Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm going to replace the water temp sensor on my 2.4 159. Can anybody point me in the direction of a how to? I've had a search (here & google) and can't find anything relating to this engine for Alfa, Saab, or Vauxhall.

If not, any tips or guidance?

Can I replace it without draining fluid by doing a quick swap? Obviously I still expect to lose some fluid. Any tips on how to minimise this?

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I would expect it to be in the same place as on the 1.9, in the thermostat housing which is on the end of the engine next to the battery, you will probably need a deep socket, not sure what size but about 19 or 21mm.

To do it quickly de pressurise the system by undoing the cap and then tighten it back up to stop the air getting in and so letting the coolant out.
It is quite tight on the 1.9 so the 2.4 will be worse so you might have to take the battery out, remember negative off first and on last.

Why are you changing it.?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the socket to remove the battery or coolant sensor?

Changing because I had fault P0115 relating to the sensor. I also have a rough idle only when the water temp reaches 90degC. ECUscan shows a reading of 83degC whem the dash gauge says 90.

I've tried all the other usual rough idle suspects (except injectors) and as this is a cheap fix I thought I would try it.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
The sensor, its only a guess.
To remove the battery you will need a 13mm socket on an extension, spanners for the terminals, and a phillips screwdriver

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did it today. Took about an hour & I'm a novice! Didn't solve what I wanted it to though! Oh well.

Thanks for your help Jon.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I tried changing my temperature sensor with a new one I ourchaded from eBay, it was a vauxhall/Opel part, but the eBay ad specified Alfa 159 2.4L, and it also looks identical to the original. The temperature sensor is not reporting anything to the dash now and as soon as I switched the car on I got check engine light.

Starting to think I should change it back?

Or wondering what other points of failure there are to the temp senso and dash gauge.
Thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
i re installedthe original temp sensor, and its now reporting to the gauge, and operating what i expect to be normal. even better then when i first took it out

I wouldn't have bothered changing it if it was working this way prior. EML light also went away.

the ebay seller has refunded me after i explained to him what his part was doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts