Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, i did the lunch run. S & J wanted to come with me. S sat in the front, J sat in the rear. Quick look behind: 'J, mate, you gonna put that belt on?'

(surprised look) 'what for? I ain't going anywhere if we crash; you not spotted the seat in front of me? Do you want me to lick the window next, too? 'ohh look, i can't be trusted unless i've got my seat belt on'') [which made me laugh :)]

'J', i said, 'the car doesn't move until you put the belt on. It's that, or you walk. Between us, i'm easy either way'.

'FFS, i got this far in life without wearing one in the back' (begrudgingly belts up).

'Mate, you might not like it, or understand it, but the laws of physics don't have special exclusion clauses for rear seat passengers. When it comes to a sudden halt, you're subject to the same forces i am. And that means without your belt on, you could easily kill yourself...or S in front of you'.

And J's a parent :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
42,814 Posts
Been in a similar situation :rolleyes: good to see i'm not on my own for sticking to ya guns etc :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Never had to request someone belts up, but always check everyone is "plugged in" before I will move.

My neighbour is a childminder and everyday after loading her Zafira with other peoples children she will pull away and then reach for her seatbelt :mad:, what sort of example is that setting the kids :rolleyes:

J

·
0 Posts
Today, i did the lunch run. S & J wanted to come with me. S sat in the front, J sat in the rear. Quick look behind: 'J, mate, you gonna put that belt on?'

(surprised look) 'what for? I ain't going anywhere if we crash; you not spotted the seat in front of me? Do you want me to lick the window next, too? 'ohh look, i can't be trusted unless i've got my seat belt on'') [which made me laugh :)]

'J', i said, 'the car doesn't move until you put the belt on. It's that, or you walk. Between us, i'm easy either way'.

'FFS, i got this far in life without wearing one in the back' (begrudgingly belts up).

'Mate, you might not like it, or understand it, but the laws of physics don't have special exclusion clauses for rear seat passengers. When it comes to a sudden halt, you're subject to the same forces i am. And that means without your belt on, you could easily kill yourself...or S in front of you'.

And J's a parent :rolleyes:
change the names and this is a situation i have frequently with one of my friends.

100% with you Scudetto, it's not just their life that goes wrong if an accident happens, my car doesn't move until we are all belted up

In my car it's belt up or walk

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
100% with you Scudetto.

I have been through this a few times. I normally say I am not worried about you, it is me or XX in the passenger seat I am worried about.

·
Registered
424 Posts
:thumbs:

With you mate, it's the person in front that will stop them going through the window!

If they don't like it. it's shanks pony.

·
Super Moderator
44,774 Posts
I honestly can't understand people who won't wear a belt. It's an inconvenience which quickly becomes un-noticeable, and the alternative is a much greater chance of injury or death.

There's 'rebelling', and then there's just plain stupidity. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
There is also tradition bazza. It's a relatively recent phenomenon that seat belt
wearing is totally acceptable. For some of us the standard fitment of seat belts
at all is relatively new concept. And old habits die hard.

·
Registered
16,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is also tradition bazza. It's a relatively recent phenomenon that seat belt
wearing is totally acceptable. For some of us the standard fitment of seat belts
at all is relatively new concept. And old habits die hard.
i agree 100%; it is a machismo thing as much as anything else - yet it shows a baffling denial of simple science. And yet that's the bit i don't get; these are people who totally understand what's needed to get man into space; these are people who totally understand why AIDS is so rampant in Africa; these are the people who'll strap their kids into their buggies...yet while they seem to acknowledge that the front of the car is travelling at 60mph, they reckon everyone in the rear is merely chilling on a static and perfectly safe comfy sofa. :confused:

Mercedes Benz says time and time again 'we can make very safe cars, but there's little we can do for occupants who don't use a seatbelt'; why do these folks reckon they know more than about safety than Mercedes?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
100% in agreement. I don't think people actually do realise what their bodies would weigh when subjected to sudden deceleration forces. No belt, no go!

In Australia, it is the driver who gets penalised if any of the passengers are not wearing a seatbelt. We have points removed from our licences rather than added for infractions.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I used to car share going to work with 2 other lads, when they driving niether of them would belt up! They had to when my turn to drive!
I used to sit in the back and belt up! If they wanna shoot through the windscreen thats up to them!
Also we were driving 40 miles to work so it wasn't just a quick trip!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Good on you, I had to do this several times during my college years and ended up leaving someone behind once.

H

·
0 Posts
I was a rear seat passenger in my mates old Sierra a few years back, it had no rear belts.

He lost control taking a bend too fast, over-corrected and hit a tree almost head on.

I woke up wedged between the two front seats. My arm broken in 3 places. I was very lucky indeed not to go through the windscreen.

Always, always wear a seatbelt if it's there.

·
Super Moderator
22,995 Posts
i was a rear seat passenger in my mates old sierra a few years back, it had no rear belts.

He lost control taking a bend too fast, over-corrected and hit a tree almost head on.

I woke up wedged between the two front seats. My arm broken in 3 places. I was very lucky indeed not to go through the windscreen.

Not much more to be said.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I was a rear seat passenger in my mates old Sierra a few years back, it had no rear belts.

I was tumbled dried in a VW Kombi that rolled on a gravel road a number of years ago as a result of there being no rear seatbelts. Two permanently squashed vertebrae was the result and that could have been a lot worse!!

I don't travel in a car now unless I am able to wear a seatbelt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts