Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

How easy is it to route a new cable through?

My bonnet got stuck a couple of weeks ago so I finally gave up the ghost on Saturday and cut through the heart grille - nearly choked doing it :vomit:

The cable had snapped right at the bonnet end, behind the brass bullet thingy.

I can get my hands on a second hand cable for the same model car (I work for a metal recycling company) but TBH a new one is only £20, which seems reasonable for the peace of mind of it being brand new.

My only worry about fitting it myself is something snagging whilst I try to pull it through, so I wondered if any of you helpful people have any tips for me before I get stuck in? :thumbs:

Thanks

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I'm sure I've read in here that the routing of the cable is very difficult. The suggestion is to remove the old inner cable leaving the old sleeve in place, then push the new inner cable through the old outer sleeve from the handle end.

There's a barrel at the handle end and a nipple at the bonnet catch end, go to a pushbike shop buy a length of suitable cable and the ends, put a dab of solder on the end you're feeding through so it's nice and smooth. Oil the cable as you're pushing it through.

Good luck

Pub

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks pubsinger. I'm wondering if, as the break is at the very end at the bonnet catch it might be better to try fixing a new barrel bolt? Rather than rerouting an entire cable?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I snapped the cable on my bonnet catch, it is quite easy to do as it is of poor design and susceptible to corrosion. I simply removed the inner and replaced it with a cable inner. I believe it was a 1.5mm x 1x19 cable. You will need around 4 meters of it, it's longer than you think. I put generic cable ends on see link below. If you wipe the cable with an oily rag before you push it through it will glide in easily. Once it is assembled, be sure to grease it well to keep corrosion at bay!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Galva...rial_Nails_Fixing_MJ&var=&hash=item1c353a74e3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-M...pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2c72f30b7f

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's fab recyclotron thanks. I'll give the cable width a measure tonight and hopefully crack on. I agree that leaving the cable housing in-situ would seem to make more sense to me.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success! Fitted a brand new cable today! On reflection, I would advise anyone to buy a brand new one and fit that as it's so easy. The only tricky bit was getting the cable through the engine bay wall to the drivers footwell - until I realised it was a rubber grommet and not plastic - and so could simply be forced through.

Anyway, once through it was a doddle to reattach to the lever and screw back on.

I'm thinking of taking some pictures and doing a proper write up on how I did it, in the hope of helping someone else as confuddled as I was this time yesterday.

The new cable was £20. Secondhand heart grille £20 so a full fix for £40, which makes me I think I got off very lightly considering this time last week I had a bonnet that would not open.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
You can do it without breaking the grill. But to be honest it's that much of a faff it's easier to break it and then replace.

Like you making sure it goes through the grommet was more of an issue. I got a complete second hand cable as I couldn't be arsed to find an inner etc.
Just re routed it differently to Alfa.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can do it without breaking the grill. But to be honest it's that much of a faff it's easier to break it and then replace.

Like you making sure it goes through the grommet was more of an issue. I got a complete second hand cable as I couldn't be arsed to find an inner etc.
Just re routed it differently to Alfa.
Scotty, it took me at least an hour of head scratching wondering how on earth I was going to get a cable through a hole the size I could see. All I kept telling myself was that in the factory they MUST add the metal collar once it's through?? I even debated trying to remove it. In the end I lost patience and tried to force it by offering it up and then pushing the back edge of the collar with a rag on a screwdriver and it slipped through first time, so I realised it was flippin rubber! I stood there kicking myself :lol:

Still, it was all a lot easier than I expected. You're right about trying to save the grille, I would have preferred too but again, I lost patience and also didn't realise how easy they are to get hold of.

Next jobs...top hat washers & a slightly noisy blower.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts