Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at the stage where I need to replace the rack as I reassemble components back in the engine bay (I removed more or less everything whilst the engine and gearbox were out). For removal I separated the rack from the sub-frame first, then dropped the subframe, detached the rack from the steering column in the footwell and removed the rack. Can anyone who has done this advise as to the easiest way to put it back in please? In reverse order as above or mount it to the subframe first and reinstall both at the same time? How tricky is it to align the rack drive with the splined uj on the steering column? I suspect I may also have screwed up on not routing the hydraulic pipes around the bay to the back earlier in the rebuild as most things are back in and I am now looking at two very long pipes one of which is almost completely rigid (though splits into two parts) and am not entirely sure the route it takes above the gearbox. I am regretting not taking more pictures and leaving it so long from removal that my memory isn't up to the challenge (why did I think it would only be a couple of weeks and it would all be back in!). If anyone has any photos of the routing or the general layout above the gearbox I would be very grateful.

·
Registered
433 Posts
When I changed my rack, the engine and gearbox, and hence the subframe were out of the car. When I refitted the rack I fitted the ball joints to the suspension arms and fitted the steering shaft on to the rack to support it.
Once the sub frame was back on I had to refit the steering shaft to get a good secure fit though.

I do not have a picture of the routing of the pipe from rack to cooler, but the pipe runs under the coolant header tank.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
v6coop - you have reminded me of the same drama I had when I was in your position with my engine & box out. I remember being completely bamboozled with the routing of the pipes, I had not marked the pipes or taken pics either.
I currently have my car in a garage with a pit, I can get some photos over the weekend if this helps?

I fitted the rack without the subframe, the same as krisp (Above), I used axle stands etc to support it. My advice is to ensure you make sure the bottom of the steering column is fully engaged into the splined drive of the rack, it took me a few attempts to get this right, it was not engaging fully. The pic attached is how it should look.

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fantastic! Thanks Krisp and Matt for helping me out with this. Having been out in the garage till silly o'clock this morning trying to work it out it was starting to wear me down so your support is really appreciated. I have just remembered having seen Krisp's photo above where this pipe clip goes, i.e. around the rack.

Steering Rack Hose clip.jpg

Any photos would be really appreciated thanks Matt. I also have a number of metal brackets and with hose/pipe clips that I helpfully photographed so as to be able to refit the clips in the right place but now have no idea where the brackets were fitted originally. Schoolboy error. I will post some photo's later if their placement continues to elude me. The steering rack pipe that is causing me the most consternation is the one that doesn't go into this clip ie the one without the cooling loop in front of the radiator.

Thanks Jonathan

Nearside cable clip.jpg

·
Registered
433 Posts
The second rigid pipe which is the flow from the pump goes along the radiator support and connects to the threaded pipe fitting that can be seen at the bottom right hand side of my picture above. The flexible pipe run around underneath the air con pipe and is held in a bracket with the air con pipe.
It was 1 year ago I was doing this so my memory took a bit to get going.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Definitely not the easiest thing to see! I’ve made a couple of videos. Please PM me your email and i’ll send them across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: v6coop

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The second rigid pipe which is the flow from the pump goes along the radiator support and connects to the threaded pipe fitting that can be seen at the bottom right hand side of my picture above. The flexible pipe run around underneath the air con pipe and is held in a bracket with the air con pipe.
It was 1 year ago I was doing this so my memory took a bit to get going.
Thanks Krisp. I have managed to work out the flexible pipe and that is now ready to attach to the rack. I will take another look at your photo and try and work it out but Matt's video may help considerably I suspect. Really appreciate your help on this. Will post up some photo's when it is ready to connect.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely not the easiest thing to see! I’ve made a couple of videos. Please PM me your email and i’ll send them across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Matt PM on its way shortly

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Matt, thanks for the videos, very helpful. I sent you an email response too.

As mentioned I have some brackets with cable clips which I have still not managed to place. Does anyone recognise them and know where they fit please? Thanks.

Exhibit 1

Unknown bracket 1.jpg

Exhibit 2

unknown bracket 2.jpg

Exhibit 3

unknown bracket 3.jpg

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the rack is at least connected to the steering column now and the hydraulic lines are in place (though not in the photo) so thanks for the help @krisp and @Matt GTV. I will take a photo from the other side of the car tomorrow showing the route the hoses take, whilst the sub frame is off. A few tips if anyone is doing this in the future. Before putting the rack in, wind it manually using mole grips or similar from one extreme to the other and position it in the middle of the range. Likewise position the steering wheel at dead ahead. Mine wouldn't lock at this position with the key out so I wrapped some duck tape around the steering wheel and the shroud to keep it in place temporarily. Also release the steering column lock so the steering wheel is free to move up and down and in and out. Wedge something between the underside of the column and the dashboard to give you as much room as possible to get into the footwell but with the column released it enables the universal joint to be both pulled up to align and pushed fully onto the splined input of the rack once pushed through the aperture into the footwell, Support the rack from below on axle stands so as to be as tight as possible up to the bulkhead.
Once the UJ on the column is fully onto the splined drive of the rack rotate the steering wheel to give you the best angle to insert the bolt. Clean off any old thread lock on the bolt and re apply fresh. The bolt only goes in one way and will only go in if the drive to the rack is in the right position. In a 'belt and braces' kind of way the bolt both screws into the universal joint and then a nut is also screwed onto the emerging thread of the bolt. Each has their own torque value as stated in the Alfa Repair Instructions.

IMG_3633.jpg IMG_3631.jpg

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Great news...and some good tips for us all. Your car looks gleaming, are you going for a complete refurb?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great news...and some good tips for us all. Your car looks gleaming, are you going for a complete refurb?
Thanks Matt. I did get rather carried away with it all but I am very pleased with it so far. There is nothing like the prospect of moving house in a few weeks to give that motivation to at least get it to the point where it is sitting on four wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts