Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need new disks and pads on the front of my gt. On other makes of car and with a trusty haynes manual, this is a job I would usually tackle myself. I can't find a manuall for the gt so dont want to find that I need a special tool or something half way through the job..

Has anyone ever changed the front disks and pads and is it straight forward?

Cheers in advance.

·
0 Posts
Hi all,

I need new disks and pads on the front of my gt. On other makes of car and with a trusty haynes manual, this is a job I would usually tackle myself. I can't find a manuall for the gt so dont want to find that I need a special tool or something half way through the job..

Has anyone ever changed the front disks and pads and is it straight forward?

Cheers in advance.
if you can get them off you can get them on is my advice, plus i think haynes completely bypassed alfa for some reason...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm asuming that the brakes on the GT aren't to different from a 147 it relatively simple two big bolts at the rear (17mm I think) to hold the caliper on, and a small torque screw (T25 i think can't remember off the top of my head) to hold the dics in place, not to different from other cars.(unless you have a V6 they are slightly different)

You will need to compress the piston, being carefull not to rip the rubber seal around it to make room for the new pads and would be a good idea to take the lid off the brake fluid resiviour or wrap a rag around it as it may overflow when compressing the pistion oh and some copper grease on the rear if the new pads to help stop any squeeling.

It was a little over a year ago since I done mine so the sizes I have stated might not be accurate but any decent socket and torque set will have what you need.

If there is anything I have missed i'm sure others will be able to fill in any blanks.

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
Check out the "how-to" on my website (Link below in signature) ... shows front and rear discs and pads.

You will need a 7mm hex socket or key, as well as sockets/spanners, but the guide lists them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
you push the fronts and wined the rears best to get the correct tool for the rears its relatively cheap
A normal G-cramp or quick clamp will do it. If you have one, no need for a special tool.

Jerry

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
You have to push in and turn at the rear, so a g-clamp is only half the story. I tried the cheap Draper piston wind-in block that you put on a socket and this was a partial success .. the pins didn't locate properly. One side went back easily, but the other was much harder to turn. You can buy a piston wind-in tool from halfords for about £12 which is much better.

Otherwise, if you are careful, you might get the piston to rotate with pipe pliers or something that locates in the piston cutouts. What you want to avoid is scratching the piston surface or tearing the seals.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Otherwise, if you are careful, you might get the piston to rotate with pipe pliers or something that locates in the piston cutouts. What you want to avoid is scratching the piston surface or tearing the seals.

Exactly what I did when I found myself on Sunday afternoon with both back discs off and scratching my head as to how to get the pistons back.

It was a visit here informed me that the pistons had to turn at the same time as pushing. :thumbs:

With a quick clamp and turning the piston using the slots in the end it went in as easy as pie. :)

Jerry

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have to replace the pads on the 156 tomorrow. Off to get the piston retractor tonight so that shouldn't be a problem.

One of the calipers is stuck on though? Will that just need freeing off and cleaning up or does that indicate another fault?

·
0 Posts
Probably a build up of crud - bit of 'persuasion' should help once bolts are undone

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cheers Jon...

Looking for the caliper rewind tool. Seems it's gone up at Halfords to £20.99 since 2003...but what is the Left rewind tool that is £30...Don't tell me you need one for each side??

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
Pipe spanner is better ... but you still need to take care not to scratch the piston surfaces ... which is why the proper retractor is still the #1 option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts