Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping this my be the source of my knocking so going to replace.
How are they removed? I know theres a 17mm nut to undo under the joint. Does it just need hammering out of the joint and screwing off the rod?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Slacken off the locking nut.. it will be very stiff so may need heat and lube.. remove the nut at the other end.. you wiill need a ball joint splitter and a hammer.. if you are going to bin the old end you can just belt the protruding thread with a hammer.. be careful a splitter is better.. seperate the ball joint.. unscrew the track rod end from the steering arm.. replace with new trackrod end.. position where the old one came off.. get the steering alignment checked..

you will need spanners.. ball joint splitter.. hammer and maybe a blowtorch of some sort..

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slacken off the locking nut.. it will be very stiff so may need heat and lube.. remove the nut at the other end.. you wiill need a ball joint splitter and a hammer.. if you are going to bin the old end you can just belt the protruding thread with a hammer.. be careful a splitter is better.. seperate the ball joint.. unscrew the track rod end from the steering arm.. replace with new trackrod end.. position where the old one came off.. get the steering alignment checked..

you will need spanners.. ball joint splitter.. hammer and maybe a blowtorch of some sort..
Thanks, already had the nut under the ball joint loose.
I will be planning to bin the end as theres play in it. So taking to the hammer would be fine?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Yea should be.. give it a few short sharp taps.. leave the nut on and undone to the end of the thread.. don't break anything.. if it won't come free go buy a 'fork type' ball joint splitter.. they are only a few quid..

·
Registered
82 Posts
I replaced mine this afternoon, along with a wishbone, and inner CV boot. Been in the trade 20 odd years and never used a ball joint splitter yet. Take the nut right off from the track rod end, and give the side of the "eye" where the track rod end thread goes through a good square smack with a hammer, you really shouldn't need to do this more than twice....the track rod end will jump out.

If you try the other method of leaving the nut on a few threads, and then freeing the joint, you'll be left with the nut on a free spinning joint which can cause a few headaches if you don't have air tools as its not easy to hold the joint whilst undoing the nut. If this does happen, use a long lever to put downward pressure on the top of the track rod end while undoing the nut.

Best to slacken the locknut on the other end first while its held in place, use a bit of heat if needed.

Remember, after April, split boots on balljoints and track rod ends will be an MOT failure- fork type ball joint splitters almost always split the boot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts