Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Due to a faulty fuel pump gauge/resistor (my petrol gauge is stuck on empty) I have attempted to change the pump and enclosure. I've managed to get to the unit just fine but I am having some issues removing it. The unit is unscrewed and I can begin to lift it out but I have hit a few issues:

1) The Unit appears to be full of petrol. Is this correct? When I lift the unit out almost to the top of the plastic cylinder there is petrol in there. This seems strange as there are all sorts of wires with exposed connections within and completely covered by the petrol. Surely this can't be right (although, as the unit is not sealed, it seems inevitable the it would fill with petrol

2) Related to above, as the unit is full of petrol, am struggling to see how I can completely remove it from the tank without spilling a huge amount of petrol into the car.

I suppose the main concern is 1). Even when I get the unit out, am afraid the the new unit will simply fill with fuel and the whole thing will go bang when I start it up. I realise that I might be slightly out of my depth here, but I like trying to fix things and learn for myself...

I followed the following instructions:

"Remove rear seat, two nuts on the lower part withdraw seat in a foreward direction, two bolts on the upper part lift upward and withdraw foreward, remove sound proofing at the back.

In front of you, you have a metal cover fastened by three nuts, remove the cover, underneath you have connector and hoses to the fuel pump disconnect them, unscrew the "big plastic ring" which holds the pump in the tank, withdraw fuel pump from tank.

Assembeling in reverse order."

I would be very grateful if someone could provide advice around this subject.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi There,

Let me answer best I can based on my recent experience.

What do you mean by the fuel pump enclosure? I changed my fuel pump a few weeks ago and did indeed run into some of the same issues. I waited until my tank was not full of fuel to minimize any spillage but it will be inevitable so best to have rags over your carpet to avoid them soaking up petrol and giving off the smell for weeks – believe me I know.

Before you do anything, disconnect the battery by removing the negative lead from the battery. Remove the fuel pump fuse too.

The unit once lifted out will of course leak petrol, just make sure to let it drain out completely before moving it out of the car. The unit and all the wiring are indeed submerged in petrol.

“I followed the following instructions:

"Remove rear seat, two nuts on the lower part withdraw seat in a foreward direction, two bolts on the upper part lift upward and withdraw foreward, remove sound proofing at the back.

In front of you, you have a metal cover fastened by three nuts, remove the cover, underneath you have connector and hoses to the fuel pump disconnect them, unscrew the "big plastic ring" which holds the pump in the tank, withdraw fuel pump from tank.

Assembeling in reverse order."

The above is all correct. Is your new unit a direct replacement (Bosch unit)? I used a replacement and had to make a few modifications to the brackets (minor bending) to ensure the pump is completely secure and to put everything back. I also had to splice a few wires to use the existing connectors. Just be sure you are thorough and everything is firmly in place as you don’t want wires crossing or things coming undone during a hard drive.

I am no mechanical expert and if I could do it anyone can. Be sure that the big plastic ring is put back tight over the seal or you will spill gasoline once you top off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts