1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I found this lovely looking GTV6 on Pistonheads:

Alfa Romeo : LHD GTV6 3.0 just finished a completed restoration

It seems to be pretty extensively restored. Does anyone know anything about this car and could comment on the quality of the workmanship, completeness of the restoration, etc?

I've always liked the GTV6 but as I'm a perfectionist there are rarely good enough cars on the market. Based on the pictures of the restoration this one seems mechanically and bodywork-wise to be pretty near "as good as new". Based on the pictures I would probably still have to have some work done on the interior. Does anyone know how much it would cost to:

- have the leather interior re-trimmed in new leather
- have new door cards or if unavailable, re-trim the existing
- have the dashboard re-trimmed in leather
- have new carpets (hard to assess the condition with the new mats on top) inserted
- have roof lining re-trimmed (again hard to comment on the condition of the current one)

Would this be so expensive that it would not be worth on such a car as the GTV6?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hi All,

I found this lovely looking GTV6 on Pistonheads:

Alfa Romeo : LHD GTV6 3.0 just finished a completed restoration

It seems to be pretty extensively restored. Does anyone know anything about this car and could comment on the quality of the workmanship, completeness of the restoration, etc?

I've always liked the GTV6 but as I'm a perfectionist there are rarely good enough cars on the market. Based on the pictures of the restoration this one seems mechanically and bodywork-wise to be pretty near "as good as new". Based on the pictures I would probably still have to have some work done on the interior. Does anyone know how much it would cost to:

- have the leather interior re-trimmed in new leather
- have new door cards or if unavailable, re-trim the existing
- have the dashboard re-trimmed in leather
- have new carpets (hard to assess the condition with the new mats on top) inserted
- have roof lining re-trimmed (again hard to comment on the condition of the current one)

Would this be so expensive that it would not be worth on such a car as the GTV6?
To be honest when a car is 25 years old why would you want it to look that new? The leather in that 6 is in great condition, better than my 156's! The door cards are unavailable but again they look great. The dashboard could be 'leathered' as in all honesty it does look poorly made in most GTV6's I agree. Carpets again look fine and are unavailable unless you have them made. The roof lining is also unavailable but I have heard an american guy is making some. Otherwise you could recover the existing headlining with a new glued layer. Anyway I don't know if I am a just a bit old fashioned but if you replace most of your old Alfa with new bits, surely my not just buy a Brera???

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest when a car is 25 years old why would you want it to look that new? The leather in that 6 is in great condition, better than my 156's! The door cards are unavailable but again they look great. The dashboard could be 'leathered' as in all honesty it does look poorly made in most GTV6's I agree. Carpets again look fine and are unavailable unless you have them made. The roof lining is also unavailable but I have heard an american guy is making some. Otherwise you could recover the existing headlining with a new glued layer. Anyway I don't know if I am a just a bit old fashioned but if you replace most of your old Alfa with new bits, surely my not just buy a Brera???
I suppose I've always been fascinated by "time-warp" cars i.e. in the condition it would have been when some lucky person bought it for the first time in 1985. And as this car doesn't have the original engine anyway, trying to stick to the original parts in the rest of the car for authenticity isn't really worth it.

In terms of the carpet, yes, the parts that are visible do look good. And maybe on the door cards it's just the way the light reflects off the velvet (?) that gives the impression of some stains or worn-out sections (e.g. passenger door above the loudspeaker). But as I said, I'm a perfectionist :)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
It looks a nice car. If you were to do the inside as you wanted to, it would cost you a bomb! To me the interior looks fine (apart from the horrible speakers drilled into the door cards) What I would question however, is there do not seem to be any photos (of the hundred or so posted) of work done on the chassis under the car, the sills, or floor sections etc - so i would question whether it was in really solid condition in the first place and didn't need it (that would be very rare!) or the restoration did not bother with that somewhat important part of a restoration!

If you want time warp, then be prepared to pay a lot more: like this one for sale in Holland (just 600 km from new, IF you can believe what he says! I am a little doubtful, as the kms on the tacho do not line up perfectly, and they should imo!)
Alfa Romeo GTV 6/2.5 als Sportwagen/Coupé in Naarden

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks a nice car. If you were to do the inside as you wanted to, it would cost you a bomb! To me the interior looks fine (apart from the horrible speakers drilled into the door cards) What I would question however, is there do not seem to be any photos (of the hundred or so posted) of work done on the chassis under the car, the sills, or floor sections etc - so i would question whether it was in really solid condition in the first place and didn't need it (that would be very rare!) or the restoration did not bother with that somewhat important part of a restoration!

If you want time warp, then be prepared to pay a lot more: like this one for sale in Holland (just 600 km from new, IF you can believe what he says! I am a little doubtful, as the kms on the tacho do not line up perfectly, and they should imo!)
Alfa Romeo GTV 6/2.5 als Sportwagen/Coupé in Naarden
Thanks for the tip about the floor and sills! I know nothing about car restoration, so this sort of info is most welcome and useful!

I noticed these pics though:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Chris....onProject?feat=directlink#5513091807460971202

https://picasaweb.google.com/Chris....onProject?feat=directlink#5513091823166986994

Do they not show the underside of the car?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
If I were to spend a penny on that otherwise perfect car, it would be to dump the Pirelli P6000 ditch finders and fit something better (by that, I mean absolutely ANYTHING!!!)

·
Registered
674 Posts
What I would question however, is there do not seem to be any photos (of the hundred or so posted) of work done on the chassis under the car, the sills, or floor sections etc - so i would question whether it was in really solid condition in the first place and didn't need it (that would be very rare!) or the restoration did not bother with that somewhat important part of a restoration!
Me too.

I saw this ad too and was initially interested but as you say, in the hundreds of photos, many of which are repeats, there is no information about the structural work. It claims to be a bare metal restoration but there is precious little evidence of that in the photos. The ad also claims the engine is prepared by Alex Jupe; why then are there photos of it being stripped in the seller's garage? If you were seriously interested in this car I'd give Alex a ring.

I passed the link on to some friends who are better judges of horse-flesh than me and the advice was "I'd give it a miss".

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me too.

I saw this ad too and was initially interested but as you say, in the hundreds of photos, many of which are repeats, there is no information about the structural work. It claims to be a bare metal restoration but there is precious little evidence of that in the photos. The ad also claims the engine is prepared by Alex Jupe; why then are there photos of it being stripped in the seller's garage? If you were seriously interested in this car I'd give Alex a ring.

I passed the link on to some friends who are better judges of horse-flesh than me and the advice was "I'd give it a miss".
I dropped the seller an e-mail and the response was that apparently the underside didn't require any work. He said: "no work on the underside was necessary, we had to have the rear part of the front wings and inner front wings and there was also a dent in the rear quarter panel this was done at the garage and then re-sprayed as you can see from the extra photos."

That doesn't sound like a bare metal restoration, does it? Apparently he bought both the car and the engine from Alex Jupe. I think the old truth that if something seems too good to be true, it is.

He said he'll be taking the car to Alfa Spring Day in Duxford on 17 April. Shame I can't make it on that day. If anyone is going, I would appreciate feedback.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think the old truth that if something seems too good to be true, it is.
Mmmn. That's what I thought too. :(

I won't be able to make the 17th April event either - I would be interested in hearing what others think if they do get to see it in the flesh.

If the vendor has bought both car and engine from Alex it would definitely be worth speaking to him should you be interested in pursuing it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello All,

The car for sale is mine. As I said the car was bought from Alex Jupe June 2009. Please feel free to call him and check about the condition. I'm sure he will remember it. I have just gone into the garage and taken a few photos of the underneath. The problem now with the internet is that you have to post so many photos just to get someone to come a have a look for themselves. The chassis did not need any work so I didn't take any photos. I did take them of the rear de-dion as that came out. Also I did replace the rear wheel as well although not bad, a little rust around the useless rubber plugged holes that Alfa decided to put in for what reason I could never understand just somewhere for water to sit I guess. Oh and for those now saying "oh he forgot to mention that, what else has he forgotten" then think what you will. If you are really interested in buying one of these cars then you would come over and take a look for yourself as you can never get a good idea of the condition of the car from pictures.
I have added a few photos of the underneath at the bottom of the list at the link below.

Here is the link https://picasaweb.google.com/Chris.Fella/AlfaGTV6RestorationProject?feat=directlink

The car is not perfect. I did not replace everything for new as I would never get any where close to what I spent on it. I like working on these cars and I bought it as I couldn't find an early Bertone GTV at the time, so I eventually spoke to Alex and he said he had a solid car need a bit of work so I when down to see and it. I manage to find a Guilia GTV last year and it was being stored until I finished this one as I don not have the room to 2 in the garage.
The car is over 26 years old, but it is in very good solid condition and those going to the spring Alfa day can see for themselves.

Oh and for the pureist's is have the original engine and a 2nd one also given to me by Alex for any spares that were needed in the conversion.

Also I did not say the engine was prepared by Alex Jupe. I purchased the engine from him with the car. It was rebuilt by a mechanic friend who rebuilds engines for Head Racing Developments near Cambridge.

Are the photos of the rear de-dion, red springs and calipers not showing to Public viewers?

Ok reading the ad on pistonheads the paragraph about the engine is a little misleading, but that was not my intention. I have re-worded it.

regards
Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I were to spend a penny on that otherwise perfect car, it would be to dump the Pirelli P6000 ditch finders and fit something better (by that, I mean absolutely ANYTHING!!!)
I only replaced with what was on them when I got the car. I hope they're not bad bad as you say as I have only just bought them.:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts