Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I've done this on other cars ok, just looking for any special tips/advice for the GTV.

The workshop manual makes a big thing about not getting air in the ABS pump or it's screwed, I'm guessing that a new one would come pre filled with fluid, although how you would connect it and bleed the system without getting air in there is beyond me.

Anyway, is it best to bleed each wheel with the engine running or not?

Would you risk emptying/cleaning the reservoir first or just start pouring in the new fluid?

Once it's done I guess it's bleed the clutch, never had to do that before (always had cables) any tips/advice on that?

I do have a mity vac suction kit by the way,

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Bleed it exactly as you should be bleeding any other car.
That doesn't involve emptying/cleaning the reservoir...

Bleed each caliper in turn making sure the reservoir is kept topped up.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Yes.. the beast has to be easy to bleed or it would take 2 years to make each car on the production line. Start with the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder and work to the one that's nearest.

Clutch is the same.. but you may have a smaller nipple.. just annoying as your rubber pipe to catch the old fluid will keep falling off.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I empty the reservoir of old fluid, fill with new fluid and then start the bleed process. I use easybleed which pressurises the whole brake system - very easy and good results without too much effort.

I've never had the engine running when doing the brakes

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
I have tried an easybleed, actually two, one years ago with my Sud and another recently on my Cinq. I have never been able to get them to seal on the reservoir properly. So they get thrown to the back of the shed I just bleed normally.
I do usually remove some of the old fluid from the reservoir, but I was a bit concerned when the op said "emptying/cleaning".

As it is a four channel ABS system, the order you bleed them doesn't matter. But probably best to stick to the old order for everything so that you get it right when you come to do a car that doesn't have ABS.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I have tried an easybleed, actually two, one years ago with my Sud and another recently on my Cinq. I have never been able to get them to seal on the reservoir properly. So they get thrown to the back of the shed I just bleed normally.
I do usually remove some of the old fluid from the reservoir, but I was a bit concerned when the op said "emptying/cleaning".

As it is a four channel ABS system, the order you bleed them doesn't matter. But probably best to stick to the old order for everything so that you get it right when you come to do a car that doesn't have ABS.
I have a large jubilee clip around the Easybleed cap that goes on the reservoir - I thought maybe it was just me that had the wrong size or seal fitted :p

Works perfect without any leaks :D

W

·
0 Posts
The manual states to bleed in the order: Front left, Front right, Rear left, Rear right. Except in the case of air in the 'control cylinder' (master cylinder?) when the order is reversed but then finished as before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts