Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Some time ago some dozy T**t damaged my front wing while my 147 was parked up in a supermarket car park and then buggered off without leaving any details etc.

Anyway today I managed to pick up a replacement wing from the guys at Autolusso (Cheers Clive & Ned for your help), the colour match is perfect.

How hard is it to replace the wing ensuring all the shut lines are good, I have the replacement wing so I can use that as a map for the physical fittings, I assume the sealant has to be cut through with a knife but how do I remove the sealant from the chassis and replacement wing prior to fitting?

Also what sealant should be used for the replacement and how should it be applied?

I know it's best to remove the bumper and wheel - anything else?

Or would it just be easier to take it to a bodyshop and get them to replace it? if so anyone have an idea of how much £?

Cheers folks and Happy New Year.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
You will have to remove the wheel arch liner and bumper - the replacement should give you an idea of where the bolts are - and of which seams to seal.

Best to remove the headlight too.

There are brush on and gunnable sealants made for the job from various suppliers anywhere that does automotive paint and panels will advise.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cj romeo, my local bodyshop suppliers have gunnable sealant for £6 quid.

Is there an easy way to remove the old sealant without using a metal scrapper cutting grooves everywhere? Especially from the new wing, as it's off the motor it's not the easiest thing to work on keeping the good side good.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone got a pick of a 147 bumper with all the fixings marked on it, it would be of massive help.

Cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
I skidded on the snow tonight and hit a hedge:cry: so I'm going to need a new wing. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with fitting the new one Chillihound so I can decide if its a DIY job or not

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I skidded on the snow tonight and hit a hedge:cry: so I'm going to need a new wing. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with fitting the new one Chillihound so I can decide if its a DIY job or not
Initially it looks like the wheels, inner wheel arches liners and bumper have to come off, then the physical fixings on the wing followed by cutting through the sealent - this bit concerns me also finding a way to remove the sealant from the replacement wing is something I still have to figure out.

Gotta get some torx bits and a day when it's not freezing and i'll get stuck in - i'll take plenty of pics if it helps you out.

It may still be cheaper for you to source a good replacement and have a bodyshop just do the refit if you have doubts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
finding a way to remove the sealant from the replacement wing is something I still have to figure out
Use a long thin blade available from B&Q etc and cut it away.

Ps it only takes 5 mins to remove the door and it will give you much more room to work, will photograph a 147 front end tomorow when i get in to show you the mounts ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll go and have a chat with the bodyshop we use with work tomorrow, if they come back with a reasonable price, I'll let them fit it as I expect it could be one of those jobs that will be a real pain in the bum - The side of the car could probably do with a polish as well to remove the scratches.

On the plus side I've already spotted a replacement wing on ebay for £40 but I've had another quick look at the car and I'm going to need to replace the wheel arch liner as well. The wing mirror has taken a beating as well, but I'm hoping I can repair that (its still in one piece and all works) but I think I'm going to have to wait until it is light outside to truly appreciate the damage I've done.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
St1nky, cheers much appreciated.

mcbain, try AutoLusso - I know they have had a 147 in recently as thats where I got the wing so you should get a wheel arch liner ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Need to remove the arch liner 3 small screws (easier with no wheel on)

1,2,3 show bumper mounting points, 4 looking up to the bottom lip of the wing where the bumper meets it, 5 wing removed from car.

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Chillihound / mcbain

Did you manage to do this yourselves? How tricky a job was it?

I have a water leak in the area of the top conrner of the bonnet/bottom conrner of windscreen and the only step I can think of next in my investigation (after checking all drains etc) is to remove my front wing and seal up everything in sight behind it.

If it is an easy 'nuts and bolts' diy job I will have a go myself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry hopeisimportant,

I let the bodyshop fit my new wing so I'm not sure how involved it is. Although saying that it was very cheap to have it fitted so it must be relatively quick and easy job.

Good luck though:thumbs:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Water Leak...

Chillihound / mcbain

Did you manage to do this yourselves? How tricky a job was it?

I have a water leak in the area of the top conrner of the bonnet/bottom conrner of windscreen and the only step I can think of next in my investigation (after checking all drains etc) is to remove my front wing and seal up everything in sight behind it.

If it is an easy 'nuts and bolts' diy job I will have a go myself.
Hey so obviously this was a long time ago but interested if you found the leak?
Did the leak go inside the cabin?
Took me months but eventually I found out why it was coming from the top of the window seal, then dribbling down inside the A frame then into the floor area at the side of the dashboard.
Found this of course after sealing everything else!!!!!:censored:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hey all!

Old thread I know but I'm looking to do this...

So I already have a match where I'm looking at having the bonnet and front bumper off a donor Silver 147 (paint codes and rough age match and in UK)
I'm wondering about having both the wings too (If in good nick) as my Starboardside wing has a deep scratch and dent, the Portside has a scratch;
Pls both sides have dents on top of the wings whereby people have leaned on it for maintenance (as have I probably before i started noticing it)
I'm just wondering how easy a job it is to do and considering I'll be having the bumper and bonnet removed at some point though I don't know if I trust myself with sealant etc. I think I'd rather get someone else to not bugger it up!
Cheers!:angel:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts