Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Is vinyl wrapping a realistic alternative.

Full respray is big money, im guessing a good percentage is labour time, plus those ovens/spraybooths are mega money! not thousands but 10's of thousands!!

Dom

·
Registered
132 Posts
Very much depends on the quality of the work. I know a company in London who can do a full re-spray for £800, but it looks totally shyte, you'd be better off not having it done. Then I know of another place that asks for £1700 +vat and the car will look like it's fresh out the factory.

Doubt you can get away with a cheap way of doing this, you get what you pay for with car spraying.

You can always give car wrapping a diy go. It'll set you back £200 for the vynil used and it does look pretty simple:
wrapped my car - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
vinyl wrapping is much cheaper option at around £800-1000

Benefits are that its covers and protects you paint underneath. Less fading over time (especialy if you have a red car) Lasts 5 years appparently

Easy and cheap to get replaced if you car is scratched.

Drawbacks are that it can look odd when you see the different colour paint around the door and sills when you get inside, as it literaly just covers the outside.

Again depends what you like as I think this Matt black GT looks nice (rims are debatable lol)

http://s4.mojalbum.com/587124_16041915_16041963/alfa-romeo-gt-matte-black/16041963.jpg

Lee

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
vinyl wrapping is much cheaper option at around £800-1000

Benefits are that its covers and protects you paint underneath. Less fading over time (especialy if you have a red car) Lasts 5 years appparently

Easy and cheap to get replaced if you car is scratched.

Drawbacks are that it can look odd when you see the different colour paint around the door and sills when you get inside, as it literaly just covers the outside.

Again depends what you like as I think this Matt black GT looks nice (rims are debatable lol)

http://s4.mojalbum.com/587124_16041915_16041963/alfa-romeo-gt-matte-black/16041963.jpg

Lee
It depends on the company but I have seen cars with the sills done (pictures only). Im going to do a course on car wrap next month and looking to wrap my bella.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
I reckon if you were to strip the car yourself and possibly sand it to 600, you could get it done cheaper? as the majority of the cost i believe is labour.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Are/where you a hobbyist Jack or do/did you know what you were doing?
A hobbyist...trained on the internet :lol:
My dad helped me most of the way as he has done a few cars over the years and i wanted to learn. I decided to invest in new kit to try and achieve the best results I could first time round.

It didn't go great and I am still in the middle of sanding it down a polishing up (bits that are done are fantastic, like a glass finish) - never seem to find the time though. I am lucky enough that his garage is big enough and well equipped.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I reckon if you were to strip the car yourself and possibly sand it to 600, you could get it done cheaper? as the majority of the cost i believe is labour.
Agree, de-trimming of everything, sanding to 600 will save a lot of time. Also if you do the post re-spray sanding and cutting/polishing that will help too.
I was going to say if you mask it too that would help but they will want to do that on-site where it is clean.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you shop around you should find someone who could do a good job for less than £1k. I use a shop near stratford who has painted 4 cars for me. His main job is preping cars for garage forcourts but it depends on the car and what you want? do you need a full respray?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Pity you are not in the Southwest as there is a guy down here that sprayed my metallic blue vectra he did the bonnet and both of the front and tops of the wings and matched it up so well you could not see where the old paint joined the new paint!..... not even under a street light! I did not belive it was possible TBH as I have seen many cars with bits sprayed before and you can always tell ifya look close or from a angle so i did not expect such a good job on a large paint area and a 2002 car.... Paint Pallet Auto Bodies they are called, if I cant find a good bonnet/boot/rear door in nero gray I will have to take my car to him as some **** sprayed it with cans and rubbed the paint down with 10grit before spraying it! ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts