Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing Alfa 159 1.9 JTDM "Oil Cooler Heat Exchanger" with normal Oil Radiator.

Hello again,

I'm here with another problem that needs to be solved in my case. On April/2019 I had a problem, engine oil mixed with engine coolant, because of the "Oil Cooler Heat Exchanger" on my 1.9 JTDM had a leakage between "oil and water" . It costed me lots of money. I could not find original Alfa PArt, I had to use original GM Opel 2.0 CDTI "Heat Exchanger". And now last month again it started to leak again. Now I've bought cheap ass chinese 2.0 CDTI heat exchanger for the time. But I want to replace all the stuff with normal oil cooler radiator. As you may know I have a CNC, And measured the "Heat Exchanger" and draw it in CAD. I can put separate oil cooler radiator on front of the car. But I have some questions.

"HE" = Heat Exchanger

1) What is the real purpose of the Water Cooled - Oil Cooler?

Is it because it is always heat exchanging with the water, and oil temps never can go down lower than coolant temp? Some of my friend told me that Water keeps the oil temp high to maintain the operation temperatures of oil. And they told me if I use only a radiator in front of the car. Oil temps may be too low. So I want to hear from you what do you think ?

2) "HE" keeps the oil pressure drop low.

If I use a radiator in front, maybe hoses and radiator will cause pressure drops and it will damage the car... What do you think about that ?

3) Should I use thermostatic Oil Radiator Feed ?

Do you ever know such a thing? Do you think I can fit it in to my car? do you know any design about it ?

Please Help me, I want to finish the upgrade as fast as possible before any failure on this cheap "HE"

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Hello again,

I'm here with another problem that needs to be solved in my case. On April/2019 I had a problem, engine oil mixed with engine coolant, because of the "Oil Cooler Heat Exchanger" on my 1.9 JTDM had a leakage between "oil and water" . It costed me lots of money. I could not find original Alfa PArt, I had to use original GM Opel 2.0 CDTI "Heat Exchanger". And now last month again it started to leak again. Now I've bought cheap ass chinese 2.0 CDTI heat exchanger for the time. But I want to replace all the stuff with normal oil cooler radiator. As you may know I have a CNC, And measured the "Heat Exchanger" and draw it in CAD. I can put separate oil cooler radiator on front of the car. But I have some questions.

"HE" = Heat Exchanger

1) What is the real purpose of the Water Cooled - Oil Cooler?

Is it because it is always heat exchanging with the water, and oil temps never can go down lower than coolant temp? Some of my friend told me that Water keeps the oil temp high to maintain the operation temperatures of oil. And they told me if I use only a radiator in front of the car. Oil temps may be too low. So I want to hear from you what do you think ?

2) "HE" keeps the oil pressure drop low.

If I use a radiator in front, maybe hoses and radiator will cause pressure drops and it will damage the car... What do you think about that ?

3) Should I use thermostatic Oil Radiator Feed ?

Do you ever know such a thing? Do you think I can fit it in to my car? do you know any design about it ?

Please Help me, I want to finish the upgrade as fast as possible before any failure on this cheap "HE"
1.. yes it helps oil get up to temp but mainly used as cheaper than full oil to air setup. oil temps wont be too low as soon as you use the car..
2.. never heard of an oil to air oil cooler dropping oil pressure unless massive oversized fittings or pipes used .. also has the added advantage of adding a little more oil capacity
3.. yes as it does stop the oil over cooling and allows the engine oil to get to temp faster

you can usually remove the filter housing etc water to oil cooler plates and get a suitable oil take off or sandwich plate with thermostat from the likes of https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/performance/engine-tuning/oil-coolers-accessories/shop-by/brand/364/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4q7DwMHg5QIVWYXVCh2x_wOVEAMYAiAAEgKl_PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
636 Posts
1) i read some stuff about that a lot of people says, the oil needs longer to get on temp with oil/water exchanger then with thermostat regulated oil air cooler
2) never heard about that
3) Yes, off course. Your oil is very fast on temp. I have some videos about oil temperature in my youtube channel. My car with stock front oil air cooler and stock oil thermostat needs from 7 to 60°C oil temp and 4°C ambient around 6 minutes.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Alfa 159 2.4 JTD use this oil filter adapter with oil cooler connector

But the 2.4 has also a different oil pump, compared to the 1.9 16v

1 - 9 of 9 Posts