Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After changing the lambda sensor, is there any way to reset the ECU without just disconnecting the battery, to force it to learn more quickly the new values.

I know on the old VW golf digifant ECUs they could be reset by disconnecting the coolant temp sensor with the engine running and reving the engine past 3000rpm three times.

Any ideas.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I'm, not aware of any other method... Althought thinking about it, I didn't see Gerry in TI Auto's disconnecting the battery...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
robinsong said:
How often should the lambda sensor be changed?
Err, bit of a trite answer...but when it needs it. :rolleyes:

You could opt for an average life of 50,000 miles or rely on the ECU error codes to give you a hint of trouble in it's way. MPG is a good indicator as well, but all these are vague.

Good way to test one is to sniff the output volts at idle and blip the throttle. It should react instantly by swinging the output voltage from about 0.5V up to near a volt then settle back quickly. First signs of failure are sluggish response.

HTH

Q

·
0 Posts
No probs with the Lambda so far...but only 50K :(

...what speedy just said (and Dai) has made me smile :)

...it's NOT a foregone conclusion that it's gonna wipe out :cool:

W

·
0 Posts
....and just to redress the balance, my twinny had four before hitting 100k :rolleyes:

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Quinn said:
...it's NOT a foregone conclusion that it's gonna wipe out :cool:
you can guarantee it will fail eventually, when is the only question. Lambda's are designed to last 60k. Any more is a bonus....dunno what Speedy and Dai are doing :confused:

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
and my twinnie has had two before hitting 105k :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lets stop getting quinn worried now!! :lol:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I knew i had a problem because I lost 2mpg or so on my average, I am currently loosing about 60 miles to a tank on what it did previously, and when cold it stutters a bit.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
wrinx said:
you can guarantee it will fail eventually, when is the only question. Lambda's are designed to last 60k. Any more is a bonus....dunno what Speedy and Dai are doing :confused:

wrinx
Driving them lots and not giving the sensors chance to cool down :D :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts