Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed one has the front glass broken and the other is badly tarnished, so was thinking of replacing.
Is it a relatively easy job or should I leave it to the garage (they will be having the car soon anyway for some other work)?
Thanks

·
Registered
576 Posts
Noticed one has the front glass broken and the other is badly tarnished, so was thinking of replacing.
Is it a relatively easy job or should I leave it to the garage (they will be having the car soon anyway for some other work)?
Thanks
I did mine last year for the same reason. One was smashed and both were yellow. Pretty simple job, the chrome outer / black surround has a few clips behind it (a couple of screw drivers did the trick to make a gap big enough to get it out). Once it's out unscrew the bolt and pull out the fitting.

First side took me about 45 mins, 2nd about 10.

Good luck

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks again. just ordered my spot lights from eBay. What's the worse that can happen, hey ;-)
If you're a little diy savvy you should be fine. I took the opportunity to give the surround a bloody good clean when it was off. The new fog lights look so much better!

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you're a little diy savvy you should be fine. I took the opportunity to give the surround a bloody good clean when it was off. The new fog lights look so much better!
I finally got round to replacing the fogs on my 159 today after reading your post yesterday. Turned out to be a lot simpler than I thought it could be. Removing the trim was easy, I used a butter knife to get between the fog trim and the grill section and gently eased it out, once the two side clips are free the rest pops out.
Maybe use a strip of masking tape to protect the bumper where it meets the trim on the bottom edge as there's not a lot of clearance and I managed to scratch the paintwork a bit, nothing drastic but when the trim comes out it'll drag small bits of crud with it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As a way of update, I replaced both fog lights yesterday.
My experience was similar to the majority who commented - it was a really easy job, however there are a couple of aspects which are worth mentioning.
Upon removing the plastic panel surrounding the actual fog light, there is a danger of snapping one of the clips. This is exactly what happened to me. One pf my clips had nested awkwardly in the square hole and despite being very careful, it eventually snapped inside. In hindsight I don't think I could have prevented it as upon closer inspection, it looked like it was stuck anyway, but it's worth noting.

The other aspect is the actual connector cap which is sold with the replacement fog light enclosure. This is of very poor quality (the two metal connectors are very thin and they bend easily, so the connection to the power cable can be dodgy. I elected to use the old cap, as it was still in good condition and it is much better built.

Upon completing the job, the look of the car is so much better - the new lights make for a fresh and sharp look and I am really pleased with the result.

·
Registered
127 Posts
As a way of update, I replaced both fog lights yesterday.
My experience was similar to the majority who commented - it was a really easy job, however there are a couple of aspects which are worth mentioning.
Upon removing the plastic panel surrounding the actual fog light, there is a danger of snapping one of the clips. This is exactly what happened to me. One pf my clips had nested awkwardly in the square hole and despite being very careful, it eventually snapped inside. In hindsight I don't think I could have prevented it as upon closer inspection, it looked like it was stuck anyway, but it's worth noting.

The other aspect is the actual connector cap which is sold with the replacement fog light enclosure. This is of very poor quality (the two metal connectors are very thin and they bend easily, so the connection to the power cable can be dodgy. I elected to use the old cap, as it was still in good condition and it is much better built.

Upon completing the job, the look of the car is so much better - the new lights make for a fresh and sharp look and I am really pleased with the result.
There ya go. Did one of mine last weekend. Was a piece of cake, 10 minute job without taking front bumper off like my official AR dealer told me :nuts:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts