Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of sounding lame, is it possible for me to change the airfilter myself? I had a go and for the life of me couldn't get the lid off. After consulting the owner's handbook I see they say this should only be done by qualified Alfa service people as it is mounted directly to the oxygen sensor etc. I am sure that many people have done it - is there anything you need to do other than take out the two long bolts in the middle and the two on the side by the wing? Do I have to unbolt it from the oxygen sensor as well? It looks well sealed.
Thanks,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I assume the V6 filter and box is the same as the 16V model. Only remove the 2 long screws in the middle and the 2 short one on the side. Then pull the top part towards the right hand side of the car, thus away from the fender where you are working.
Very easy really. No reason why one can't do it at home.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had the same problem. Turns out the threaded metal inserts in the bottom half of the airbox had rusted onto the bolts. So I was unscrewing the inserts from the housing instead of the bolts from the inserts, if you get my drift. With the bolts and the inserts sticking out underneath the lid, I couldn't get the lid off. Worse the lid didn't seal properly on the filter element! The DPD (dreaded previous dealer) had simply left it this way, as the one bolt that wasn't rusted solid had been smeared with copper grease and put back in. Bastards! Did I mention the missing aircon before? And the cross-threaded oil drain plug? Seizing rear calipers? The list goes on and on..

My solution: rip out the air box and put in a K&N induction kit. No power gain to speak of, but it revs more freely at high revs, and boy, does it sound the business!! :D

Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You woosy 4-pot boys have it easy.

1) First unbolt the 4 screws holding on the lid of the airbox. You'll be able to lift the lid but not take the air filter out, as the lid is half way inside the front wing.

2) Undo the single nut on the bracket next to the battery. From memory (car's too far away for me to go look) this just holds the air sensor in place.

3) Undo the funny circlip that holds the rubber tube coming out of the air sensor to the injection box.

4) There's a connector block attached to the air sensor. Now it's loose, you should be able to unplug it (it has a clip holding it in place, so remove that first).

The rubber tube, air sensor and airbox lid should now be completely unattached to anything else and can be removed from the car, with a bit of jiggling about.

The refit is the opposite way round but be warned - that circlip is very awkward to do up again. May be worth replacing it with a big jubilee clip (or have one ready) in case it gets on your nerves or you can't do it) - you need a good pair of pliers.

Ralf S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree with Ralf except I didnt undo the rubber tubing, its possible to work the top out without doing this.

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The V6 airbox is the same as the 8 valves so us old 4 potters are tough aswell !!!

Marlon

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I Did my 8v the other week and Ralf is spot on, especially about the large clip on the rubber air hose - that took me AGES to get back on and a jubilee clip is certainly recommended as a replacement. I`m not entirely sure that you can get the top off the filter housing without taking the air hose off as wrinx suggests, but if he's done it then I guess you can! The only disagreement I have with Ralf is that the electrical connecter to the airbox needs removing. I didn`t find this necessary (in fact the manual says not to bother) and was happy to leave all electrical wiring well alone.

I too had a dreadfull time with the airbox bolts - all of mine had seized and had to be drilled out. That was pretty easy and the replacement bolts from Alfa are cheap, although I would say that the screw thread of the bolts is common and you can get similar bolts from you local (un)helpful car parts shop.

One final point. There is absolutely no other way to get the air filter removed and replaced without taking out the four bolts. The air box cannot be removed completely without taking half of the front of the car off first so don`t even bother trying (I did, for days!). Those bolts must come out!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I'll give it another go at the weekend. Its winter here and its dark by the time I get home during the week. I'm pretty sure my bolts are OK because I had them all out the last time. I just couldn't see what else was holding the thing together.
Thanks again,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts