Alfa Romeo Forum banner

181 - 188 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
next stop: trying out different tyre sizes. The old mock up wheel has an R-tyre with 205/50x15 and this new one is a normal street tyre, 195/55x15. Results: a bit more stretch, still looks quite alright and era true somehow.

Then the clock struck 13:42 so we installed the plug wires because we had another guys weekend with fine beer, lots of good tunes and a start up of the 1750 (the MOT engine..)

We cranked and we cranked and after a while felt nope, we’re not getting any hot sauce. Checked for gas and the hoses were dry. Suspected the mechanical pump went bust sometime during the last fifteen years because with gas directly in the carbs It fired up straight away!!!!! Wohoo! 🤘going to buy a low pressure electrical pump instead.

next stop: picking up my new bellhousing which acts like an adapter for the 105gearbox to the upcoming 3.0 12v busso.
And with a few new parts for the prop shaft I’m hoping it’ll be all set for use!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Actually you’re right. The brakelines and brakes on the rear axle need to be mounted, the prop shaft needs to find its way home and that electrical low pressure fuel pump I just bought needs to be installed. That’s about it for actual start up and driveability 😁
However there’s quiiiite a few things more to sort out 😅

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #184 (Edited)
New thoughts on engine.... so I have 2.5 parts, I have Sei heads and everything and I have a 3.0
All of this time I’ve just thought about Building a Stock ”3.0 Sei” engine with carbies but the other day my friend who’s old 3.0 is going to be used in my build said something worth thinking about. Basically there’s this holy grail right? Combining the short stroke 2.5 crank with the big bore 3.0 pistons/sleeves to create a 2.8! Now the stock 3.0 has a boring compression ratio of like 9.5:1 or something. And since the Sei heads are for a 2.5 the need to be machined in the combustion chamber to match up to the bigger sleeves and pistons. If I’m going through all this trouble just to make a fun, charismatic engine, I can just as well have the cc of the combustion chambers be machined exactly as I want to get the right compr.ratio because the 2.8 is supposed to be the most charismatic engine of them all. It does however get quite wonky compr.ratio so adjusting that ever so slightly with the combustion chamber shape and cc’s will probably enable me to get a very fast revving 2.8 with a reasonable compr.ratio of around 10.5-11:1 or thereabouts, adding loads of torque over the normal 2.5 and adding loads of rev happiness over the 3.0!

(can’t use 3.0 heads anyway because the 2.5 Sei heads have a different inlet with mounting points for the carbies already cast into the inlet.)

what do you reckon? 😁🤔

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
No idea but it sounds like fun - what are you anticipating in terms of power, more than the 2.5 but less than the 3.0?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
That depends on cams and compression ratio. Read about one 2.8 with 190hp on the wheels. Hey that would do the trick! 😅 However 190hp on the flywheel would suffice.
Basically anything over 185 is my goal because that’s what a bog stock old 3.0 12v would give me and it’s where an old 2.0 twincam starts becoming rediculously expensive and about as cute and cuddly as a hand grenade...
A friend of mine built a bunch of 2.0’s and they all died a terrible death somewhere before 190-200hp.

a v6 regardless of 2.5/2.8/3.0 should meet and excees that limit in my book so that’s where my goal is. and character! Most of all the engine and the whole car needs to be fun and full of character much more than it needs to be fast on a piece of paper!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
They weigh around 1100kg standard. Figures vary as with allnitalian cars for some reason. Should be able to keep it at fairly close to 1000kg’s without too much fuss I hope. If it’s 990 I’ll be thrilled. If it’s 1050 I’ll still be a happy camper because I’ve used quite some sound deadening.
A mates Alfetta 1.8 sedan with a 3.0 12v that I’ve driven a bit weighs in at 980kg and goes like absolute stink! 😁

181 - 188 of 188 Posts