Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a replacement for the single speaker in the back of my Spider (the original looks as if it has been destroyed by being rained on) - cannot find anything on ebay - am I going to have to buy an Alfa OE? Be grateful for advice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Turtle4288 - The rear speaker is mounted vertically in the centre of the storage compartment behind the seats - the added complication is that I could probably find the right size, resistence and output but the OE one has twin inputs from the head unit which I presume are what would normally feed two rear speakers rather than just the one which is fitted. If you have any ideas, I would be grateful, Chris.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
If budget isn't a huge consideration, you could get a mono amplifier with speaker level inputs, connect it to the battery ( dead easy - it's right there! ) and stick in a proper subwoofer of a similar size.

You probably wouldn't even need to connect the head unit to switch the amp on if you choose an amp that detects the signal coming through the speaker leads.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
If budget isn't a huge consideration, you could get a mono amplifier with speaker level inputs, connect it to the battery ( dead easy - it's right there! ) and stick in a proper subwoofer of a similar size.

You probably wouldn't even need to connect the head unit to switch the amp on if you choose an amp that detects the signal coming through the speaker leads.
Has to be on my list of things to do.

·
Registered
708 Posts
th_IMG_0334.jpg

Mine was knackered also made a sub box from mdf sealed it fitted 2 8inch subs and the amp in the box
Cables all tucked inside on pull apart connecters to allow me to pull straight up and remove box in a couple of mins
Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've just ordered an 8in alpine for the back. Been meaning to do it for ages. I'll use a mono amp setup and replace fronts with 13cm alpines and adapters. I'll let u know how it goes!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Right, all done now. Dramatic improvement, mostly due to the rear sub and enclosure. Some real feeling at last. I recommend this. But it was not straight forward.

P

·
0 Posts
I have a standard speaker set from an 03 spider for sale if anyone wants them. Sub, mids and tweeters.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK, some pics coming up. I wanted to leave the original external appearance. So this is an 8in sub mounted in a 10 litre sealed enclosure which drops in through the top opening and slides into the space in front of the battery. Inevitable some storage space is lost. I have connected the existing stereo speaker level inputs to an amp with low pass filter and bridged output. I also changed the front speakers to 5in rounds with adapters, tweeters and crossovers. The rear setup is the most dramatic improvement. Initially I did try mounting the sub in the cubby without an enclosure but of course the sound was pants.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Broadbean, looking to do the same with an 8" sub and enclosure. Looked inside for measurements and wanted to check, did you not have a brass coloured plate on the front floor of the cubby? If so, does your box just sit on top of it?

Thanks

john

·
Registered
464 Posts
Broadbean, looking to do the same with an 8" sub and enclosure. Looked inside for measurements and wanted to check, did you not have a brass coloured plate on the front floor of the cubby? If so, does your box just sit on top of it?

Thanks

john

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, I removed that. It's a protective cover for the airbag unit I think. New enclosure sits just clear of it and acts as a replacement cover. It's a bit of a jigsaw puzzle getting it all in.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts