Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
147 Ducati Corse 1.9 jtdm

I've been having problems with vibration under acceleration for a while now. Had the spider joints in both driveshafts changed but it's not much better.

I'm considering changing both entire driveshafts to at least rule that out as the source. I found these on ebay:

I'm trying to figure out if changing them is something that I would be able to do myself. Could anyone tell me roughly what the steps are?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
J&R shafts are well known. Not as good as genuine Alfa, but a good value option as I understand it.

I did mine last year. Procedure is basically shown here, on Neil's lower wishbone vid:

Just leave the lower wishbone bolted to the subframe, but the hub-nut, lower balljoint, and shock fork lower bolt all undone and free, with the shaft knocked back through the hub. Once you're at that point, you can pop the shaft out from the diff housing with a pry bar and retrieve your prize.

Drivers side has 3 extra bolts holding the mid shaft hanger bearing that need to be removed, you'll see it when you get under the car.

Put everything back together with new hub nuts, torque it all back to spec (hub nut is a funny one, it's torque to spec then additional degrees of rotation), peen over the collar on the hub nut into the shaft slots so it can't come undone, drop the car down level and then top up the gearbox oil because you've probably lost about a litre if the car was on jack-stands.

Might be worth having a new set of diff. seals on hand too incase yours are worn out or mangled by your prying. I didn't need to replace mine in the end, but happy I had them in case I did.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Oh and if you're doing it with hand tools/breaker bar instead of an impact gun, stick some wheel bolts back in after removing the wheel, and slip a big screwdriver through your brake caliper into the brake disc cooling vanes. This locks the whole hub assembly and stops it rotating, so you can actually get the hub nut undone with a breaker bar when it's up in the air.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
If you only fitted new CV tripods, it may well be that the cups were worn. They're the expensive bit, unfortunately. I was unsure about JR quality, since reviews are variable. I managed to get a new SKF shaft from Mister Auto for £118. The long shaft is about £150, from memory..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you only fitted new CV tripods, it may well be that the cups were worn. They're the expensive bit, unfortunately. I was unsure about JR quality, since reviews are variable. I managed to get a new SKF shaft from Mister Auto for £118. The long shaft is about £150, from memory..
I have been concerned about the quality of J&R - especially since my car has been remapped. I wasn't sure which manufacturers offered the best quality for money though. Are SKF one of the better ones in that regard?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts