Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK , so I have finally received my new headunit (Pioneer AVIC-F900BT) and am ready to fit it.

I have read as many of the threads here on the subject as I can and hope I have understood ;)

When I remove the original Radio/CD Blaupunkt939 unit , it will cause a CANBUS error.
What I want to know is how 'bad' is this error ?
If I understand correctly the only side effect is that the odometer part of the display flashes ?
Does it flash all the time or just for a few seconds each startup ?
Are there any other side effects ?

I can pay AR to relocate and re-harness the car for the Pioneer for 400euros , is this worth bothering with or will it be 400euros to just stop the odometer flashing ?

Thanks

Tim

N

·
0 Posts
Proxy Error on the CANBus= continually flashing odometer.
(On the 147 I think it used to not register any mileage at all on either counter.)

I don't think not having the radio fitted will cause a CANBus error.
I think it's your B&M that'll be the issue.

I still think that after you've fitted the new HU and nixed the B&M
they should in theory be able to run this "proxy alignment" step and clear the error.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Nev , first as always to reply :)

Yep , I think Blue&ME will be what trips off the CANBus error but then having seen threads where window lifter switches also trip the damn thing off , anything is possible.

I spoke to an Afla dealer in the UK , and there they reposition the original HU behind the glovebox due to this error. I would have thought that if Examiner could reset the CANBus and remove the error they would do it ?

Anyhow , back to the reply. You think that not only will the odometer flash at me (and give me a fit) but it will also stop logging mileage ?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Anyhow , back to the reply. You think that not only will the odometer flash at me (and give me a fit) but it will also stop logging mileage ?
I ran my car without the B&M unit for a few days when I changed the HU. The odometer flashed but it did continue to log the mileage. I asked my local Alfa dealer to fix it but they couldn't; they advised me to reconnect the B&M unit, which eventually I did (the flashing mileage gets very annoying).

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes, there was no problem removing the HU at all, it was only removing B&M that caused the problem. Not sure if you've had a look yet, but you'll find when you remove the HU that it's actually a single DIN unit with a double DIN front. The B&M box is also a single DIN unit below the HU (so it's behind the lower part of the front of the stereo - it'll be obvious once you take a look). If you want to fit a double DIN HU you'll need to move the B&M unit somewhere else whilst keeping it connected.

Note that you'll also need to fit a double DIN cage for the new HU - I believe this requires removing the aluminium fascia of the dashboard. The double DIN cages I've seen for the 159 come with instructions for doing this though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah , the picture broadens :)

So , the HU and B&M units are separate ? All I need to keep is the lower half and relocate it to stop the flashy odometer ? If I was putting a pop-out screen single DIN unit then there is no problem with the original B&M placement ?

What connections are there to the B&M unit then , I assume that if relocating just this part to behind the glovebox (AR normal hiding place) that all I need is extension leads to reconnect it ?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes, you could keep the B&M unit in place and fit a single DIN HU, but you'd need to find a suitable fascia to expose a single DIN slot at the top that doesn't also have a pocket below! You might be able to fabricate something if you're that way inclined.

The B&M unit uses a custom cable/connectors. You can buy a suitable extension cable from Connects2, and I think Pioneer have one too, that also allows you to use the USB socket in the glovebox with your new HU. The Connects2 part used to be called CTBLUEANDMELEAD, but I can't find it on their website any more.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You realise your Pioneer head unit runs the same Windows Mobile OS as Blue&Me right? Only it takes about 40 seconds to start up (a right pain when you're driving off in the morning).

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You realise your Pioneer head unit runs the same Windows Mobile OS as Blue&Me right? Only it takes about 40 seconds to start up (a right pain when you're driving off in the morning).
Newer firmwares on the Pioneer are said to considerably reduce this startup delay. TBH if I need SatNav for the first 40seconds of a trip from my home then I shouldn't be driving :lol:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, you could keep the B&M unit in place and fit a single DIN HU, but you'd need to find a suitable fascia to expose a single DIN slot at the top that doesn't also have a pocket below! You might be able to fabricate something if you're that way inclined.

The B&M unit uses a custom cable/connectors. You can buy a suitable extension cable from Connects2, and I think Pioneer have one too, that also allows you to use the USB socket in the glovebox with your new HU. The Connects2 part used to be called CTBLUEANDMELEAD, but I can't find it on their website any more.
Cool , thanks for the info ip75 , I will phone Connects2 and ask if the cable is still available as that option is a lot cheaper than the 400euros for a dealer to do the same thing :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Newer firmwares on the Pioneer are said to considerably reduce this startup delay. TBH if I need SatNav for the first 40seconds of a trip from my home then I shouldn't be driving :lol:
The whole thing takes 40 seconds - radio, bluetooth, satnav, whatever. If you switch your car off and on again, bang goes another 40 seconds! I'll be quite pleased if they've managed to reduce this, but 40 seconds is about how long my Windows Mobile phone takes to start up too (running a really cut down version), so I am not convinced they can make it much lower!

I have a Kenwood DNX8220BT which takes 20 seconds to start up, and I find that really annoying!

It's a really good head unit apart from that though - good luck with it and I hope it works well for you :thumbs:

N

·
0 Posts
I have a sneeking suspicion that B&M (B only in my case)
gets around the boot-up issues of WinCE by staying on
all the time. The number of times I've heard the hard drive
whirring away (without the key in the ignition) and thought
to myself, "Hmm, no wonder the battery doesn't last much more than 2 years....."

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
44 Posts
That would make sense - Windows mobile likes to be in standby mode rather than be turned off and have to boot up again! Doesn't bode well for the battery though, as you say :s

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
The whole thing takes 40 seconds - radio, bluetooth, satnav, whatever. If you switch your car off and on again, bang goes another 40 seconds! I'll be quite pleased if they've managed to reduce this, but 40 seconds is about how long my Windows Mobile phone takes to start up too (running a really cut down version), so I am not convinced they can make it much lower!

I have a Kenwood DNX8220BT which takes 20 seconds to start up, and I find that really annoying!

It's a really good head unit apart from that though - good luck with it and I hope it works well for you :thumbs:
It's just the Nav that takes that long to start up... Music is almost instantaneous....

Just to be aware, there are new versions coming out, the 710 and 910:
Pioneer Car*Entertainment Navigation - GPS

in addition to new software:
CNSD-100FM - Features - Pioneer Car Accessories - Car*Entertainment

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
Proxy Error on the CANBus= continually flashing odometer.

I still think that after you've fitted the new HU and nixed the B&M
they should in theory be able to run this "proxy alignment" step and clear the error.
The flashing odometer is caused by the bodycomputer detecting or missing devices that should be there according to it's inbuilt device list. This list is programmed into the device during manufacture, according to the specs of your individual car/chassis no., and can only be programmed once. So it cannot be solved by proxy alignment, reprogramming etc.

See also here, for some more info on this:
http://www.fiatforum.com/showpost.php?p=579308&postcount=44

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice update jwq , might be worth waiting on the new 910 for people that are thinking of doing this and hoping it is either better or will drive the 900 prices down. Shame I already bought mine.

On a separate note , after ip75s post I emailed Connects2 to ask about the cable , the email replay was so insulting and abrupt that I wouldn't use that company for free even if it meant having a £700 headunit go to waste. They basically told me to go away and ask a dealer (even though they sell from their site) and when I spoke to 3 dealers , they all said the company was awful to deal with.

N

·
0 Posts
This list is programmed into the device during manufacture, according to the specs of your individual car/chassis no., and can only be programmed once. So it cannot be solved by proxy alignment, reprogramming etc.
Ta for the info. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Been following this and other threads re the AVIC-F900bt, and I am thinking of changing my standard head unit for the F700bt its a bit cheaper and doesn't have the DVD function which im not too fussed about.

I'd like to keep the blue&me functionality has anyone any experience with the CTBLUE.MELEA - Blue&me connector ?

CTBLUE.MELEA - Features - Pioneer Car Accessories - Car*Entertainment

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok , now the lack of description (or anything else) on the Pioneer site is less than helpful but...

That looks like the cable you would need to relocate the B&ME unit from the lower half of the existing OEM headunit to behind the glovebox. The lower blue blue with a black lever on it is exactly the same as the one (and only) plug that plugs into the B&ME unit. The other blue plug looks like a socket to receive the existing car B&ME plug. I have no idea what the USB plug is for , best guess is it would plug into the existing USB socket in the glovebox.

I have no experience of this lead but I have been looking for one to allow me to relocate the B&ME unit so , thanks :)

As for keeping B&ME function when fitting a new headunit , you don't really have a choice. If you disconnect the unit then the CANBus creates an error which flashes the odometer like mad.
Relocating the B&ME unit is the only real solution and will keep B&ME functionality although the F700/F900 will duplicate all of it.
I would be surprised if after fitting either of the Pioneer units you would not also fit a steering wheel control adaptor , which will 'cripple' your ability to control the B&ME unit as well. Also there is no current way to get any aftermarket unit to display to the Alfa dash display (whether you keep B&ME or not) :(

1 - 20 of 38 Posts