Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea what I'm likely to get charged for having a thermostat replaced on a 156?

Not very good with mechanical stuff, so won't be doing it myself.

Temp gauge sitting at around 70, lower when driving fast, and only getting up to 90 when stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I can only speak from a 2.4 10v perspective but ... the retail price for a stat is about £86 + VAT and it will be a couple of hours labour to fit + £15 of new coolant ... so you're probably looking for getting on for £200-£300 I'm afraid ...

(oh and with your symptoms the stat is almost certainly clucked ...)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I presume you're based in Scotland ... you should send Smaky a PM and ask if he wants to do it ... apparently he works for beer :thumbs:

·
Registered
119 Posts
i have replaced thermo on the v6 took 20 minutes very easy, did't even have to drain rad i bought the stat in US for $55 US

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
45 min job for someone who knows what they are doing on a TS engine. £25 for the stat plus some coolant. £100 plus vat i would guess.

Learn to use a spanner and save a bundle. I changed all four disks and pads on mine the other day, total cost £85. A dealer charged my Mondeo owning pal £500 to have his done!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I have to admit I'd assumed that it was a JTD he was talking about ... the petrol engine stat's are cheap and easy ... the tractor engine stat's are expensive and a right royal pain in the bum (due to the EGR heat exchanger getting in the way ...)

·
Registered
290 Posts
just changed my stat on my 1.9 JTD and it was a relatively easy job. removed the battery, unclip the pipes, unbolt the old stat and drain the coolant. then bolt the new one on, reconnect the pipes (using new clips) and replace the battery. and refill the coolant
its not too hard at all and only required basic tools.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mine was running at 60 degrees before changing. However heating was still ok in the cabin. Now runs at 75 to 80 going up to 90 in traffic.

The stat was only around £30 from Fiat Parts and Alfa Romeo Parts from Shop4Parts.

Only difficulty I had was instead of the original being held on with 13mm bolts mine were held on with hex bolts. I eventually found something to fit but broke the quarter inch drive adaptor. I ended up having to use an 8th inch ratchet which didn't provide much leverage. Case of bloody knuckles at the end of the day.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Changing the stat on my 156 1.8 TS was actually the first job I'd ever attempted on a car and it was easy. Until that point I hadn't taken a spanner to a car ever. I ordered it from Shop4Parts (plus replacement coolant) and used Gazza's guide to see me through and it took no longer than an hour.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your help. I'm going to have a go myself.

Thinking of trading in anyway so don't wantto spend more than I have to.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
So what year/engine have you got???

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
dont know if this is of any interest to anyone but aldi are doing a box of jubilee clips various sizes for £2.99 ideal for changing your stat boost pipes ect

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I was just going to post the same thing Nelly. I ended up butchering the stupid OEM hose clips so i used jubilee clips. Much better idea really.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2001 1.6 TS. Thinking of trading in for a GT although the wife wants me to buy a spider.

She hasn't driven the 156 since reversing into a wall 4 years ago, so why she thinks she'll be driving the new one I've no idea.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
In which case your stat will be cheap (compared to the 2.4 JTD stat) and easy to install ... go for it :thumbs: ...

... but then if you're trading it in there probably isn't much point as it isn't something that traders check for (generally they just give you the book price)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts