right side arch to be avle to trim the RHS to the exact same shape as the LHS.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Fiberglass work is not the most funnest of thingies. In fact it’s a drag! Stinks, messy, inprecise. Not my thing. However! It needs to be done so the RHS wide arch was built up the same way as the LHS with a steel rod making the new body line and aluminium mesh yo make up a base for the fibreglass to be laid on.
next step will be fibreglass filler and then a lot of tedious sanding.

And that’s just about where we are now. I’ve done some filler work and will have more pics up soon.

still left to do is
  • repair caster mount on RHS (idiot me forgot to weld 6-7 spot welds which are now hindered by something small like the 1750 engine 🤦‍♂️)
  • finish the rear wheel wells
  • reshape the rear light clusters to accomodate berlina 2000 rear lights.
  • make brackets to hold the rear bump stops.
  • repair corners of rear and weld NOS boot slam panel

other than that we soon have the fun stuff to do like putting it back together

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
the wheels were the most important thing of the build ;) the car is built around the fitment of the wheels hehe. They’re Alfaholics 8x15” with ET at something extreme like 0 or so. They widen A LOT!
Ok look I'm not an engineer just a driver, I have 15's any reason I can't put them on my gtv alfetta 2.0, love the story behind the berlina rebuild

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Well 8x15” with low ET means they widen mostly outwards so they are impossible to use without cutting up the arches and mounting wide fenders. They just stick out too much.
and secondly 105 berlina’s have 4x108 bolt pattern on the wheels whereas 116 alfettas use 4x98 so they’re not compatible. But there are a few specialty wheel manufacturers like NTM out there that make the same basic rims but in more modest measurements and 116 bolt pattern. 👍

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Got some toys a while ago. Bilsteins for the front (will use a softer setup at the rear with slightly softer springs and yellow konis. Also in the delivery were the rear bump stops which need to be welded onto new brackets (old one’s were rusted out.)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
On with the show! This filler business and fibreglass business is none of my business.. but we’re getting there now.
starting to take shape and I’ve started toying with the idea of running them this coming season in fibreglass but further on replacing them with carbon fibre and using these ones as a buck for molding.

now let’s go upside down for a while.. I started replacing the lhs corner were the join is. That was toast so I cut it out and redid the panel without a join to get ride of the rot.

Carrying on with the upsidedownism.. the rear valance I made a year ago has bugger me for the last 12 months or so! 🤦‍♂️😅 it had a kink over on the right hand side that just couldn’t be removed so I bit the bullet and cut 1/3 of the rear valance out and made a new panel and welded in place. This one fits like it should and as soon as the welds have been ground back I can planish part of it with a hammer and dolly to make it smooth again.
while I was at it I seam welded the boot floor to the rear valance so that part is done and just needs sealant and epoxi.

with those things out if the way I trial fitted the NOS slam panel/reinforcement panel that goes on the inside of the rear. Since my boot floor is anything but stock so is the fitment of the slam panel so I cut that down 10mm and trial fitted it with the boot lock and checked for fitment and gap… looked absolutely splendid! 🤙

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Stupid phone decided my images should all be upside down for some reason.. anywhoo the rhs corner of the rear was in a very sad state. I had to cut out half of it and so I made a new one by hand.
started by making the rearmost part, then the side and then cut out the little fold and welded that so three pieces became one. The shape was too complex to do it all at once without causing too much distortion. Came out looking mint though and follows the curvature perfect. Chuffed!
the old hacked corner was just made up of old rust holes covered in led and filler. No bueno..

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
Onwards! The centre part that I had roughed in and then left for a year now got a bit of attention again. I hammer and dolly’ed the shape a bit and started to cut out a panel to fill the gap. Also measured that the raised centre section is level with the hatch 👍

It’s held in by clips during most of the welding process. Tackedalong the bottom first since that has bo exactly 10mm from the lip of the lower rear valance panel. Then tacked the top.
no distortion thankfully and that’s mostly achieved by making absolutely sure that the gap is more than perfect. If that isn’t the case then the rest will be a mess. Guaranteed!
So with that done the next step will be to cut the lip above this new panel I welded and weld the whole thing tight to the car. Right now the top part of the lip is just held in by self tappers.

ran out of time for today though so I test fitted the 2000 tail lights and enjoyed looking at a project car instead of a abandoned old heap!

201 - 212 of 212 Posts