Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

It's time I replace my radiator and I'd like to take the opportunity to do it myself. I've never done anything other than change wheels so I'm a complete car DIY novice. I've looked at some YouTube tutorials (although none are specifically for gtv) and it doesn't seem a mamouth task. I've just moved house so don't have a mechanic friend to show me the ropes.

On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the difficulty for a novice? I really want to give it a go.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
It isn't difficult. A scale of 1 to 10, 1 being topping up the oil and 10 being a clutch change I would put it as a 4.

The problem you will have is age related. The Radiator support at the bottom can corrode and could give issues.

This is how I did mine:

Bumper off, Slam panel off, airbox and pipe out, Fans out.
Drain coolent from Radiator hoses (be carefull, old hoses can split)
Unbolt AC condenser from Radiator
Remove radiator
Wiggle old radiator out.

Reverse to assemble
Finally, fill with the correct ratio and colour of coolent, start the engine and bleed the radiator (Bleed screw on the drivers side corner of the rad) top up as necessary. Job done.

I deliberately did mine the long way as it gave me a chance to inspect a lot of the car while it was in pieces.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
The radiatore is probably a 3-4 on the scale of complexity.

You just have to unbolt stuff (if the top valance panel is a bolt-on job, that will save you taking the bumper off) and lift it out.

There's some trickiness if you have a/c since the radiator for that is in the way a bit.

Don't tip the coolant down the drain and don't get any on your mouth or lips since it's quite nasty stuff.

Also buy new jubilee clips to replace any you take off. If you have the original Alfa hose clips they have to be cut off and can't be re-used. If you have Jubilee clips on the hoses already, they're probably corroded and a nasty. :D New clips is a few quid more and a lot less hassle. Put some blue gasket or silicone sealant on the thread just before you tighten it up the last couple of turns. It'll stop the clip getting unscrewed by the vibrations.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much both, that's really helpful. I'm gonna give it a go next weekend. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Also buy new jubilee clips to replace any you take off. If you have the original Alfa hose clips they have to be cut off and can't be re-used. If you have Jubilee clips on the hoses already, they're probably corroded and a nasty. :D New clips is a few quid more and a lot less hassle. ...
Mikalor Supra stainless clamps get my vote- I'll never use "Jubilee" clips again unless I have to.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi BBK.

I changed the rad on my TS at the weekend.I have a limited ability on DIY car maintenance,and it took me about 3 hours altogether.
I took it out from the bottom of the car (after removing the cable tray and fan assy etc.) although I had taken the support bracket off not too long ago to paint it etc,so it wasn't too difficult too remove.
One of the most awkward things I found was re-attaching the AC rad to the main rad,in fact I could only get 3 instead of the 4 bolts that hold it on back in place,as 1 is really tricky to get at!:mad: Guess that's something I will have to return to at some point.:D
There was an air of tension after re-assembly/re-filling of the coolant,as the fans didn't kick in when they should have,but I hit the AC button to cool the engine temp down and then re-checked the elec.connections.After that they started working fine.Just done a road test tonight of about 20 miles mixed driving and it all seems hunky-dory!:)
I got my rad from coolparts on ebay for about £60 incl delivery and was very pleased with the quality and it was delivered next-day!

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers 916, I'll use 3 hours as my benchmark then :) Ian, I'll order those clamps now, thanks!

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Mikalor Supra stainless clamps get my vote- I'll never use "Jubilee" clips again unless I have to.
Aye! I use stainless too. They're easy enough to find now on fleabay and I'm done with creaky old seized up zinc plated steel ones... but even a new steel one is better than re-using an old one.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Just to add to the answers already given, while the rad is out, it's worthwhile giving the system a reverse flush to clean out the grot that'll be in there before refilling with new antifreeze.

In respect of the antifreeze, there'll be about 3 litres of water in the block which you won't be able to drain. So, add 3 litres of neat antifreeze when you're sure all clips are good and after that top up with 50% diluted to the max mark on the header tank. If you just refill with diluted antifreeze, it'll be understrengh owing to the 3 litres in the block.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Ref these superior make hose clips, can anyone tell me what size(s) and quantities are required to replace all the coolant system's jubilee clips on a Cf3 v6?

My car doesn't live at home, so I can't just go and look.

Many thanks, Tom

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
...but I think you will find that the ones on the cooling system are the non re usable type.
Mostly, and for the purposes of this thread, yes. Heater hoses are CLIC-R though as well as the hot water pipework to the throttle body and a few others. But the radiator will probably be jubilee.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Ref these superior make hose clips, can anyone tell me what size(s) and quantities are required to replace all the coolant system's jubilee clips on a Cf3 v6?

My car doesn't live at home, so I can't just go and look.

Many thanks, Tom
Anyone know the answer to this or how I can find out without actually checking on the car? Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tackled mine today, well only took old one out as new one only ordered Friday.

Taking everything apart was straight forward apart from the bottom right 8mm bolt holding AC rad to main rad, but tricky that one. Had to jack it up and take it out of the bottom as here was no way it was coming out of the top

Hopefully new one arrives Monday and I can get it working again later this week

1 - 19 of 19 Posts