Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in fact the bearings are gone. I have asked elsewhere in the forums with no success so I have started a new thread to try get an answer.

To replace bearings it would really need to be taken out, so how easy (not at all I assume) is it to get out of the JTS engine. I assume it's the same as the 2.0l ts engine. Any chance the engine can remain where it is and with taking drivers side wheel and undertray off along with mud guard it can be taken out that side?

Checked my mechanical cd from eBay and they dont cover the top. :(

Any experience on if it is just better to replace or not while the job is being done. Car has done 56k miles.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, in fact the bearings are gone. I have asked elsewhere in the forums with no success so I have started a new thread to try get an answer.

To replace bearings it would really need to be taken out, so how easy (not at all I assume) is it to get out of the JTS engine. I assume it's the same as the 2.0l ts engine. Any chance the engine can remain where it is and with taking drivers side wheel and undertray off along with mud guard it can be taken out that side?

Checked my mechanical cd from eBay and they dont cover the top. :(

Any experience on if it is just better to replace or not while the job is being done. Car has done 56k miles.
I dunno if its the same but im in the same boat with our 147. From the eLearn cd it says remove drivers wheel and inner panels etc and you can do it with engine in place.

Instead of fart arsing about with bearings etc im just gonna throw a replacement one in.

It does show you how to dismantle and replace worn parts on the eLearn cd too.

From home screen on mine you select
Precedures
>electrical equipment
>>Current generator
>>>Alternator and components

Sorry i cant help more :confused:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You will need to move the exhaust front pipe out of the way and remove the o/s driveshaft.

With a workshop and ramp, you'll still need a couple of hours. More if your on your back.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have a pit to work in, but its not made for my height so quite awkward to work in. I think i'll leave it to a mechanic to do. Might try and source alternator myself. Next question is, anyone have the part number for alternator for JTS (again I assume same for TS models)?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K, another question to try get this thing sorted, any idea how you determine which alternator you have without getting back in under the car? Marelli or Bosch.

Visually i think there is a small difference but which ones went on what cars?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 156 JTS one, but the one thing missing is the alternator removal. To be honest, i reckon I could manage the removal alright, just wondering is it known which cars have Magneti Marelli alternators and which ones have Bosch alternators?

Cant find the answer anywhere...as yet.

D

·
0 Posts
Suppose the only way you will know is to take it out. There's a place in Cork that rewinds alts. As I need mine rewound for the stereo. So I think they should be able to get your reconned if you like. I'm waiting on a buddy to come back to me.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Appreciated, not too sure if I have time myself though, could well be sent to mechanic. Need to pop under the car at some stage to try find out which make it is. Strange no1 knows (as yet anyways) which cars had which alternators considering they arent interchangeable. I would have though diesels have ones and petrols have one... maybe

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never did manage to find out what make alternator goes with which car.

Instead I have ordered a new one which is unbranded (not off eBay). Next up is fitting it, dont have time lately to even attempt it myslef so I'll lend out to mechanic to perform the operation. As a guess, should it take about 3 hours or so? Does it definately come out from the bottom, i assume so and that the engine can remain in place.

·
Registered
139 Posts
definitely comes out from the bottom, So much above it.

Do the 156 2l ts and 147 2l ts definitely have different alternators? Might be a couple brands over years but I was told they will both be the same so I could be up the creek if Monza Motorsport were wrong.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bit of a ***** i heard alright. Take belt off, about 4 bolts, dunno if exhaust must be un-done down below and electrical connections. Any other surprises awaiting the mechanic that might save me a couple of hours labour?

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
I have a pit to work in, but its not made for my height so quite awkward to work in. I think i'll leave it to a mechanic to do. Might try and source alternator myself. Next question is, anyone have the part number for alternator for JTS (again I assume same for TS models)?
2.0 JTS Alternator, 46782219, made by Marreli. But all the internals are orderable through Alfa to recon it yourself. http://77.251.11.230:7080/navi?COUNTRY=012&CLICHE=1&GRP_COD=553&SBMK=R&DRIVE=S&SGS_COD=10&PART=1&MAKE=R&PART_COD=46782219&COMM_MODEL=156&CAT_COD=X1&MOD_COD=116&SGRP_COD=1&PART_SEQ=A&ALL_FIG=0&LANGUAGE=3&PREVIOUS_KEY=PARTDRAWDATA&ALL_LIST_PART=0&SB_CODE=-1&KEY=COMPLEXPARTDRAWDATA&PRINT_MODE=0&EPER_CAT=SP&WINDOW_ID=0&GUI_LANG=3

I know it was the tensioner but the info may be of interest to someone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts