Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, been told by garage who has just done timing (phew done at last !!) that my rear discs and pads are worn, also front pads. Intend doing lot together next month, anyway seen plenty of useful threads on here re both.
As for buying parts looking to use ebspares, not sure what make would be but sure they would be OK (£48 for discs axle pair and £21 for pads axle set), will check brakeparts.co.uk for price as well but ebspares price seems v.ok, and £48 for front pads axle set.
As for doing looks OK, expect lots of swearing trying to get seized bolts out etc:mad:, only not sure of is winding in rear calipers can't see any mention of that on the DTE, can it be done OK with regular sockets/spanners or will I need a special tool !!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also forgot to ask anyone bought pads/discs of Ebay, always looking for best prices but I am just a bit wary of buying stuff like this off Ebay, what with copies/counterfits parts etc

D

·
0 Posts
MickT
You could try here Car Parts and Car Accessories - Buy Parts By.
Theres a few folk on the gtv/156 section who have used them with no probs and they have supplied new wishies for my dads brava but not fitted them yet.

As for the wind back of pistons - I just bought the tool from halfords tho you can get it a bit cheaper on-line. There are lots of posts with people using various home made solutions but if you aint to sure better safe than sorry ie ripping seals etc

·
Registered
741 Posts
go with ebspares OR solid references from here.We all have > 1500 Kg to stop.
Think tool is needed for the rears. Fitted front pads and disks myself, took my rear pads to cheap garage and got them fitted for £15 on a cold and rainy day. Result :D

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
you can wind back the rears using pliars etc but it's a bugger and if they are at all sticky then you'll really struggle. Best to get the wind back tool! Apart from that, rears are pretty easy....fronts even easier.

I've used buypartsby and they are fine - decent OE quality parts (can't remember brand though).

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
postage will be alot, they weigh a ton, maybe cheaper to buy from a local motor factor

if you have swear pot it will be cheaper to buy the wind back tool

other than that, straight forward

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers for the comments, now got disks and pads from EBspares to fit, sorry to sound like a complete novice but at what point do I use the wind back tool, I will be replacing the discs, so thought process would be remove pads, then calipers, then disc refit would be reverse with fitting new disc, then caliper then pads. So would I use the wind back tool before refitting calipers, fit calipers then pads. Would I then have to adjust anything or wind them back in.
This might all be obvious when I start doing the job, but I like to have an idea usually before I start these things, I am getting too old for panic attacks :cheese:

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Man you stupid or something.....................dont even know how to change pads..........................................only winding you up :p

:cheese:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well at last got this done, been waiting for a warm enough day !!, anyway bought wind in tool and back brakes were a doodle :) got then both done discs and pads in just over an hour the wind in tool certainly made it easy. Then feeling pleased with myself started on front pads, man getting those pads out was a pain ! especially the inside one, must have took me over an hour to get one pad out :( but eventually got them all done 3 hours later roll on next job ...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well at last got this done, been waiting for a warm enough day !!, anyway bought wind in tool and back brakes were a doodle :) got then both done discs and pads in just over an hour the wind in tool certainly made it easy. Then feeling pleased with myself started on front pads, man getting those pads out was a pain ! especially the inside one, must have took me over an hour to get one pad out :( but eventually got them all done 3 hours later roll on next job ...

Check fronts to make sure pads have room to slide, towards and away from the disk. If the pads are a ***** to get out then new ones might bind once fitted. This can lead to juddering and overheating. File down pads to ensure they can wiggle a little.

Not sure if the big Alfas use same sort of Brembo calipers as soon on other cars, but "plate lift" is an issue, where stainless steel plate is lifted by corrosion in the alloy caliper body. Good info from Piston Head car nut "Jackals"

·
Registered
92 Posts
you can wind back the rears using pliars etc but it's a bugger and if they are at all sticky then you'll really struggle. Best to get the wind back tool! Apart from that, rears are pretty easy....fronts even easier.

I've used buypartsby and they are fine - decent OE quality parts (can't remember brand though).
what is the actual name for the wind back tool:)as i have not got a clue.about this.thanks

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Useful info about calipers, the pads went in OK with a little tap they were tight but so far they seem OK. The tool I bought was off ebay called a laser brake wind back tool

1 - 20 of 20 Posts