Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does James Martin actually know anything about cars ?:rolleyes:

I ask this because in today's Mail on Sunday (don't get me started) Live Motoring Supplement he is featured and I quote :

"When he bought a 1967 Mustang GTA Fastback on ebay, James martin thought it would be fun to ship it back to Britain and rebuild it himself (we'll come back to that). Two years, hundreds of phonecalls and £100,000 later he's finally created Steve McQueen's iconic american muscle car.":eek:

Now I'm hooked because The 68 Mustang 390 GT fast back a la McQueen is I'm afraid in my ever revolving top two favourite cars of all time. Here's a pic of the real thing.

aa_1968_ford_mustang_gt_bullitt.jpg

Martin says...

"Fashion isn't my thing, but I do know this: if you really, really care about clothes, you go bespoke. It costs more, but you end up with something unique.

And actually, it's the same with cars. Take this (refferring to his car NOT the car above) Sixties Ford Mustang GTA Fastback - petrolheads will recognise it as the car Steve McQueen hammered round San Francisco in Bullitt. Right?"

Wrong James, it's a mish mash. It is a car that never existed until today. McQueens car was not a Shelby Cobra it didn't have boy racer stripes, it wasn't bloody purple for **** sake! or done up like a tarts boudoir on the inside either.

Remember when my 1948 Maserati died a few miles into the Mille Miglia race last spring, shattering a lifelong dream?

How could we forget, probably the most disasterous foray into motoring since Mr Toad found himself outside his local branch of the Car Supermarket, parp! parp!

I bought this Mustang at around that time, on eBay in America for about $40,000 -20,000 back then.

'I've wound up rebuilding the entire car to my own specifications, proving along the way that Britain still has the best bespoke car makes in the world,' says James of the 1967 Mustang GTA Fastback

You can pick up Mustangs for a quarter of that, but the '67 Fastback is one of the most desirable. It had two previous owners, down in humid Florida (which should have rung alarm bells), and shipping it over here took three months, £1,500 and a lot of phone calls. When it got here, it was falling apart. Thanks, internet.

I'm sorry but if you are so niaive as to buy something like this on the internet then caveat emptor is what I say, you were lucky it wasn't 1/8th scale.

The first job was to strip it down and work out what needed fixing - a task I handed to Carmichael Sport Cars in Southampton. Two months later, the boss Quentin called me in to see, basically, a huge pile of rust on the floor. He asked if I wanted to restore it back to the way it looked in 1967. I thought so, but he pointed out that '67 Mustangs had massive gaps in the panel fit, often concealed with lead filler - and this type had a grille that collected rainwater like a tin bath, so I was asking for trouble.

We had to start somewhere, though, so I ordered new panels in from an American classic-parts firm (there are loads), and months later they were fitted to the frame - except they didn't fit. I reordered them - same problem. Three boots, five doors, three bonnets and God knows how many other panels later - each costing twice as much to air-freight as it did to buy - I had to admit that a proper, original

Mustang is a badly designed piece of rubbish. So now what?

We sat down, worked out exactly what I wanted the car to do (go fast, corner well, brake well and be comfy), and began to build it from the ground up, this time using British components. Best decision I ever made

I'd hate to see the others, You've torn out any shred of originality from the car and paid to have it turned into what can only be described as Elanor's older, sluttier, sister. Real petrol heads will know what I'm talking about.) But incase you don't here's Elanor.

elanor_mustang_gone_60_image005.jpg

First came the bonnet scoop, hand-made by Vintage Cars out of metal, not fibreglass as is the norm. It took 70 hours to make, but was perfect. Then there was the engine: out went the '289' V8 (289 cubic inches, or 4.7 litres), to be replaced with a more powerful 5.4 'stroker' (an engine with the crankshaft and connecting rods altered to give greater displacement). I also replaced the three-speed auto gearbox with a five-speed manual.

James Martin and a 1967 Mustang GTA (W.T.F.:confused:) Fastback
article-1206294-05F5236A000005DC-466_634x286.jpg

Proper cornering meant changing the suspension: out with the old leaf springs and in with independent shocks. I got a new prop shaft, threw the medieval drum brakes in the bin and ordered new disc brakes. After every Saturday Kitchen for a year, I got my overalls on to inspect the work, as all those manhours of skilled labour gradually started to pay off.

Finally, with the engine working and the British-made panels fitting perfectly, the thing had a pulse. Then came the colour choice. A hard decision - green, like McQueen's Bullitt car? Please God no!:cry:Black, white or blue?

In the end I went for deep purple - the only one on the road

Is that because its also the colour of a ****?:lol:)

as Quentin assures me he will not do another

Did you not wonder why ? even Quentin has some pride !:lol:).

The inside was going to be leather, but I swapped it for black Alcantara :cry:- a synthetic suede - just after I test-drove the amazing Lamborghini Gallardo for Live. I love this material so much I even got my man Vince at Gibson Trimming to do the roof lining and boot in it. It's outstanding work - the result is a car you want to sit in and stroke.

The steering wheel is British, from Moto-Lita, while the gauges came from JME (after a delay of a few months due to the California brush fires). The car also features a custom exhaust by Electromec, with a button to open the baffles and give you the full, fiery roar of the 450bhp engine.

My first drive in it was one of the best experiences of my life. It did everything we intended it to do: it started, went (0-60 in 5.5 seconds), stopped and, most importantly, cornered on rails.

It still takes pride of place in my garage, and means more to me than supercars at the same price (which was probably over £100,000 by the time we'd finished). It was a two-year labour of love, a nightmare at times, but I'd do it again - and I reckon more people should give it a try.

Why? Because this, ladies and gentlemen, is a showcase for British engineering. If they'd made Mustangs like this in the first place, they would have been the best cars in history. It makes me proud to know we still have the finest craftsmen in the world, and that whoever ends up owning this car in the future will lift its all-American hood and find a little badge inside.

It says, 'Made In Britain.' :rolleyes:

I'm sorry people like this can get their hands on true classics, It makes my heart sink every time I see an over polished over restored example at Toad fests like Quail Lodge. I'd have had more respect if he had tried to recreate the Bullit car but I'm sorry He's watched too much Dave I don't think he can ever be saved. :rolleyes:

rant over:mad:

N

·
0 Posts
I thought this was going to be a rant about Charles II. :eek:

Anyway, seem to be he's basically destroyed a classic car.

If he really wanted that modern driving experience why did he not
just buy a modern US car and ship that over instead?

The man is an ****. And who the **** is he anyway?
Obviously a "member" of the more-money-than-sense brigade.

He's ended up with a pastiche of a classic American car.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I think I would have prefered it if he had just given this car over to the guys at 'Pimp my Ride' at least then it may have been save able in the future.:rant:

H

·
0 Posts
Eleanor is awesome. McQueens GT is awesome.

James Martin is an ar5e of the highest order.

Close the thread, I've summed it up.

V

·
0 Posts
Typical celeb mindset - too much money, don't know what to do with it, spend it on a whim and pretend to be passionate/knowledgeable about it.

Going back to the Mille Miglia thing, didn't he get himself a trophy blonde co-driver (who actually knew her stuff by the way), then he ignored her advice, drove it himself from the start of the event to show off, over-revved it before it was properly run-in and the engine blew up...aww, I was soooo disappointed for him... :rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Eleanor is awesome. McQueens GT is awesome.

James Martin is an ar5e of the highest order.

Close the thread, I've summed it up.
:lol::lol::lol: :thumbs:

Typical celeb mindset - too much money, don't know what to do with it, spend it on a whim and pretend to be passionate/knowledgeable about it.

Going back to the Mille Miglia thing, didn't he get himself a trophy blonde co-driver (who actually knew her stuff by the way), then he ignored her advice, drove it himself from the start of the event to show off, over-revved it before it was properly run-in and the engine blew up...aww, I was soooo disappointed for him... :rolleyes: :lol:
:cheese::cheese:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts