Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the ex neighbours came today in their 5 series BM, after admireing two very clean Alfa's :thumbs: he asked...

.....have you had any problems.....I can't see any rust.....they are notoriously unreliable aren't they? :wow:

.....after a stern lecture :tut:
and without the offer of a drink :(
they left in their very dirty, scratched and dented 07 plate german :rant:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Ask him does he drive like a *****, in the middle lane, never use his indicators, one inch off someone's back bumper in "his" fast lane while selling drugs;)

·
Registered
856 Posts
And there you have one of Alfas' biggest problems, especially here in the UK. Sometimes I wonder if it isn't entirely undeserved, but the truth is that all modern, mass-produced cars are rubbish; it's just that some manufacturers have better marketing and customer service than others.

·
Registered
934 Posts
All modern mass produced cars are in fact many times better than all mas produced cars of 10 years ago ... and so on... the rate of improvement of cars is quite phenominal I reckon. Safer, more economical and more reliable than ever.

Alfa has this reputation of being un-reliable but they have improved massively, it takes time for people to catch up. Skoda are doing it and so are Alfa.

Not all BMW drivers are d1ckheads, these days I find its more likely that an Audi will be badly driven than a BMW. Purely subjective that of course, and yes my wife does have an A5! but she drives it well !

:)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Ask him does he drive like a *****, in the middle lane, never use his indicators, one inch off someone's back bumper in "his" fast lane while selling drugs;)
This would have been the perfect response to his biggoted views :cool:

·
Registered
856 Posts
OK, so I may have been a tad cynical there, but that's how you get after more than two decades in the vehicle service and repair industry. Of course cars are better now, that was not my point; what I was trying to say is that all cars have issues, no matter where they are made and by whom. The difference is how the manufacturer and their dealers deal with those issues. Example: when a customer brings his week-old £25k 159 back to the dealer to complain of poor boot lid/rearlight alignment, you don't say to him "Well, that's how they are. If you are worried about panel fit, you should have bought a BMW".

·
Registered
518 Posts
OK, so I may have been a tad cynical there, but that's how you get after more than two decades in the vehicle service and repair industry. Of course cars are better now, that was not my point; what I was trying to say is that all cars have issues, no matter where they are made and by whom. The difference is how the manufacturer and their dealers deal with those issues.
Not true at all. My Dad had an S class mercedes 320 for 11 years. Nothing went wrong apart from usual consumables. My mum has a toyota avensis, it's 9 years old, same story. Nothing at all on either car broke or was faulty. They had servicing items replaced, and MOT stuff like bulbs sure but nothing else.

I'm just one person with who knows 2 examples of cars that never broke down.

There's also a difference between 'all cars are rubbish' and 'all cars have issues' :lol:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Drives me nuts this, all of my mates rib me about breaking down etc, not one of them has owned (or even driven) an Alfa - I notice a lot of noobs here end their OP with 'oh well it's an Alfa ( A l p h a :tut: ) - tainted by the TopGear viewer type opinions :rolleyes:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Drives me nuts this, all of my mates rib me about breaking down etc, not one of them has owned (or even driven) an Alfa - I notice a lot of noobs here end their OP with 'oh well it's an Alfa ( A l p h a :tut: ) - tainted by the TopGear viewer type opinions :rolleyes:
My friend sold his TS for the same reason, he considered it a 'ticking time bomb'.

They are a mixed bag though to be fair, 2 of my colleagues have owned alfas. My CTO owned a v6 gtv and said it was solid as a rock, if not better than most other cars he's owned.

Another chap at work had a '98 spider TS and said it was in the garage every month. Both were serviced properly at reputable garages.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Yeah, I accept that there will be 'bad uns' with every marque, but Alfa seem singled out, folk even say 'look at all the threads in the tech lounges' as justification...

Hence we get the odd 'all is well' type threads to add some kind of balance :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yeah, I accept that there will be 'bad uns' with every marque, but Alfa seem singled out, folk even say 'look at all the threads in the tech lounges' as justification...

Hence we get the odd 'all is well' type threads to add some kind of balance :)
Of course, I agree totally :) It's an old stigma it's never managed to shake off, it seems.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
keep copies of the 2011 JD Power report in your glove box for moments like this
hand them out
then, as they peer down to read it
use a tire iron to smack them repeatedly on the head screaming "will you never learn?"

·
Registered
856 Posts
Erm... by "all cars" I mean all brands/marques/manufacturers, not every single individual car that has ever rolled off a production line. Interesting that Mercedes and Toyota are mentioned, as these two manufacturers have had their fair share of problems in recent years, and yet are not generally regarded as unreliable.

Alfas' bad reputation goes back a long way, and Fiat seem to have put little effort into restoring it. It will take several generations of consistently good models before the "rusty and unreliable" image is finally lost as far as the general public are concerned.

Also, I think owning an Alfa is something of a personal statement (and not anything to do with status/badge snobbery) and this makes some people envious. They don't so much envy the car, as the owners' individuality and confidence to do what they want rather than follow the crowd. Therefore they feel the need to criticize, in order to compensate for their own insecurities.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
This would have been the perfect response to his biggoted views :cool:
t it for tat ;)

However I am worried that Alfas are becoming as common as the German stuff on the roads :eek: The past two days I have seen:

5 x159s
6 x Mitos
5 x Giuilettas
4 x 147s
3 x GTs
5 x 156s

usually I struggle to see another Alfa at all............

1 - 20 of 25 Posts