Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wings of the drivers seat base in my car are disintegrating, I can feel the support wires through the leather.

Anyone removed the leather to repaired/replaced the foam? Or got an idea what a professional might charge for the job?

I'd line to DIY it, but I have no idea where to start!

Any advice or guidance appreciated.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Know a bloke in the midlands who is FANTASTIC (I know it is a distance for you but I would urge you to contact him and see how quickly he would be able to do it - should be done within a day I reckon!). I don't know how much he would charge but I don't think he is unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination!!!

LINKY - DAVE TEDSTONE AUTORETRIM.CO.UK - Home

Seriously nice guy. He sponsors the ST owners club I think. Talented chap.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll look closer to home first, but I wouldn't mind a day trip to someone with a known good reputation, cheers for that.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Generally pretty straight forward - did it recently on another alfa (not 156). Take out the seat and you'll probably see how the upholstery is held on. (You might also need to remove the backrest). Unclip it or whatever and you should be able to lift off the cover, replace the foam, and refit.

I guess if you've got electric seats or heated seats or side airbags then there are going to be extra complications.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input all. I have a GTA and it is impossible to find a drivers seat without collapsed bolsters. And it is electric backrest adjustment, and heated too with airbags in the side. I'm thinking a pro job now.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Even if you got another interior there's a good chance it too would be 8 years only and have the same problems.
The only way to go is to get the foam replaced.

Might be pricey though. Still it would look and feel fab!

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Just to give a rough idea on price, in 2004 I paid £60 to have a new seat back cover (for want of a better word) fitted, which included repairing the foam on one side. Probably £100-ish now?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to give a rough idea on price, in 2004 I paid £60 to have a new seat back cover (for want of a better word) fitted, which included repairing the foam on one side. Probably £100-ish now?
Can I ask who you used to do the work?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts