Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The starter motor on my V6 GTV is struggling to turn the engine over fast enough to start it... so I may need to replace it (the starter motor, that is...).

Has anyone done this themselves... and if so, did you remove it from below or above?

If anyone can list the steps required I’d appreciate it...

The car is a ‘98 GTV with a CF2 engine.

·
Vendor
46,725 Posts
Its a ballache of a job I'm afraid. Easier on a CF2, but I'm sure the rear bank manifold is going to need to come off, and you'd be doing very well if you managed to get that off without getting the subframe off first.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a ballache of a job I'm afraid. Easier on a CF2, but I'm sure the rear bank manifold is going to need to come off, and you'd be doing very well if you managed to get that off without getting the subframe off first.
Thanks... I’ll take a shot at unbolting the rear exhaust manifold first and see how far I can get...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi,

Its a pig of a job to do. Soak all of the manifold to head bolts and down-pipe fixings well before starting the job. Access to the retaining bolts will require various socket extensions. Mine was done with the sub-frame and o/s driveshaft removed - it was still awkward. It had previously had a replacement clutch and whoever did it didn't bother replacing the upper starter retaining bolt and the remaining two were loose. Its impossible to see the upper bolt when replacing and access is hampered with the wiring. You'll need some soothing music and plenty of tea.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I stuck a long socket extension behind the exh man and made small turns to undo wiring in that area once.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts